Baked Potatoes still considered healthy ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Don't have one often, but I remember when baked potato with a healthy topping was considered a very good meal.
Are they still considered a good food if someone is pretty active ?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When were they considered bad, save for the carbophobes who fear them?
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Full of vitamins, fiber and tasty! Just make sure you don't top it with a bunch of fat and salt, and you are all set!

Love me some baked spuds!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    See no reason why not, it's the condiments not the potato, look up the nutrition in the diary, good stats, most folks will say, eek, white potato but they are good sources of lots of nutrients so with a healthy topping, you bet.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be a super common thing for someone who's diabetic but after that, it's fine.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Thanks and yes, they seem to have a bad reputation among the dieters who go low carb and low GI even, although I think baked are considered better than most other kinds.

I have healthy toppings, usually soup, cottage cheese or soup and seafood etc. I don't use butter or spreads. Although I am at the bottom of my ideal weight, I like to keep it that way.
  • Charabbidan
    Charabbidan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As long as you know how they're cooked. May sound obvious (in the name and all) but my local Wetherspoons (good old pub food) has the potatoes pre-baked, frozen and then popped in the deep fat fryer when ordered. Very misleading :(
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love them... some tuna, or even an egg in them and a lovely salad and with the microwave you have an instant hot satisfying meal - and the skin is the best bit, especially finished in the oven to crisp it up!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of piling on the toppings, butter, light sour cream, cheese... but I work it into the meal, if I have a potato then I either have it by itself, or with something light on the side like baked fish... I love baked potatoes.

With what you describe as your healthier toppings, heck ya go wild.. no reason to hold back.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Not the way I make them...LOL! I was thinking bout making some twice-baked ones tonight (with neufchatel & cheddar cheese, bacon, green chili, and chives)...

Damn you, mom and dad, for teaching me how to cook the fattiest, most unhealthy, and fantastically delicious food!!! AHHHHH:ohwell:
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    Im having baked potatos tonight.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This thread is seriously making me crave a baked potato- with turkey chili and some light sour cream, please!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes of any sort, they contain Potassium - they're my friend :D
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Baked sweet potato is even better.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah they're good. Salsa and sour cream for me, sometimes chili.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Now I want baked potatoes for dinner but it's too warm to turn on the oven :sad:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Love them with just a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a pat of butter, but even better with cheese, bacon and a squirt of ranch dressing. :heart:
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Glad I got a few people craving baked potatoes, never knew a thread could be so powerful, lol.
    I tried sweet potato, but found it almost too sweet for my personal taste.
    And yes, the potassium is a plus for me as I sweat a lot when I cycle and tend to get low sometimes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Skip the sour cream, top 'em with plain Greek yogurt! :bigsmile:
  • ginamcoyle
    Options
    Skip the sour cream, top 'em with plain Greek yogurt! :bigsmile:

Was just thinking that, is it any good? I havent substitued greek yogurt for anything yet because I'm nervous as to how its going to taste haha!