2»

Replies

• xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options
    Polar FT4 LOVE it!
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I have a Timex and am considering upgrading to a Polar FT4. I think the Timex is fine but the FT4 gets such rave reviews... Plus I've had my Timex so long I think it might be on the way out!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 is AMAZING! I love love love mine! X
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on the Polar FT series..... I personally use the FT60 from Polar and love it.... Worth every bit of the 130 bucks I spent on it....
  • spottedlee
    spottedlee Posts: 372
    Options
    Chest strap was stressed over and over throughout the forum. Some HRMs have build-in heart rate in the watches so I am not sure what's the difference,, If the watch has a rate monitor, why the strap?
  • Lmkurtz725
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 610. I bought the watch on eBay and then bought the heart rate monitor at REI. REI has a great return policy. The watch was $285 (worth EVERY penny because of what it's capable of) and the HRM was $69,
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in a HRM with a calorie counter but there are over 1000 on Amazon! I do Beach Body Insanity and P90X so I don't even get the benefit of a crappy treadmill counter.

I was thinking of getting this model: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Sports-PHRM38GR-Monitor-Calories/dp/B006QP069S/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1332701547&sr=8-22 Pretty cheap and if it doesn't work well Amazon will always refund it and I will move up to a more expensive monitor.

You better check the return policy, because most HRMs are not returnable....due to the fact that you wore it while sweating and they can't resell it. I bought my Polar FT4 on Amazon, and I can't return it (not that I want to).

My friend bought that Pyle and hers quit working after 2 days. She bought a Polar FT4 like I have and it's working great. Don't waste money on a cheap HRM....it's better to buy a good one once.

I read lots of reviews, several of which said they returned various models. The key seems to be testing the monitor while you're resting (ie not sweating). I'd love to purchase something more expensive and proven (like Polar apparently) but I'm a medical student and my entire education and living expenses are financed by Uncle Sam thus I don't have extra money for fancy gadgetry. But my weight loss has plateaued and I thought this might be a good way to more accurately track calories and reinvigorate my workout.
  • mtnmchgrl
    mtnmchgrl Posts: 20
    Options
    I did a TON of research on the threads on here and Amazon reviews. I got the Polar FT7 and have been happy with it so far. I ordered it through Bodytronics, which several people on here recommended. It was a good bit cheaper than other sites.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay, the Polar it is!
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I ordered the Omron HR-100C Heart Rate Monitor on amazon for 36. I havent used it yet to say how well it works though.
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    Polar FT4, so far can't fault it! :) I got mine on offer from Amazon at christmas time. They are pricey but I think it's worth it! Even seeing my resting heartbeat improve is motivation.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Chest strap was stressed over and over throughout the forum. Some HRMs have build-in heart rate in the watches so I am not sure what's the difference,, If the watch has a rate monitor, why the strap?

The watch it's self does not have a monitor.. you need to touch the watch in order for it to get a reading. If you want it to count calories too, then it needs a continuous heart rate via the strap.. not just a touch it when ever you want deal.

Think about it.. You touch it once and reads 90.. it's going to keep reading 90(and basing the calorie count off of that 90) until you touch it again... So you touch it and reads 120, it will keep reading 120(and then start basing the calorie count off that 120) until you touch it a third time. VS the chest strap model where it will automatically feed it to the watch, so it will go 90, 100, 95, 115, 120, 125, 120, etc.. no needing to stop and touch and worry that it's accurately estimating calories.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Im buying bodybugg its like 129 or something and tells you calories burned all day long
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 from bodytronics for $60. I was surprised at how easy it is to use, and at how the chest strap doesn't bother me during exercise.
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    :frown: i should of bought a polar...