Excess skin

sherri_pie22b
sherri_pie22b Posts: 28 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Is anyone concerned that they may have excess skin...I have alot of weight to lose so I think I may have some excess skin by the time i meet my goal...Is there anything that can be done to help prevent this from happening, because plastic surgery is expensive...

Replies

• mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    I've worried about it. But there is nothing much that you can do about it. The things I've found.....moisturize your skin as much as possible and lose the weight slowly! Other than that it's genetics and honestly how much damage your skin has received. At this point, after 115 pounds lost, I don't care about the skin....I"m just tickled because I'm soooo much healthier. (that said, I know that I'll have some skin...but not as much as I thought I would have).
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    If you are eating enough fat, drinking water and eating mostly natural foods and exercising, your body should "snap" back in place............

Your skin is an amazing organ!!! It expands and contracts, so even though it will take time to firm up, most people's skin will shrink back into place.

You have to take care of your skin though for it to take care of you!!!
  • sherri_pie22b
    Thanks so much for the advice guys...
  • LeanLioness
    Thanks so much for the advice guys...

You kind of remind me of my girl friend Allison!!!
    It is your smile that does it!
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    I also suggest, if you do atleast 3 times a week someking of weight training, it will help tighten up your muscles and will help to also tighten up your skin in the process! good luck :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    LL is right! It will come back. Just be aware, it will take a while, it doesn't come back in a couple of months, more like a couple of years, but it will come back, especially at your age. You should get almost full reclamation of the loose skin.

Make sure you get your vitamins! They are vital to healthy skin, and those healthy fats too, many vitamins use fatty acids as a transport medium, without it, you don't "snap back".
  • And make sure you get enough water. Water is essential for healthy skin! :flowerforyou:
  • sherri_pie22b
    LOL....Thats funny..Where are you from...
  • This is a great question because I've been worried about it too. Mostly, I'm worried about my arms. I'm hoping that by doing some weight training, the flapping skin will tighten up. :wink:
  • dantell13
    dantell13 Posts: 71
    Hey All. Palmers cocoa is great for helping with lose skin. And as per the above, plenty of water. Also find that being in the pool/ocean also helps. All of the above and more important, keep up the good work
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    There is hope for excess skin! I had 4 babies and my tummy has snapped back into place with lots of work but non the less its back and even better than before kids! Im working on the inner thighs now. I hired a personal trainer and the focus is lower body work all the way!

Steph
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    It DOES NOT "snap right back" in all cases. I lost weight, the old fashion way at a good pace, eating healthy, exercising, lots of water, balanced diet, ect....I have large amounts of excess skin around my stomach, arms, and a small amount on my back. I think it depends on how long you were overweight. I have been overweight for my whole life, so after about 20 years, it didn't snap back. I will require a tummy tuck & have a consultation in the Fall for it. Every case is different & the most important thing is that you are living a healthier lifestyle & feeling better about yourself! Best of luck!
  • LeanLioness

I am from Illinois, but my girlfriend lives in Virginia, where I was living until last year when I moved back to Illinois........

I am insane. I missed my family.
  • LeanLioness
    It DOES NOT "snap right back" in all cases. I lost weight, the old fashion way at a good pace, eating healthy, exercising, lots of water, balanced diet, ect....I have large amounts of excess skin around my stomach, arms, and a small amount on my back. I think it depends on how long you were overweight. I have been overweight for my whole life, so after about 20 years, it didn't snap back. I will require a tummy tuck & have a consultation in the Fall for it. Every case is different & the most important thing is that you are living a healthier lifestyle & feeling better about yourself! Best of luck!

I have seen people that have been over weight all of their life with no excess skin............

It takes TIME!! People want instant gratification and the whole tummy tuck is part of that instant gratification...........It can take years for the skin to "heal" and go shrink into place..........

To each his own though...........
  • LeanLioness

I am from Illinois, but my girlfriend lives in Virginia, where I was living until last year when I moved back to Illinois........

n1410486342_30091212_7843.jpg
  • sherri_pie22b

I am afraid that mine want either...I also have been overweight my whole life and I have 130 pounds to lose..How long did it take you to lose the weight...That is awesome...
  • sherri_pie22b

I am afraid that mine want either...I also have been overweight my whole life and I have 130 pounds to lose..How long did it take you to lose the weight...That is awesome...
  • sherri_pie22b

n1410486342_30091212_7843.jpg

Your family is beautiful....
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Sorry, but even with time, if the skin is damaged, it won't snap back. Skin with stretch marks, for example, rarely snaps back all the way. Plus, people's skin elasticity gets worse as they age. There isn't anything you can do about that and time only does so much.

It also doesn't really matter how fast you lose the weight. If you lose it slowly, your skin is snapping back as you go and you might not go through the shar pei look as much. But if you lose it fast, it will still snap back as much as it's able to over time.

Think of your skin as a balloon. If you blow up a ballon and let the air out, it doesn't go back to its original size. It doesn't matter if you let the air out fast or slow either.

Also, there is no exercise that tightens your skin. What happens is that you build muscles which fill in some of the space that used to be taken up by fat and that can disguise some of the skin flapping. But the skin size doesn't change.

Personally, I'm not too worried about it. I look way better now than when I was fat, even with lose skin, and I'd rather spend my money on other things than PS. So I'm just going to live with whatever doesn't snap back and it's clear that not all of it is going to no matter how many years I wait.
  • LeanLioness
    We will have to agree to disagree..............

Interesting article here.............

The Myth of Loose Skin...........It is too long to post........

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

And from a blog entry:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=2050536
This discussion has been closed.