Anyone Using a Kitchen Scale?

Options

Replies

• Linda1053
    Linda1053 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have used mine from the start but not for everything. Then I decided to weigh it all and realised I was undercutting myself with certain things. So now I find it easier. They sit on my kitchen windowsill, they are not very big but, but they are big in getting rid of my weight. It is well worth making the effort :)
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use one and LOVE It!
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    I use mine daily! It makes things alot easier and I actually feel better after knowing everything is counted correctly! Best of Luck!
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Everyday...weigh everything! 20 bucks at Walmart. You can get fancier ones that calculate calories also.
  • hmbwave
    hmbwave Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with every post I've read here - not only will it help you calibrate eyeballing portion size (helpful for eating out) you may be pleasantly surprised that sometimes your guestimated portions were too small. My daughter just joined MFP and I purchased one from amazon and had it mailed to her - invaluable.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Most people on here are using kitchen scales.....What where price you pay, it is well worth it.....No way could I guess how much 30g is......Same with measuring cups and spoons...Normal teaspoon are no good as I feel they aren't exact....

Go and purchase yourself a set of scales....You won't regret it...........
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    My husband bought me a digital kitchen scale for my birthday!!! Now I know alot of women would be really ticked off by that, but it's one of the best gifts I've ever gotten, I weigh or measure everything before it passes my lips!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Buy one. I love it. You would be surprised what a portions looks like. Not what you though by eye balling it. They cost about $15-20 bucks well spent.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    everyday!
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    All the time. I love it. It clearly taught me my estimation skills are crap.

lol. well said! Mine too :)
  • xXKatrinaXx
    xXKatrinaXx Posts: 234
    Options
    i do, i measure out EVERYTHING. i love it!!
  • amandaroselewis10
    Options
    I use my scale daily, its well worth the money.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I use a scale to measure almost everything.

Same for me..........the scale from Walmart works GREAT!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    YES. Get a digital scale! I got a cheap(er) one at Wal-Mart and it works GREAT.
    It will make a huge difference. Just do it!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If it can't be measured, it can't be managed, to paraphrase Peter Drucker.

Some say that it is unnecessarily obsessive, but I challenge anyone outside of a professional chef to "guesstimate" within 10% accuracy consistently.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    $10 for my scale, $1 for measuring spoons, $1 for measuring cups; some of the best $12 I spent lately.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yes, it is a must have and inexpensive. Measure everything. it will make a difference.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Get one. Definitely get one. I tried eyeballing portions and quickly figured out that was useless. I now measure or weigh just about everything that is not individually packaged. Even just having a bowl of cereal I weigh out the cereal and measure the milk.

I've got a digital scale that weighs in both grams & ounces and has about a 10 lb capacity. Put a bowl on it, zero, add whatever I'm weighing, write it down on a pad of paper I keep next to the scale, zero and add the next food if there is one. Even if it's long list like making a salad, record it all. Go to the computer and log it into MFP.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes, you MUST get a food scale to succeed on MFP! Estimations are not accurate. I got a cheap one at walmart for four bucks. It is a lifesaver, because when you hit that button about completing this entry, you know that everything you put in is accurate.
  • skinnygirlhiding1
    skinnygirlhiding1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale & everyday I weigh everything. Unless its in its own container & already portion ready. I try to eyeball things but always doubt check with the scale. Its really helped me out a great deal. Good luck.