two weeks and nothing......help?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I was told by a dietician that it takes 6 weeks for the body to adjust to a new diet and exercise program and for results to start showing on the scale..

I find this is very true for me.. every time I clean up my diet and start eating better it takes about 6 weeks to see consistent losses on the scale
    I think that perhaps your dietician was in the bottom of his/her graduating class or you didn't understand what they were saying. Your body adjusts easily to a healthy diet, it's your brain that takes time getting used to it. I saw results the first week I started and within 2 weeks I had gained muscle and could see the difference.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was told by a dietician that it takes 6 weeks for the body to adjust to a new diet and exercise program and for results to start showing on the scale..

I find this is very true for me.. every time I clean up my diet and start eating better it takes about 6 weeks to see consistent losses on the scale
    I think that perhaps your dietician was in the bottom of his/her graduating class or you didn't understand what they were saying. Your body adjusts easily to a healthy diet, it's your brain that takes time getting used to it. I saw results the first week I started and within 2 weeks I had gained muscle and could see the difference.

I understood what she said and that is exactly what she told me .. I never said that her word was gold.. was just sharing my experience.. it unfortunately does take around 6 weeks for me to start seeing consistent losses on the scale.. I don't count the first week as a real loss as I know I'm losing water weight and such.

again was just sharing my personal experience :smile:
  • blackbetty66
    Options
    Thanks all, I will keep trucking on and hope it works out.... need to start getting active cause I can't give up my wine. To the person who looked at my diary, cheers, agreed although the cake I had was the first cake I have eaten in around a year, they make me sleepy so I don't eat em. I eat s++t pile of veges and protein at most meals, I dont eat ready made meals, nor processed foods. One good thing about living in NZ! I just seem to hold weight is all..... anyway like I said thanks heaps to all for weighing in.
  • blackbetty66
    Options
    I can't really help because I'm in the same boat. Disheartening isn't it? :( Sorry I can't be much help, hope some of the other members can give you some good advice!

Yep, sucks huh.....
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I dont eat ready made meals, nor processed foods. One good thing about living in NZ!

Maybe that's why you're maintaining, because you never ate crappy foods in the 1st place!
  • ibshell
    ibshell Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Also, don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. By doing more exercise, you increase your muscle mass, thereby making your muscles consume more calories even when sitting still.
  • ibshell
    ibshell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've understood that it is not actually true that muscle weighs more than fat. In reality, they weigh the same, but muscle is more condensed and refined. I think we like to believe that muscle weighs more so that when we are working out and the scale doesn't register a loss, we won't be discouraged. Concentrate more on your measurements, and you will be more satisfied with the results. On the other hand, it is definately true that muscle burns fat even when sitting still, which is encouraging when starting a regular training and exercise program. I'm sure you will start seeing the difference soon when you get to eating the right foods and become more active.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    After coming back to this site 2 weeks ago I have stuck to around my cal goal the entire time. I have not been working out yet but I plan to soon. I upped my cal goal to 1260 yesterday to see if it makes a difference and kept my desired weight loss at 1.5# per week. Last time I did this for 3 weeks and got nowhere with walking 4 times a week for 50 mins.... this time I am going to give it a bit longer but I thought I would have lost something in the last 2 weeks...... Any idea's or stories that are similar?

Do you know what your BMR and TDEE are?

1250 does seem low, and is probably under your BMR.

From my personal experience, my weigh loss got better when I ate above my BMR, but below my TDEE.

Also, remember to take measurements and check fat% and check them regularly for progress.

Have a look here for some tools for calculating your Bodyfat. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

Good luck :)
  • blackbetty66
    Options
    Three weeks now and some weight gain.....................aaaaaargggghhhh!!!
  • dfarmer6
    dfarmer6 Posts: 5
    Options
    UGH! Starvation mode is mostly a myth, and only happens if you have been eating WAY below your BMR for an extended period of time!!! Stop spreading misinformation!!

The message below is displayed on bottom of the food tab page of myfitnesspal when below 1200 calories for the day.

"Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum"

I had no intention of misleading anyone, only share information and experience. In addition, there are many other sources pertaining to subject of low calorie diets and the effects on the body.
  • dfarmer6
    dfarmer6 Posts: 5
    Options
    The message below is displayed on bottom of the food tab page of myfitnesspal when below 1200 calories for the day.

"Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum"

I had no intention of misleading anyone, only share information and experience. In addition, there are many other sources pertaining to subject of low calorie diets and the effects on the body.