Salt!!! Did you know????

Options
Coco_Puff
Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
Did you know that 1/5 tsp. of salt has 590mg. in it? I didn't, I've been thinking that logging my food's sodium was enough. But what about the sprinkles here and there on my brown rice or brocoli? My Gosh, I had no idea? What are you guys using as a salt substitute?

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't know about salt substitutes, except for fresh herbs and other spices, but I do know that you will lose your taste for it if you cut back the sprinkles and gradually stop adding salt to everything. The amount of sodium in processed foods is alarming isn't it?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I just don't add salt. It took a little while to get used to not having it as a flavour, but now any foods with medium/high sodium, and anything with added salt, I just can't eat. The taste is too strong. McDonalds fries nearly make me sick when the salt's added in advance, for instance. I used to love them.
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do... use sea salt at all times!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. I have been really good about eating cleanly (for the most part) but, as a foodie, You have to salt things to bring out the flavors. I use kosher only and i use it liberally. Sodium is the only thing you can water away. So, I just enjoy it and drink lots of water. Salt vs. processed food sodium and preservatives are two different animals.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use salt all the time and I don't log it. I just make sure I drink enough water to help with the bloat.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use reduced sodium salt... Not quite the same taste though. I just drink lots of water x
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I never use salt.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The same way you developed a taste for salt... you can develop a taste for no salt. You will get used to it after a while trust me.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sea Salt has a lower sodium content and tastes good. I only add it to recipes and log it. I use Mrs. Dash seasoning blends and they add tons of flavor. My favorites are: Italian Medley, Grilling Chicken Blend, and Southwest Chipoltle. All of them are fantastic. We don't miss salt with these seasonings.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Low sodium salt ("Lo-Salt" i think its called) or i use a tiny sprinkle of black pepper.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I use salt all the time and I don't log it. I just make sure I drink enough water to help with the bloat.

Same. I'm ALWAYS over on sodium but I drink a ton of water every day
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A bit of real information on sea salt vs. table salt.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Low sodium salt ("Lo-Salt" i think its called) or i use a tiny sprinkle of black pepper.
    Pepper is my go-to man.
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use NuSalt. Its Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride. Potassium is essential in helping with regulating sodium in your body. Thus helping with blood pressure.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I am always over on my sodium. I do not add salt to anything. I drink a large amount of water, but if I am over my sodium for the day, I am bloated & puffy. I do take a water pill on top of that. So, does anyone know - can you just be 'salt sensitive'? I know that salt has no calories, but if you have it it can mask weight loss due to water retention. Is that the only reason?
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sea Salt has a lower sodium content and tastes good. I only add it to recipes and log it.

Check the facts. Sea salt is not lower in sodium than "table salt". Salt is salt and has the same amount of sodium per teaspoon. However sea salt supposedly has more flavor which is supposed to make you use less plus the bigger crystals are supposed to make you use less because you can see it. Plus some people believe it has more nutrients. But definitely doesn't have less sodium.

My tip is to stay away from processed foods and lower your sodium intake that way. Don't throw away the salt shaker. Processed foods may have a lot of sodium, but they are missing the iodine that is added to iodized salt. Most sea salt doesn't have the iodine either. People can develop an iodine deficiency because they are no longer using the iodized salt.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sodium at all. *Shrug*
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t add extra salt to anything never have ( also don`t add pepper just never liked it)
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I dont use salt on my foods. I've learned that I can eat without it.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sea salt leaves you without the necessary iodine. Try sprinkling your food with lemon juice or adding lemon zest for natural saltiness.