Knee Injuries: Tell me your success stories

Options
craig1970
craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
Anyone managed to take up running or triathlons following any serious knee injuries?
I ruptured my left quadriceps tendon about 18 months ago and although I can run and cycle, it aches daily and puts me off doing so.
I'm thinking of investing in a decent knee support to see if it helps alleviate the pain. Any tips/experiences/advice welcomed.
I already take glucosamine, cod liver oil and rosehip supplements. Any other suggestions?

Hit me!

Replies

• Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I injured my left knee in a motorcycle wreck 14 year ago. Also.overweight and work in an industry that keeps you on your feet 10 - 14 hrs at a time. Had chronic pain and when I started working out it got worse. Then my other knee also started aching. The best thing I did was lift light weights with my legs. Buy some expensive running shoes (nike zoom) I think and good padded socks. All that with progressively losing weight 30 lbs so far my knee pain is almost gone. I am tender after weight training but that is only about a day. I don't cringe when I see stairs anymore.
  • indiana458
    indiana458 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had two knee surgeries in the last 18 months--one in each knee. Both were for a torn meniscus--one they removed 70% of the cartiledge between the bones, and the other about 30%. I love running and exercising, but have had to "listen to my body" and not push it on those bad days where my knees ache. Also, I have found that insoles help absorb some of the impact and lighten the load off of my knees. Good luck to you!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My injury is a little less serious but I just finished physical therapy for my knee. I was hit by a car in 8th grade and never had any physical therapy for the knee I landed on when I slid off the car. My knee would lock up and slow down my ability to walk and turn into a limp, which isn't good being a pedestrian in Chicago. I would suggest the bosu. I did a lot of step ups and also flipping the bosu and doing squats making sure to distribute your weight evenly between the two legs. If you super stable you're probably not using the weaker side enough. My issues seems way more minor and it took almost 16 sessions total (1 hour each) of physical therapy to get my knee better but I still need to continue but at least I can actually know when the pain is okay and when I need to rest. If you have insurance see if you can get in with a DPT, it can really help get you back on your feet and teach you to safely work through pain. Good luck!
  • ntaylorut
    ntaylorut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL in April of 2010 playing basketball and had it completly replaced in October of 2010. I went though physical therapy for 6 months after surgery which ended in April of 2011. It has been almost a year since PT was complete. I still have pain every now and then but right now I am running 9 - 15 miles a week (3 miles at a time). I am only suppose to wear my brace if I am experiencing any pain or if I am going to run on an uneven surface. I am training for the warrior dash this June. I am still scared to play basketball again but I think I am getting close.

Edit...I weighed 281 lbs when I tore my ACL, that was the wake up call I needed and I am running at 231 right now, I still have a ways to go but I can really tell the difference on my knee when I work out. I was mulching my flower beds over the weekend and was carrying a 50lb bag of mulch and couldn't believe that is what my body use to be carrying around all the time. Another 50kbs and I will be happy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!