Starvation mode; more myth than science?

Options
I found this article and wonder if this is true? I have not found that my intake of 1,200 calories a day with 300-400 calories of exercise has caused me to stop losing weight; in fact I am losing rather quickly. I guess its really about knowing your body and how it reacts.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    'Starvation mode' kicks in after a long, loooong time of depriving your body of adequate nutrition. And you lose muscle along with fat by eating too few calories, even while exercising. A slow and steady weightloss is the only weightloss that is maintainable long-term :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You will find that most people do not say you will not lose weight while in starvation mode - but you will lose it slower (a fact actually noted in the article you referenced) but it is not an efficient way to lose. Why eat less and lose weight slower?

Also, weight loss on the scale is not the same as fat loss. If you are in 'starvation mode' you will be losing a higher proportion of weight from lean body mass than you would be if you are not in 'starvation mode'. Have you had your body fat tested? While most of the body fat tests are not too accurate, it would be interesting to see how much fat v lean body mass has been lost.
  • OptimumMe
    Options
    I've thought about this quite a bit. I think our society is reluctant to accept things that aren't solidly measurable. "Starvation mode" is one of those things.
    From experience and learning from other people's experience, I absolutely believe that "starvation mode" is a real thing. There are so many variables though, that its hard to measure. Different people react differently, protein/carb/fat intake probably plays a big part, as well as amount of exercise.
    "Starvation mode" is also a bit vague. Basal metabolic rate (and caloric intake and exercise's effects on it) seems more realistic and provable.