Runners, how do you breathe??

Options
2»

Replies

• JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I saw that if you have frequent "side stitches" try making sure you breathe on your left foot. I don't normally think about it unless I do get a stitch, then I concentrate on the left foot thing, and it works! Also, if you get any pain in the diaphragm, try breathing all air out possible and you'll feel the pain subside..
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I pretty much breathe from my belly and breathe in 2-3 steps and out 2-3 steps through both mouth and nose. Works well for me. I don't think about it much, except for when my lungs are starting to burn - like when my heart rate is in the mid to high 160's.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I breathe like a phone stalker. I find I get cramps if I think about my breathing too much though.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I can't think about it or it throws me off. I also have to breathe in and out through my mouth. I can't get enough air in through my nose.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do 2 breaths in on one step and two breaths out on the other...... Works for me!
  • cboyt
    cboyt Posts: 1
    Options
    hi i always run with a friend and spend so much time chatting i dont even think about my breathing!!!! xx
  • sheepiegail
    sheepiegail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    mouth closed. no bugs and no side stitches!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    inhale through nose, out through mouth
    i take 2 steps in-between :)

i can't talk with anyone because i concentrate on my breathing
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Natural...

What is with this counting stuff? It makes no sense, everyone is different!

Lung capacity, VO2 max, your endurance, weight, stride style, stride length etc etc...

Too many variables... If I'm going at a 7min/km pace maybe it's 2-3 in/out?

If I'm going at 4-5m/km it's about the same still as legs moves fast ya know...

Seriously... silly question, everyone is different, as nike would say... Just do it!...

Best advise from me? I've run countless half marathons, raced competitively in 5-10km and now moving to full marathons and ultras...

My advise? What comes natural is good, good steady breathing is the guideline, not breaths... at least for endurance, if you want to feel less winded? A good way is to expel air 1-2 breaths more than inhale and expel the air harder! Gets rid of CO2, and enriches the blood with better oxygen, but also places stress on HR so not efficient to do over a longer period than say 20-30seconds...
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    In through my nose twice, out through my mouth twice. The air is warmed up by the time it reaches my lungs, and it helps me keep pace.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it works to actually concentrate on it once you are able to run. I don't think about my breathing, and I do just fine.

I am interval training a friend, and she always wants to stop running before I want her to. Why? It isn't her body....it is because she's out of breath.

My advice to her was to consciously (until you can do it naturally, of course) think "SLOW DOWNNNNN" when you are breathing and calm your breathing. Breathing in and out super quickly only makes you lose your breathe more. It doesn't allow for you to absorb the o2 you need.

And my ultimate advice (since I'm assuming since you can't control your breathing, you aren't running yet) is when you slow down to catch your breath, THAT is when it is most important to consciously breathe deep and slow so you can re-oxygenate yourself.

Ask yourself this: are you not able to run because your body is screaming or because you are out breath? I guarantee you, you are out breath. 80% of running is breathing and 20% is mental. Breathe right and don't let yourself stop. There, you just learned how to run!!!!

P.S. I personally breathe in and out of my mouth because when I breathe in through my nose, it gets snotty....then I have no choice but to breathe in and out my mouth. I have just adapted, and I breathe naturally in and out my mouth. It doesn't matter where you breathe from....just slow it down. Don't count, don't take step....just think "SLOW DOWN" over and over as you breathe and it will slow your heart rate and increase your o2 intake.
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it works to actually concentrate on it once you are able to run. I don't think about my breathing, and I do just fine.

I am interval training a friend, and she always wants to stop running before I want her to. Why? It isn't her body....it is because she's out of breath.

My advice to her was to consciously (until you can do it naturally, of course) think "SLOW DOWNNNNN" when you are breathing and calm your breathing. Breathing in and out super quickly only makes you lose your breathe more. It doesn't allow for you to absorb the o2 you need.

And my ultimate advice (since I'm assuming since you can't control your breathing, you aren't running yet) is when you slow down to catch your breath, THAT is when it is most important to consciously breathe deep and slow so you can re-oxygenate yourself.

Ask yourself this: are you not able to run because your body is screaming or because you are out breath? I guarantee you, you are out breath. 80% of running is breathing and 20% is mental. Breathe right and don't let yourself stop. There, you just learned how to run!!!!

P.S. I personally breathe in and out of my mouth because when I breathe in through my nose, it gets snotty....then I have no choice but to breathe in and out my mouth. I have just adapted, and I breathe naturally in and out my mouth. It doesn't matter where you breathe from....just slow it down. Don't count, don't take step....just think "SLOW DOWN" over and over as you breathe and it will slow your heart rate and increase your o2 intake.

thank you!