I NEED support! Weight loss on super tight budget!

Options
Alright so a little about me: My name is Angelica, I am 25, married 6 years and mother of 3 boys (ages 4, 10, 12). I live in Northern California. I am a stay at home mom, I homeschool all three of my boys and take them to their various sports and activities. I have gym membership, and also own P90X (didnt really like), INSANITY (competed last spring, LOVED), TurboFire (just started last week), Brazil Butt Lift (not done yet), and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (not a fan). I have struggled with my weight most of my life, and in the last year (since doing INSANITY) i have lost 20 lbs, gained 20 back, and lost it again (currently at 200)

Now here is the deal. My husband, Paul, and I are trying REALLY, REALLY hard to save up to buy our first home in the next year (hopefully). So currently I am on a (what I think is ridiculously low) food budget of $500/mo for all of us. Lately, i have been trying (and spent a good amount of time) to find healthy and cheap ways to keep us in the budget, as well as keep the pounds coming off. I am a part of several different weight loss groups, here and on facebook, and am starting to get discouraged because it seems I am the only one there who is unable to afford eating CLEAN. :( It is really starting to get me down, and makes me wanna just call it quits since i cant eat healthy enough to lose weight (i KNOW this thinking is flawed, but its my thinking nonetheless.)

I am SO close to my pre-pregnancy weight, I can practically taste it (187 lbs), and i want SO bad to get there, but i seem to be lacking motivation to actually do anything but walk lately. I am spending most of my time lately, if not looking for recipes, actually preparing them. We eat a lot of homemade food, almost ZERO processed, but its a TON of carbs (bread, pastas, granola bars etc). Is there anyone out there who is in a similar situation? I really need someone to help guide me out of this rut. I know that the weight wont fall off overnight, and i REFUSE to starve myself (I currently eat about 1800 cals a day, and lose, as long as i stay on point). I just need help knowing that this is doable even tho i cant eat clean, or buy any special foods.

Thanks in advance. <3

Angelica

Replies

• abelljam
    abelljam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am on a pretty tight budget. I find that mastering the art of coupons really helps with being able to buy the healthy food as well. I usually do either yogurt or egg whites with one piece of toast for breakfast, lean cuisine or sandwich for lunch and then for dinner I eat what the whole family eats, but I substitute items. For example...whole wheat noodles instead of regular. Make salads for the family. I buy really lean ground beef and meats. Make casseroles using lots of veggies, 2% cheese, etc. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions. Good luck girly.
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't know what good foods to go with (i.e. the shake program Sbenson suggested), but I do know few tips to keep you from spending so much at the grocery store.

1.) Make a list of what you need. See if there's anything you can change on there to something generic (I drink Sam's Choice/Great Value milk and soda, etc.)

2.) Check the paper/websites for coupons.

3.) Try to get everything you need in as few trips as possible. That saves on gas as well as fewer taxes.

Hope this helped somehow and wish you luck with everything!
  • angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    yeah, ive heard of BBV, but never tried it. I have a friend that sells it, and I wanted to get some from her, but cant afford it :( And i dont know any1 else who wants to have it either, ive asked my friends and family. Ive tried shakeology as well, and LOVED it, but again, thats too expensive. :( my kitchen includes only things i can get from the grocery store. I cant even get pb2 right now (which i LOVE to cook with)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Beans, eggs, cabbage, potatoes (they aren't bad for you!).
    manager special meat and freeze it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss, it doesn't matter if the foods are clean or not. Take 2 diets and hold calories and macros constant, but one is all clean foods and one is a mix of foods and weightloss would be the same or minutely different. So try to get in adequate protein and fats and maintain a calorie deficit. Things like breaking down whole chickens vs buying chicken breasts can be a cost saver and help you get in lots of protein
  • Allihexen
    Options
    If you fry a lot of stuff, use olive oil. It's a great alternative to canola/vegetable oil and has the extra benefit of being good for your heart.
  • Acg67
    Options
    i do a shake meal replacement with Body by Vi, the best part is i get them for FREE. i get 60 meals (thats 2 a day) for 99$ but i have 3 friends doing the same challenge with me so i only pay the shipping $14.00. i have 2 boys 11 & 10 and they have a shake a day as well, its safe for pregnat women and kids over 4. each shake for adults contains 33% of your daily NUTRITIONAL needs. this has NO diet product in it, Its all good clean food! its the shake mix that tastes like cake mix. i did my 1st 90 day challenge and i lose 18lbs and 7.5 inches off my waist and hips. i was 176 and im 149. i just started my 2nd challenge a few weeks ago and i have a goal of 135 and to gain more muscle. let me know if you have any ?s i would love to help you with your challenge :) Stacey :bigsmile:

Awesome advice, she's on a tight budget but buy this overpriced garbage from me and it will help. Oh but it can be free if you get a few people to sign up, and i'm guessing they would be part of your downstream?
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Carbs are cheap whether they "are whole" or in the form of flour. So, one really easy way to "clean up" your diet is to buy different cheap carbs. Instead of pasta and bread, buy rice, potatoes and beans. All three of these are cheap, are "clean", and are better for you nutritionally than the processed stuff. Flour is processed, whether its "brown" or not. Potatoes and rice are WHOLE, even though they have been much maligned. And add more vegetables and less starch in general...frozen veggies are great, cheap, and healthy.

I admit that I do invest in "special foods"...but usually just to get better quality, local, organic, etc, to mesh with my values and politics. But in terms of overall health...you don't really need "special" food. If you're cooking most of your family's food, you are way ahead of most of America.
  • Allihexen
    Options
    Awesome advice, she's on a tight budget but buy this overpriced garbage from me and it will help. Oh but it can be free if you get a few people to sign up, and i'm guessing they would be part of your downstream?

Scams get better and better.
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    allihexen: i get coupons thru my local sunday paper, but find that most the time, its overly processed stuff that doesnt fill me up, or its cheaper to just get what is at Winco. once the subscription for that is done, i doubt i will be renewing, since it doesnt save me as much as i'd like.

neoterrar: thats a lot of what we eat! lol. Typically we eat eggs and homemade toast, or homemade pancakes with lite syrup for breakfast; leftovers or sandwhiches w fruit/vegis for lunch, and then dinner (the menu til next payday) is: (everything is homemade)

Monday:
    mac n cheese, garlic herb toast,

Tuesday:
    chicken soup
    baked tortillas (chips)

Wednesday:
    Leftover chili
    cornbread

Thursday:
    asian orange chicken
    white rice (no one in my house likes brown rice)

friday:
    baked ziti
    garlic herb toast

saturday:
    chicken pot pie

sunday:
    personal pizzas (cheese or pepperoni)

monday:
    potato chowder
    bread rolls

tuesday:
    15 bean soup
    tortillas
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    you should ask your friend to host a challenge party for you. invite all your friends and family (wether they want to do it or not) and have her mix a few shakes watch a short dvd and who knows you might get your 3. when it comes to grocery shopping i shop Costco! Everything in bulk, i have a large freezer that i keep full. Big bags of carrots are only $4 and celery is like $2.50. I hope you get lots of hints and tips for your shopping :)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same situation...I think if you want to spend less you'll have to spend more time in the kitchen. You can purchase dried beans, frozen veggies are relatively inexpensive, buy meat in bulk...I make a 'menu' for the week, then base my grocery list off that and stick to it. Oh and buy fresh fruits and veggies in season...try to find a farmers market...they usually have better prices then the grocery stores. :) You can do it!!
  • angelicazaldivar
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss, it doesn't matter if the foods are clean or not. Take 2 diets and hold calories and macros constant, but one is all clean foods and one is a mix of foods and weightloss would be the same or minutely different. So try to get in adequate protein and fats and maintain a calorie deficit. Things like breaking down whole chickens vs buying chicken breasts can be a cost saver and help you get in lots of protein

thanks! this is what i needed to hear :) I knew about the chicken thing, but never really put much importance on it. my husband LOVES (and INSISTS) on the dark meat for him to take on his sandwiches, and when we grill) i on the otherhand, only eat white, cant stand the dark. i should really do this. i think this will be very helpful for us. :D
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    i dont know who her friend is so no its not a scam its an amazing product thats helping change lives. it has been helpful for me. i am a single mom of 2 boys so i too budget. it was a suggestion, $14 for 60 meals thats an amazing deal for a budget!
  • Allihexen
    Options
    allihexen: i get coupons thru my local sunday paper, but find that most the time, its overly processed stuff that doesnt fill me up, or its cheaper to just get what is at Winco. once the subscription for that is done, i doubt i will be renewing, since it doesnt save me as much as i'd like.

I try not to use food coupons unless it's cereal or Eggos, but I mean like toothpaste or something of the like. What you save on that really adds up. :)

And your menu looks delicious.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    If you have a yard, plant a garden and grow your produce. you can plant an herb garden in your kitchen, too. if you don't have a yard, see if your community has a community garden where you can rent a garden space.

buy things in bulk, or stock up on items when they are on sale.
  • Acg67
    Options
    you should ask your friend to host a challenge party for you. invite all your friends and family (wether they want to do it or not) and have her mix a few shakes watch a short dvd and who knows you might get your 3. when it comes to grocery shopping i shop Costco! Everything in bulk, i have a large freezer that i keep full. Big bags of carrots are only $4 and celery is like $2.50. I hope you get lots of hints and tips for your shopping :)

You are on a roll, so first spend 20% of her monthly budget on the product then spend more to entertain friends and family to push an inferior product on them, sure they'd love that
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    i do a shake meal replacement with Body by Vi, the best part is i get them for FREE. i get 60 meals (thats 2 a day) for 99$ but i have 3 friends doing the same challenge with me so i only pay the shipping $14.00. i have 2 boys 11 & 10 and they have a shake a day as well, its safe for pregnat women and kids over 4. each shake for adults contains 33% of your daily NUTRITIONAL needs. this has NO diet product in it, Its all good clean food! its the shake mix that tastes like cake mix. i did my 1st 90 day challenge and i lose 18lbs and 7.5 inches off my waist and hips. i was 176 and im 149. i just started my 2nd challenge a few weeks ago and i have a goal of 135 and to gain more muscle. let me know if you have any ?s i would love to help you with your challenge :) Stacey :bigsmile:

• Allihexen
    Options
    i dont know who her friend is so no its not a scam its an amazing product thats helping change lives. it has been helpful for me. i am a single mom of 2 boys so i too budget. it was a suggestion, $14 for 60 meals thats an amazing deal for a budget

Overpriced Slim-Fast unless you have friends in on it. Yes, it's a scam.
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    i didnt post to cause an argument. have you ever check out Body by Vi? It truly is an amazing product that is so NOT over priced. Free is affordable in my book. I am a single mom of 2 boys 11 & 10 so i do know a little about being on a budget. i lost 40lbs on my own with diet and excersice and hit a wall, for me being on a budget the shake were the answer, i went on to lose 18 more lbs and save money doing it.I have helped 8 co-workers lose over 180lbs in 90 days and no i wasnt making money doing it. it is all a matter of opinion.