Pureeing Tomatoes?

The_Ub
The_Ub Posts: 7 Member
I found a recipe for a low sodium spaghetti sauce. The directions say to puree 15 roma tomatoes, so being the culinary genius I am I looked up how to puree tomatoes on the net. All the directions I could find involve boiling them for a little while and then peeling the skins. My question is, could I just make this sauce by simply putting the tomatoes in the blender right from the get go?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Blanch and peel. The peeling is gross if you just blend it up. I also try to seed mine first. Turns out really great if I peel and seed.

Had to fix that nasty typo, I hate those.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Blanch and peel. The peeling is gross if you just blend it up. I also try to seed mine first. Turns out really great if I peel and seed.

Had to fix that nasty typo, I hate those.
    This. Take a little extra time unless you want the fiber.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    If you don't peel, you will end up with rolled up bits of peel when you DO cook the sauce. Some people are fine with this, but when I make tomato soup, i have to peel.

If you have local organic tomatoes, they are pretty easy to peel without blanching. My backyard tomatoes practically jump out of the peel in summertime.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    blanch and peel is the best way, I tend to but a cross in the top (not the stalk end) before boiling so that the skin is easier to peel.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    If the tomatoes are firm you can remove the skins with a good vegetable peeler. I hate the blanching method-- so messy and tedious!
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    you can also try something a little different... and super tasty. I chop my tomatoes in chunks, add chopped onions, mix in a bit of olive oil, baslamic vinegar, garlic, and S&P. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes at 375-400.

Then mash or puree. Makes a great sauce!
  • The_Ub
    The_Ub Posts: 7 Member
    you can also try something a little different... and super tasty. I chop my tomatoes in chunks, add chopped onions, mix in a bit of olive oil, baslamic vinegar, garlic, and S&P. Place on baking sheet and roast for 30-40 minutes at 375-400.

Then mash or puree. Makes a great sauce!

Wow, that sounds really good ,and easy! Will have to omit the Salt though.