running question

Options
cndslee
cndslee Posts: 256 Member
Last weekend I ran/walked in my 1st 3K. Totally LOVED it! Signed up for a 5K next month. Trying to figure out if I need to run every day or maybe every OTHER day to get in the extra mile. Right now I run about 10 minutes(almost a mile) then walk a few minutes and then repeat. I have noticed that my thighs seem to be a little more sore lately. Last weekend for the 3K I had no problem. Any advice would help. Thanks

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    bump, was about to ask pretty much the same thing
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    For the way you do it, which is totally legit, you might want to check out Jeff Galloway. He does all kinds of training plans and advocates taking walking breaks.

Good luck and good for you.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look into a C25K training program, and start in the middle, where it matches what you are doing most closely. I wouldn't suggest running every day at the point that you are at - your body needs some time to recover and get used to running and you don't want to overdo it and injure yourself. You'll want to gradually increase the total distance/time you are doing, but you don't want to up it too quickly - I think no more than 10% per week is the general rule of thumb, or about 5 minutes per week, but that should get you into 5K territory.

Good luck and have fun!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Give this this training plan a look. http://halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

I've used Hal's plans for my 7-K (I used his 10-K), my 10-K and am currently using one for my Half Marathon. I love them and have found them to be incredibly helpful to improving both my endurance and speed.

I started the 10-K program about halfway through it for my 7-K and just went from there, the same for my 10-K. He encourages modifying the plans to fit your schedule, the most important thing is getting a schedule set and then sticking to it. But it could be a good place for you tou start. :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k plan is a good start

http://www.c25k.com/

I'd also believe the advice is to not add more than 10% of the miles you run every week. So if you ran 10 miles, you'd add an extra mile over the course of the week...
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I suggest running 3 times per week...rest in between and maybe cross train 1-2 days
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I didn't think every day was correct...wanted to be sure. I am really liking running outside instead of the treadmill... but it is harder for me....but I AM getting better!! thank again!