Women with Abs

Since I have joined MPF I have seen many images of women with abs. I didn't really think women could have them. Knowing that you exist, I want to know what did you look like before you had them? Like were you chunky, and then decided you wanted abs? Or where you thin, but wanted to be more tone?

How did you get them? What are your secrets? You exercises, or your favorite foods?

Replies

• ttillman19
    ttillman19 Posts: 54 Member
    I dont have them yet, but hope to one day. There has to be killer muscles hiding under the fat to carry them all these years...Just not sure what the skin that holds everything in is gonna do? Would also love to hear any secrets, ideas, etc.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 549 Member
    Lose body fat. I am no expert, but I now see my abs just from eating well and doing a Jillian DVD. I think I was fooling myself about how much body fat I had. I always thought I had big legs / calves. I couldn't buy most boots because they wouldn't fit over my calves. Now the boots I do have slide right on - NSV for me!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Lose body fat. I am no expert, but I now see my abs just from eating well and doing a Jillian DVD. I think I was fooling myself about how much body fat I had. I always thought I had big legs / calves. I couldn't buy most boots because they wouldn't fit over my calves. Now the boots I do have slide right on - NSV for me!

I think most of us can relate to fooling ourselves over how much body fat we have.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I had 3 kids, was 90 lbs overweight and there were no abs anywhere. I lost all the weight by eating right and working out. I hired a personal trainer and never did a single isolated ab exercise. What I DID do was to focus on form. A lot of weight lifting exercises use the core muscles and before I knew it, I had abs and muscles.

Then I got pregnant again. But I've lost most of the pregnancy weight and I can see the upper part of my abs now. YAY!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    I was underweight, with a high body fat percentage, i.e ."skinny fat". I decided to compete, so I had to bulk up and lose body fat. No secret other than training dirty and eating clean, i.e. cutting back on processed foods such as fast and fried foods, sodas ,etc.

I incorporated strength training to my cardio and combined both with eating better helped reduce my body fat and reducing my body fat brought out the abs. Abs are made in the kitchen, after all...
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,468 Member
    You really do need to lower your bodyfat. Abs are made in the kitchen. Once you get rid of the layers of fat, you will start to see your muscles underneath.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    First, if you can sit up and breath, you have abs, so I assume when you say "have abs" you mean visible abs. Because women typically have higher body fat than men, they are less likely than men to have visible abs, but it is still possible. As you may have gathered from that statement, the visibility of abs has little to do with the strength of one's abs, and a lot to do with one's levels of body fat. If you really want visible abs, work on getting your body fat lower.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    You really do need to lower your bodyfat. Abs are made in the kitchen. Once you get rid of the layers of fat, you will start to see your muscles underneath.

"Abs are made in the kitchen" - so true! LOVE this quote.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Since I have joined MPF I have seen many images of women with abs. I didn't really think women could have them. Knowing that you exist, I want to know what did you look like before you had them? Like were you chunky, and then decided you wanted abs? Or where you thin, but wanted to be more tone?

How did you get them? What are your secrets? You exercises, or your favorite foods?

Women have muscles underneath their fat, just as a man would - women just tend to have a higher %BF, so you won't see them unless the lady in question wants you to ;)

Mine are just starting to show through, I've always been slimmer at the top of my abdomen than over the rest of me - but they've only started showing since I started working them!! And I was fairly chunky yah. I do crunches/leg lifts, weights and a lot of swimming and running :)

I'd be really interested to see if people have other exercises to get them out, since I'm a newb at this! Need some ideas too :)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member

It might be more apt to say that abs are made by staying out of the kitchen, but yeah...
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    You have to have a low body fat % for them to show, eat right and cardio did the trick for me. :) Oh and no fast food or soda!!

It might be more apt to say that abs are made by staying out of the kitchen, but yeah...

not so sure I would agree with that, since I had to increase my food intake from 2-3 meals a day to 6 meals a day.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    You create your abs in the gym but they are revealed in the kitchen. Diet is critical to getting those abs to show through. I changed up my exercise and diet over the past 3 years. I started at 185 and now am down to 123 with a 25" waist and getting ready for my first fitness show. I never though having sculpted abs was possible for me, but any woman can achieve it through consistent exercise/strength training and a healthy meal plan that boosts your metabolism and helps burn off the body fat covering up that six pack!
    You create your abs in the gym but they are revealed in the kitchen. Diet is critical to getting those abs to show through. I changed up my exercise and diet over the past 3 years. I started at 185 and now am down to 123 with a 25" waist and getting ready for my first fitness show. I never though having sculpted abs was possible for me, but any woman can achieve it through consistent exercise/strength training and a healthy meal plan that boosts your metabolism and helps burn off the body fat covering up that six pack!

Yes, ANY woman with willpower, dedication, determination, motivation, inspiration, etc. can have abs.

Aw yea, congrats on your show!! Psst, its VERY addicting! Have fun and best of luck!!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member

Great advice!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    You create your abs in the gym but they are revealed in the kitchen.

"Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen." - I think that's my new favorite fitness quote/saying. :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member

I think I need a personal chef.
  • stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member

Did you do a fitness diet for weight lifting? If so, what did your diet consist of?
    My old roommate did a very extreme diet to get ready for competition and it turned me off to it. I do about 10-12 hours of cardio per week and 3-4 Body Pump/Group Power Classes as an instructor, but I struggle with the right portions of carbs vs. protien....Any suggestions would be great;o)
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    I have visible abs and have had them for most of my life (aside from pregnancy). In my case it is from having low body fat. I don't do tons of isolating ab exercises. I lift weights and do plenty of cardio, but honestly, I've got genetics on my side. My dad has extremely low body fat and is a relatively active person, but does not do any formal exercise and you can see just about every muscle in his body.