does bad food count if your still under your calorie goal?

Options
If you keep under the calorie goal but you manage to sneak in grilled cheese and a muesli bar that has no nutritional value what so ever does it still count?
or say keep under your goal but accidently eat half a bag of chips :( surely thats bad but im under the goal!!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Meh, as long as its not an everyday thing it's fine!
  • catattack13
    catattack13 Posts: 117
    Options
    yes.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Depends how you feel. Some nights, I really stretch my calorie goal and incorporate lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, protein, etc.

But some nights, like last night, I had a whole box of Hot Tamale candies for dinner just because I really wanted them.

Straight-up weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit, no matter where you get the calories from. I say treat yourself to the "less healthy" stuff every now and then - knowing that I can have a whole box of Hot Tamales every once in a blue moon keeps me from feeling deprived :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i'm still at the 'as long as i'm under on calories' thing. I guess I should be watching nutrition.. but I love jelly beans and spearming leaves...
  • wantu2wantme
    Options
    To me it doesn't matter as long as your under!
  • AdamB311
    AdamB311 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Depends on your outlook on food beforehand
    Some people use MFP for a complete diet change to eat healthier
    Personally MFP has been brilliant purely for moderation, I still enjoy little snacks like crisps, just less of them
    And thats worked out pretty well for me :)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Funny, I did not know there was "Bad Food" , all food is fuel plain and simple, some is better than others but it is not bad.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Depends how you feel. Some nights, I really stretch my calorie goal and incorporate lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, protein, etc.

But some nights, like last night, I had a whole box of Hot Tamale candies for dinner just because I really wanted them.

Straight-up weight loss comes down to being in a calorie deficit, no matter where you get the calories from. I say treat yourself to the "less healthy" stuff every now and then - knowing that I can have a whole box of Hot Tamales every once in a blue moon keeps me from feeling deprived :)

Absolutely agree!

I had three pitas filled with peanut butter and banana for dinner tonight 'cause it fit in my calories!!! (I've been known to make less nutritious choices as well!!)
  • donnabirch123
    Options
    i eat total rubbish and stay under calorie goal, and im losing weight, each to there own, i would say if your doing a lot of exercise then you need to make sure you eat enough protein, i eat chocolate every day, sill losing 2lbs a week
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you keep under the calorie goal but you manage to sneak in grilled cheese and a muesli bar that has no nutritional value what so ever does it still count?
    or say keep under your goal but accidently eat half a bag of chips :( surely thats bad but im under the goal!!

Ahhh When I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking somebody was going to ask if EVERYTHING they were going to eat that day were bad, would it still be okay if they were under the calorie goal LOL!.

Blimey one bag of chips or that muesli bar is not going to hurt you x
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

How do these foods have no nutritional value whatsoever? Cheese has nutritional value. It depends on the muesli bar, but they have them too.

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    I asked the same question, essentially if your only counting calories, then staying under is staying under but I found I felt poorly after eating certain foods and for me this journey is about improving my quality of life, part of that journey is losing weight. yes I want to lose weight but I also want to feel healthy, positive and motivated.

Keep in mind some days are better then others, my goal is to have more better days.
  • super_jade
    Options
    Ive been told you want to lose weight live on salad and stop eating crap. but after joining i find i can still sneak in cheese (hmmm cheese) or some other form of naughty food and still be under my goal. feels like cheating!!
  • abrilgzl
    abrilgzl Posts: 6
    Options
    I believe that even if you stay under your calorie goal, one should try to stay away from eating those types of food. Yes you are under your calorie goal , but you have to ask yourself are you making good lifelong choices?
    I will use myself as an example, up to a few months ago I used to not have breakfast in the mornings, and just eat nonstop at dinner time, and I would always use that same excuse.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ive been told you want to lose weight live on salad and stop eating crap. but after joining i find i can still sneak in cheese (hmmm cheese) or some other form of naughty food and still be under my goal. feels like cheating!!

It's not cheating, because you want this to be a lifestyle change. Something you can stick to forever and still enjoy some treats without going overboard. Not 4 weeks of salads then 2 weeks of cheese, chocolate and chips because you are so over salad! haha
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    All food goes towards your calorie count.

You may also want to watch the protein, fat, sodium and other levels.

The foods you eat will all add up to your calorie limit but some foods will throw your fat and sodium levels way off while others may not provide enough protein. You don't have to match the goals exactly each day trying to come close is easier with what most people would generally consider to be "healthier" foods.

Just my non-professional two cents. (Speaking from my experience.)
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    All food is equal there is no bad or good food it's just food... This is how bad relationships with food start by categorizing bad and good food.

I like the 80% and 20% rule where if I eat 2000 calories 200 of these calories will be chocolate or whatever I want. Bottom line is the bank budget with your calories. :)

Eat what you love in moderation and stress less about if a food is good o bad and the progress will come.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    I believe that even if you stay under your calorie goal, one should try to stay away from eating those types of food. Yes you are under your calorie goal , but you have to ask yourself are you making good lifelong choices?
    I will use myself as an example, up to a few months ago I used to not have breakfast in the mornings, and just eat nonstop at dinner time, and I would always use that same excuse.

My lifelong choices will still include chips, grilled cheese, pizza, burgers, cupcakes, and more. I just watch my portions and have them occasionally instead of all the time. I don't want to have a life where I can't enjoy some of my favorite foods. It would not be a change I could live with and I don't think anyone should feel like they have to.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, stay under your calorie goal. This is a lifelong change, not something temporary.

That being said, you'll find your body performs better and is happier with better fuel.
  • silvabelle89
    Options
    I think that every once in a while is fine. But if most
    Of your diet is fairly low in nutritional value, then you could be setting yourself up for failure. By continuing to eat 'bad' thins, like sugar for example, your body will continue to crave it. The. When you stop 'dieting' you may be tempted to fall back to those foods you crave and may gain back the weight you lost.