hamburger or brat??? help!

Options
Tonight my family is cooking hamburgers and brats. I don't know which one is healthier in fat and calories please help me. I eat them in a bun with ketchup only if that helps. Which one should i choose for the healthiest???

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    i'd use the food database on here, you can calculate what fits your goals best
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Tonight my family is cooking hamburgers and brats. I don't know which one is healthier in fat and calories please help me. I eat them in a bun with ketchup only if that helps. Which one should i choose for the healthiest???

Ask them to cook turkey burgers for you, or go buy the turkey and just have them throw them on the grill for ya. Turkey burgers are pretty healthy.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Brat probably has the least nutritional value. Avoid bread and ketchup though.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How lean of meat do you use to make the hamburgers? What kind of hot dogs do you use? I mean either way you're going to get some fat and calories, but I think as long as you limit yourself to one (of either one) and then have like a salad as a side you'll be fine. Who knows? Throw some fruit in there for dessert! :)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would go for the burgers because if they are BBQ'ed that takes care of the fat. Whole grain bun, if you can. Better yet, bring a salad and have burger and salad. My experience with sausage is that they are LOADED with HUGE NUMBERS of calories. But you could always check the brat packaging for the nutritional values and calorie count.
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hamburger grilled on grill actually is not that bad...if it is the lean beef. But either way...I would probably stay away from the brat. We had hamburgers last week, and I did have one with a bun...no cheese...and a side salad. Just dont eat the "normal" sides to cooking out....like potato/macaroni salad/etc. You should be fine
  • enginerd81
    Options
    Brat probably has the least nutritional value. Avoid bread and ketchup though.

Why avoid ketchup?

Like others have said - bring your own. 90/10 lean beef is reasonable or turkey burgers - ditch the cheese or use a bit of shredded rather than a whole slice.

Brats usually have alot of salt.

Ditching half of the bun (or all of it) can help save calories.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    thinking about this, I'd choose the hamburger. Mostly because I'd make them at home (with egg, onion, maybe grated pumpkin mixed in). It is also 'open' - meaning that any fat will drain off, where the brat/sausage will have a skin and will retain the fat. With *my* hamburger, I'd also add lettuce, tomato, etc. Couldn't do that with a brat/sausage.