Ruining your week with a huge calorie bonanza

Options
This is my first post here at MFP, which has absolutley changed my life. I've been doing so well, in the past month I've shed about 4-5kg, meaning I've reached half way to my goal much quicker than I expected! I'm starting the 30DS this week and plan to readjust my goals for the last 5kg after I reach 60.

Problem is, last night was a family dinner. Coming from a Macedonian background, the portions are huge, the food not exactly healthy (think cheese and meat and garlic and carbs in every possible combination) It is downright frowned upon if I don't eat like crazy. I completely overindulged in everything, Beans, barbebque, huge portions of salad with tonnes of feta cheese, and beer! After attempting to and probably not even covering everything!) log what I ate, I found myself at over my weekly calorie intake by 200 or so.

What plan do you all have when faced with meals like this? And how can I make ammends with my body after what I did to it?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Your body treats calories with a rolling total. You can decrease calories beforehand if you know it's coming. You can also eat less than needed for a few days (maybe more) afterwords to make everything back in balance.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'll admit to it: I binge-drank last night, and had a huge breakfast (around 1200 calories) this morning. I "prepared" for it by eating very clean, light meals for breakfast and lunch before my night out, and also doing an intense workout, so I ended up with 1300 extra calories to "spend" for the night without going over my limit for the day. My breakfast covered lunch today, and I'll be having a light, healthy dinner, so same deal.

There will be times where it's just sort of ridiculous to not induge, and I think exercise and going right back to eating healthy foods is really the best remedy. I'm not one for detox cleanses, I did one in the past and it did more harm than help :/
  • evakay1
    evakay1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheers everyone. I don't think I've done as much damage as I thought I'd did. It's mainly the guilt of coming off the bandwagon! I'll go for a run, have a protein shake and start a-fresh. Thank you :)
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's just the guilt talking. One day isn't going to make a huge difference and your way of dealing with it sounds reasonable. All you can do is keep on keeping on. We get a fresh start every day. You really are doing great.