kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Good morning:flowerforyou:

5 mile tempo run today.

Enjoy the day

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    5 mile run for me too! Very hilly but the sun was shining! Beautiful run! :bigsmile:
  • natalie523
    natalie523 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Natalie. I joined MPF around February and I have been lurking here for awhile. I have been running since I had my youngest son and he is now a little over two. I just want to say that you guys are amazing! On days that I don't feel like working out I log on here and I get the push I need. Anyway, I ran 5 miles this morning and the sun was out....a great way to start the day! Have a great day everyone!

Natalie
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    It's been a struggle to get back into the groove. We had a couple of rounds of cold and flu at my house and it really set me back. I thought I would be able to pick up where I left off and actually did okay for a week, then I hit a wall.

For 5-20-09, I was able to run for 15 min. at a 10 min. pace and then another 3 min. after a two min. break. Fri. I'm hoping to do the full 18 min. @ 6.0 mph. Next week I'll start working back up. There's a 5K in Sept. that I'm hoping to run, but then I say that every year.

For all the new people, I'm doing a modified version of the Couch to 5K.

I've been trying a modified version of the couch to 5k too :smile:

I ran a little over 2-1/2 miles yesterday and today my legs (and hiney lol) are really sore! It's a strength training day ...lol, upper arms only!

Can I ask you guys a question? Why do we change the post everyday rather than like the others who write in the same post day after day? I feel that I miss replying to some people because the new day starts over and the prior days post gets a little forgotten (especially for day posters and night posters). And I wouldn't mind doing something like keeping track of our miles/times run, which would be a good way to see how everyone is doing overall and give them encouragement.

Just wondering.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Natalie. I joined MPF around February and I have been lurking here for awhile. I have been running since I had my youngest son and he is now a little over two. I just want to say that you guys are amazing! On days that I don't feel like working out I log on here and I get the push I need. Anyway, I ran 5 miles this morning and the sun was out....a great way to start the day! Have a great day everyone!

Natalie

Good for you, Natalie!! It looks like 5 miles is the run of choice today. :laugh:
  • kechiemc
    Options

Natalie

It is great to hear from you Natalie! I feel the same way. I did not want to do my tempo run today. It was all I could do to get myself out the door. I exited my house anyway knowing that I'd see my MFP friends posts when I returned.
  • kechiemc
    Options

Can I ask you guys a question? Why do we change the post everyday rather than like the others who write in the same post day after day? I feel that I miss replying to some people because the new day starts over and the prior days post gets a little forgotten (especially for day posters and night posters). And I wouldn't mind doing something like keeping track of our miles/times run, which would be a good way to see how everyone is doing overall and give them encouragement.

Just wondering.

I am not sure why we change the post everyday.:smile: I joined this group last year. When I joined the group was already going strong.

Throughout the day, I typically pop in and read and reply to new posts. To see if there have been any new posts to our thread, I just click on the "Community" tab. Then I click on "My Topics". There I can see if anyone else has posted to our thread.

To track my mileage and times, I use Runner's World's training log. It is free and very easy to use.

I am open to trying something new. Would it be ok with everyone if we posted to the same post day after day?
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Keeping the same post sounds like a plan to me :) I just have a 3mi today :) I love running in the morning but I'm jumping on here real quick before I head to my last 2 finals!! So today's run has to be a little later.

How do you do a tempo run?! I hear everyone talking about them and I want to try it for some of my shorter runs!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    How do you do a tempo run?! I hear everyone talking about them and I want to try it for some of my shorter runs!

Tempo runs and speedwork will make you faster! I use the smart coach on Runner's World to get my goal paces.

My 5 mile tempo run today:
    1 mile @ 11:00 minute mile pace warm up
    3 miles @ 9:32 minute mile pace
    1 mile @ 11:00 minute mile pace cool down

To summarize:
    You're going to run 1 mile at an "easy"(you could chat with a friend) pace to warm up.
    Then, you're going to run 3 miles at a "comfortably hard"(You feel like you might vomit but you don't. You don't want to talk but you could get 3 words out. I say "Pace is good" to check my pace) pace
    Lastly, you're going to run 1 mile at an easy pace to cool down.

Adding a tempo or speed workout to my weekly workouts combined with an easy and long run have made me faster overall.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Since yesterday turned out to be a rest day, I'm planning on doing 7 miles this evening (being at work right now with it 80 degrees out is killing me) and working on abs/core.

1 post sounds fine to me as well.

:heart:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    So how do you join this runners club?
  • kechiemc
    Options
    So how do you join this runners club?

It's super easy! Just post to our new thread tomorrow, "MFP Runner's Club". Post whether you are resting, running, walking, cross training, or sitting by the pool with a cold one.:laugh:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Whatever y'all want for posts is fine with me. Although, I have noticed those one topic posts get crazy long like 20 some pages or lots! more which would make it tricky to go back and find an individual post. With a daily post you can just pop under *my topics* and easily find a specific day's training log. JMHO!

Today was 4.65 miles, which I must say, seems so short compared with the rest of you. How long did it take you to get to the point where 5 miles was your short run? Many of you seem to do 7-10 miles multiple days a week. I'm up to running 4 days a week with my long run only at 6.5, but aiming for 8 this weekend. I may add a 5th running day over the summer. (I started running in the beginning of April, this year) Just curious. I'm starting to feel like a snail after reading many of your times! LOL! :laugh:

Becky
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Whatever y'all want for posts is fine with me. Although, I have noticed those one topic posts get crazy long like 20 some pages or lots! more which would make it tricky to go back and find an individual post. With a daily post you can just pop under *my topics* and easily find a specific day's training log. JMHO!

Today was 4.65 miles, which I must say, seems so short compared with the rest of you. How long did it take you to get to the point where 5 miles was your short run? Many of you seem to do 7-10 miles multiple days a week. I'm up to running 4 days a week with my long run only at 6.5, but aiming for 8 this weekend. I may add a 5th running day over the summer. (I started running in the beginning of April, this year) Just curious. I'm starting to feel like a snail after reading many of your times! LOL! :laugh:

Becky

Thanks for your candor on the subject of posting.:flowerforyou:

I run 3-4 times a week depending on my goal(5K, 10K, half marathon). My current goal is a 5K so I am only running 3 times a week. Here is my running schedule for this week: 3.2 miles at an easy pace, 5 mile tempo run, and a 6 mile long run this week.

Next week looks like this: 3.2 miles at an easy pace, 5 miles speedwork, and a 7 mile long run.

Since I'm only training for a 5K, 7 miles is the longest long run that I will do before the race.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
  • 12by311
    Options
    I'll be honest, I have no set schedule or planned runs until that day really.

When I started running, about 6 years ago, I just started with 2 miles. I ran that forever, I never timed it really. I just ran. I am sure I was building my endurance. Then I started doing that route twice, so 4 miles a day. Then got up to 6 miles. During my coaching seasons, I don't get to "run" that much...I'm playing the sport instead.

Now, I just set myself a goal for the day. I typically run 12 to 23 miles per week. I've been gradually building my mileage since about March.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! 8.25 miles for me today! It was one of those great runs... I could have just kept on going. Happy Thursday!!!!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Thanks for the input ladies! :happy:
    My current program actually sounds a bit like yours, Kechie!
    I run Tuesday with a friend who has a faster pace than mine, so she keeps me pushing myself ~ usually 10 minute miles thereabouts plus or minus a quarter second. We usually do around 3 - 4 miles. Then after a brief break, I run with another friend's fitness class, usually a pretty hilly 2 miles at a slightly slower (10:30) pace.
    Thursday, we are usually on a tighter time clock so we run about 3 miles then cycle for 30 minutes.
    Friday we have begun to run middle distance, about 5 miles. I'm trying to convince them to slow down a bit, but they make me push.
    Saturday is my long run day. And my favorite running buddy. :tongue: We do a wonderfully consistent 12 minute mile pace Yeah! my happy pace!!! At this point we're just adding to our weekly distance and seeing how far we can go!
    According to Runner's World I see that if I can run distance at 12 minute miles, then my shorter distances should be closer to 9 minutes. Ugh! I am toying with the idea of a half marathon this fall. So far I've just done a couple charity 5ks and have another planned for June 13th.
    My body definitely prefers the distance vs. speed. Once I get going, I feel like I can keep going and often feel like I've stopped too soon on my shorter runs or want to head back out.

I am really picking up some good tips and encouragement from all of you! Thanks so much!

Kechie, just curious what major city are you near in NC? I'm in SC but pretty close to Charlotte!

Maybe we'll see eachother at a race someday! :happy:

Becky
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    ran about 2 miles and ran 8 flights of stairs X 6
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of a half marathon this fall. So far I've just done a couple charity 5ks and have another planned for June 13th.
    My body definitely prefers the distance vs. speed. Once I get going, I feel like I can keep going and often feel like I've stopped too soon on my shorter runs or want to head back out.

I am really picking up some good tips and encouragement from all of you! Thanks so much!

Kechie, just curious what major city are you near in NC? I'm in SC but pretty close to Charlotte!

Maybe we'll see eachother at a race someday! :happy:

Becky

You're welcome Becky! I ran my first half marathon last fall. It was a great experience for me. I plan to run the same half again this fall. I'll start training in July using the Smart Coach tool on the Runner's World site. It worked well for me. I arrived at the starting line and finished the race injury free. I also finished 12 minutes faster than my goal time.

I too prefer to run distances. I run 5Ks but really don't enjoy them as much as the half. It takes me a mile to a mile and a half to get warmed up. By then, the race is over. Frustrating...

I am near Raleigh. About 3 hours from Charlotte. Most of my races are in Raleigh. If you are ever here, definitely let me know.
  • 12by311
    Options
    I ran 7 miles this evening. My time was 1:04.43. :happy:
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

It has been a week since I popped in..

This is what I ran so far this week:

Sunday (my long run): 13 miles
    Monday: 8 miles
    Tuesday: 6.5 miles
    Wednesday: 7 miles
    Today: Rest day from running. Biked 20+ miles

I'm not really following any training program right now - just maintaining until I start training again June 1st for a half in September. I'm really enjoying the more laid back runs for now. I think I was burning myself out there for a while.

As far as posting under one thread, I guess I'll add my 2 cents :tongue: ...I wouldn't care either way, but I kind of agree with the poster that said posting under one thread can get to be too much to wade through each day. If the message board started with the newest post first, it wouldn't be that bad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the MFP message boards are set up that way; the board is formatted oldest post first, correct? That being the case, I just think the thread could become overloaded. That is just my humble opinion. I am done now. :bigsmile:

Good job everyone, BTW! Glad to see some new faces here, too!