Seeking.....a different kind of support (binge eaters)

Options
I need super supportive friends. I have been on MFP for awhile, and everyone is great. BUT, I haven't opened my diary to the public or my friends yet. I have been struggling with a binge eating disorder for years. I sought treatment until I could no longer afford it or see the point in it. While I understand that part of the process is being held accountable for your choices, I feel that....by being honest and recording my "bad" moments and the...relapses (for lack of a better word) that happen I am being more accountable for myself than I've ever been before. However, I need to move forward and some accountability to others is what I think the next step is. With that said....I'm seeking friends who have 100+ pounds to lose, and people who have experience with or understand binge eating disorders who can offer some support, guidance, advice, ect.

Thanks for reading my post and being supportive!

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65 lbs and still struggle with binge eating (last night is a prime example), so I might be able to help you out. My log is public. I would like to help out any way I can
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For the past few years, I've done very little of the actual physical work to lose weight (controlling eating, ect) but I've been doing a lot of therapy, learning about my triggers, and the reasons "why". So....I'm at the beginning of the hard stuff and the struggle is much more frequent. I would appreciate any help I can get!
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have 85lb still to lose, and have currently lost 12lb.

I understand the binge eating and I've found this site the best to help me control it, and also hold me accountable as you say.

I've been on here about 2 yrs, but last year pretty much stayed off and tried the WW/SW route, which failed miserabley, mainly because of the 'free food' I ended up overeating. I felt like i was heading back out of control.

Please feel free to add me x :flowerforyou: x
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've got at least 140lb left to lose, I got to my biggest by binging on the usual stuff and the only way I stopped was to cut it all out for the best part of a year. I had hypnotherapy to help break the link with bad habits I had convinced myself I was obsessed with food and it was my best friend the therapy taught me to stop telling myself the bad stuff was true, be positive and be kind to yourself, don't beat yourself up. I occasionally have what I consider to be a bit of a blow out (only after a year of losing weight did I do this), but I'm nothing like I was just over a year ago. My habits have changed, and so have I.

You can add me if you would like to :happy:
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rawrxamberx
    rawrxamberx Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm here with ya! I am on the mission to lose 100 or more pounds! Because I've been overweight for most of my life and I'm ready to break this cycle. Feel free to add me! I know what it's like to go from eating great, to going back to old habits. Which is my main problem. Plus the lack of exercise. We can be support for each other? (:
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Hey, you can add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm a newbie. :smile:

I lost 50lbs and have 10/15 to go. It took me three years to get here, and I spent a year of that struggling from binge eating disorder. I still binge sometimes, but for the most part, I'm recovered!

The reason I've been stuck at this weight is solely down to binge eating on weekends...at my worst I would eat really healthy and exercise during the week, but on Friday Saturday and Sunday, sometimes into Monday, I would gorge myself on 5000+ calories a day of bread, crisps, chocolate, takeaways, you name it!

I find that the only true way to stop myself from binging is to simply NOT START, to not let myself take that first bite of my trigger foods. I'm 7 days binge free at the moment, the last binge I had was at my sisters birthday when my mum got a huge Chinease take away and lots of pringles, cakes etc!

You can get over it, and make it happen less frequently. There are a lot of steps to take, and I'm willing to answer any questions you have!

xxx
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:

I have lost 20 pounds since Feb. 1st and I have another 93 pounds to go....give or take a couple pounds....depends on how I feel when I get there. It's been since early middle school since I have weighed what my in head goal weight is, (if that makes sense)

so I might change it once I get there. :smile:

I think I got to where I am by binge eating. Something made me mad, binge. Something made me happy, binge. I'm sure you know the drill.
  • changeofideas
    Options
    i feel like i might be a closet binge eater, only occasionally and i probably hide it fairly well but i could definitely benefit from reading your stuff and how you stop yourself from eating when you're not even hungry.
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've had BED for forever, and EDNOS and i'm trying to curb my emotional eating. It's going to be hard. I stopped seeing a nutritionist ages ago because all they would tell me would be to EAT LESS. DUH. If I could, I would, but I had so many emotional issues tied with it. So...in short, i'll provide you support. if you're struggling just message me!
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Hi, i don't suffer from an eating Disorder, but i suffer from Crohn's disease. And that is a stomach disease that literally eats away at your insides. So doing any diet is hard from me. I've got 20-25 pounds to loose. And all the healthy foods that are on most diet list I can not have.
    But I do Zumba, and I can tell you this will help your weight loss. It's working out without even knowing that your working out. And my mother has lost 40 pounds in less than 2 months. Not only will it help your weight loss, but all the women that go to these classes are a positive reinforcement. Our instructors are RNs and there is women of all ages and sizes that go to out class, so even we all arent loosing weight we are loosing inches, very rapidly. So maybe you should try a class.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Please add me as your friend :) Everything is going to be okay!
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Im aimee and i have about 160lbs to lose and too also am a binge eater x
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I know this thread has been quiet for a few weeks ... but I wanted to post and just add that I am struggling with the same thing. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but it is a big problem for me. Kind of intermittent, but over the past few weeks it's been pretty awful. I have a new counselor so we haven't gotten 'deep' yet - but we will. I also have a wellness coach that I'm hoping to use as an accountability partner. But I am just so tired of starting over, and making the same mistakes. My impulse is to isolate myself and feel like crap. You can guess how well that works (not at all). I still feel like crap! But at least I'm reaching out ... so please friend me if you want. Thanks.
  • livejaz
    livejaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have 100+ lbs to lose, but I have lots of experience with Binge eating. I suffer from 3 eating disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia with severe binge and purge cycles, and orthorexia (an unhealthy obsession with healthy food). Which one I am experiencing depends on the time of year and what is happening in my life. I have had these issues for over 8 years. It started a summer in high school with purging every time I ate and quickly spun out of control. This is the first time ever I am mentioning it in public, and I am proud to do so. It is my first step to being better. I have tried over 10 different psych meds and I do not suggest any of them. Add me, we can work on holding each other accountable for our choices and moving away from binging, and enjoying in moderation. :)

19353678.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bhogie
    bhogie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I, too, an a binge eater, though I have less than 50 lbs to loose (thus it is easier to hide my binge eating). Remember to forgive yourself for past skew ups and don't ever, ever give up on yourself! I'm online everyday if you need a friend.
  • lollaler
    lollaler Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, i am a binge eater .. trying hard not to be... i seem to always go for that bad snack to fill my craving...
    i have recently joined and finding it hard to stay at 1200cal...... in saying that i am determined to get there and stop choosing those empty snacks with high calories.
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't even picture myself being 110 lbs but that is my ideal weight putting me at needing to lose 228lbs. Right now if I could even lose 100lbs I'd be ecstatic. But yea, not to be mean but I tend to shy away from people who only have like 15lbs to lose.

As far as binge eating, when I was still living at home was when I feel it was the worst. I still have times of doing it though, especially when I feel my life is out of control but its not as constant as it was then. But even if I don't sit down and eat a whole package of cookies or gallon of ice cream by myself anymore, I still have times I keep eating when I'm not only not hungry, but it no longer even tastes good. So it would be great to have somebody else to talk to about this kind of stuff.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. Feel free to add me. I have tried a lot of things too including therphy. I am determined to not give up no matter what.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to offer you support in your journey. I do not have 100lbs to lose and I do not have an eating disorder, but I am a nurse and understand that it is a disorder. I applaud your effort to hold yourself accountable and hope and pray you find the support you need to overcome your disorder. Remember this...you matter...your health matters.