5k Fitness & NSV

Options
When I made the decision to get healthier and increase my fitness level, I decided that running was a fitness goal of mine. The history behind it - I've never been able to run and always hated it because of that. I started the Couch-2-5k back a couple months ago and have completed it through week 7... just a couple more to go! However, I ran my first 5k yesterday!!! I did some encouraging and got 3 other people to go down (about 160 miles from where we live) to our first 5k! One of my friends was so kind and encouraging and gave up running her first 5k to go along beside me as I ran like the turtle to finish it.

I did end up walking for about 5 minutes total, but I'm still proud. Especially considering I'm still at 300 lbs: 57 minutes, 38th overall, 8th in my age group. (Photobucket isn't working for me today... no pictures then!)

What a great experience! And all of the regret and doubt and self-discouragement that I felt at the beginning was totally worth it! I really can run! I cannot wait until I've lost more weight and it can be even easier!

Now to keep working on my endurance and speed, and right now the most important is my stride... Do you have any tips or suggestions for that? Maybe my strides are very small because of my weight?

I'm on to keep training for more 5ks... and using running to help me get in better shape and hopefully lose a little weight along the way!

Have a great day! Keep on moving it!

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a wonderful NSV!
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I made the decision to get healthier and increase my fitness level, I decided that running was a fitness goal of mine. The history behind it - I've never been able to run and always hated it because of that. I started the Couch-2-5k back a couple months ago and have completed it through week 7... just a couple more to go! However, I ran my first 5k yesterday!!! I did some encouraging and got 3 other people to go down (about 160 miles from where we live) to our first 5k! One of my friends was so kind and encouraging and gave up running her first 5k to go along beside me as I ran like the turtle to finish it.

I did end up walking for about 5 minutes total, but I'm still proud. Especially considering I'm still at 300 lbs: 57 minutes, 38th overall, 8th in my age group. (Photobucket isn't working for me today... no pictures then!)

What a great experience! And all of the regret and doubt and self-discouragement that I felt at the beginning was totally worth it! I really can run! I cannot wait until I've lost more weight and it can be even easier!

Now to keep working on my endurance and speed, and right now the most important is my stride... Do you have any tips or suggestions for that? Maybe my strides are very small because of my weight?

I'm on to keep training for more 5ks... and using running to help me get in better shape and hopefully lose a little weight along the way!

Have a great day! Keep on moving it!

That is amazing! I have a 5k coming up in May that I KNOW I will not be ready to run for as I am only on week 3 but I think there is no shame in walking in it so I think I'm gonna sign up anyway. thanks for the push!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! I have a 5k coming up in May that I KNOW I will not be ready to run for as I am only on week 3 but I think there is no shame in walking in it so I think I'm gonna sign up anyway. thanks for the push!

YES! Do it! You can do it! Even if you have to walk some of it - you may surprise yourself!
    My husband was so inspired (or something like that... lol) that he's starting C25K tomorrow :)