I am definitely losing inches but the scale is BARELY moving

Options
I just joined My Fitness Pal. Prior to this, I had joined WW on Jan 2nd. This is week 13 and I am only DOWN 8 lbs.!! I've been walking (but not consistant), I'm eating healthy. Not sure what else to do????

I have dropped almost 2 sizes in my jeans. I do know something is working but I want to see the scale go down faster ...

Any thoughts?

Replies

• carolyns19
    Options
    Can you make your diary public?

Also, don't be too discouraged! Can you measure success in other ways (something I'm working on!)
    -Do you feel better?
    -Does your clothing fit looser?
    -Can you do more now (i.e. walk further)?
    -Do you have more self control now (when I look back, I realize this has changed a lot for me, and it should be celebrated!)?

Also, think about finding a scale that measures more than weight. You could be gaining muscle as you lose fat which won't show up on a traditional scale (BF%, BMR, Bone Density, etc).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about the scale and calories still matter regardless of if they are healthy are not. Weigh your food and maintain a consistent calorie deficit
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about the scale and calories still matter regardless of if they are healthy are not. Weigh your food and maintain a consistent calorie deficit

^^^^^^^^
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options

yes, the scale will follow later!!! :) my didn't want to budge for almost 3 weeks! but the inches came off!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    And your problem is?
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Losing inches but not pounds means you're building muscle, which will help you lose even more inches! Damn fine work, miss.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And your problem is?

This! I would call this a win!

Becoming smaller without losing as many pounds as you thought you had to lose is great! It means you're keeping your muscle, which means your metabolism won't be taking a nosedive, and maintaining when you reach goal will be easier.

I think sometimes we have unrealistic expectations of what we should weigh and what we'd look like at that weight. We get a number in our head and aim for it, instead of aiming for a goal body shape/size instead. I thought I'd have to be under 120 pounds to be the size I am now, because that's what I weighed last time I was this size. I'm really happy I was wrong about that.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    And your problem is?

Same question. You are getting smaller. Who cares what the number is as long as you aren't metabolizing your muscles.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Getting smaller and stronger is much better than the scale dropping. You are doing great!
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing!! Congrats on your progress so far. Oh, and add some resistance training.

Btdubs, how ignorant is Weight Watchers?! Their point system is bunk. Bananas are free my *kitten*.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Would it make you feel better to know that I've lost 18 pounds since November, and am not even down a full size? My pants are loose, but not quite enough to go down a size.

*Disclaimer: 11 pounds have been since joining MFP a little over a month ago.

Inches are great--your shrinking. The scale will catch up.
  • darthtasha
    darthtasha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too. I was literally just fussing with my friend about it earlier before I even came to this forum. I feel like my legs have lost weight, and I feel like my love handles have gotten smaller. BUT the scale only went down 2lbs. I was FURIOUS this morning when I found out. I don't know if I can trust my own mind when I feel like I've gotten smaller and I have to depend on the scale to tell me...but then the scale says I haven't lost much and here I come chocolate! GAH the cycle!!!