Supplements!

Options
So, my bf is obsessed with GNC and their supplements. He takes their vitamins, protein packs and many other things. I've been thinking about trying the protein packs but I have no idea where to start.

They have a women's section, but what will benefit me? Should I go for the protein you drink before, during or after a work out? Should I take the multivitamins that help you burn more calories and increase your metabolism?

My ultimate goal is weight loss and muscle gain. I do a good amount of cardio but I have recently gotten into weight lifting with my bf- not trying to bulk up, just gain some muscle since I have none.

Any suggestions would be amazing!

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I like making a whey protein shake after a good workout.. I mix yogurt, milk, a scoop of whey protein and some frozen berries in my single serve blender and drink er down :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, my bf is obsessed with GNC and their supplements. He takes their vitamins, protein packs and many other things. I've been thinking about trying the protein packs but I have no idea where to start.

They have a women's section, but what will benefit me? Should I go for the protein you drink before, during or after a work out? Should I take the multivitamins that help you burn more calories and increase your metabolism?

My ultimate goal is weight loss and muscle gain. I do a good amount of cardio but I have recently gotten into weight lifting with my bf- not trying to bulk up, just gain some muscle since I have none.

#1 suggestion is don't shop at GNC. They are overpriced and their associates are clueless on fitness and nutrition.

Protein powders will help if you cannot get adequate protein through whole foods and multi can help if you have micronutrient deficiencies in your diet.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

#1 suggestion is don't shop at GNC. They are overpriced and their associates are clueless on fitness and nutrition.

Protein powders will help if you cannot get adequate protein through whole foods and multi can help if you have micronutrient deficiencies in your diet.

^^ I only use protein powder when I can't get enough protein in my food during the day -- usually because some days the idea of meat is just BLAAAAAH and meats the easiest way to get lots of protein. I take a multi just to be sure I'm getting enough of the basics.

But everything else isn't really necessary for most people. I'd start with just the multi and getting our protein high enough (by whatever means) first and see how that is.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I use 3 things:
    1. Protien shake - After workout
    2. Multivitamin - Daily
    3. Fish Oil - Daily
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

As a former supplement junkie, I can tell you straight up that the majority of supplements aren't needed if you're getting in your essentials through food.
    With the exception of protein powders and creatine, most supplements only attribute about 1% to changing of your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

^^^^^ GNC is a Rip!!!!
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's been said already, but yeah, from a general health point of view, only supplement if you really can't get what you need from whole foods. Taking vitamin supplements "just in case" also tends to be a bit of a bad idea as it can actually cause imabalnces and deficiencies as some things are taken up preferentially to others -- for example, an excess of zinc will cause a drop in iron uptake. Much better to just balance things through diet and talk to your doc about whether you might be missing anything important.
  • ami299
    ami299 Posts: 57
    Options
    Ok, well what I've taken from you all is that most supplements are a rip off and I should only take what I can't get through food. My concern is my protein. I get 70-150g a day, but I recently read that I should take in 1g per pound, especially if I am weight lifting. So, seeing as I need to add about 50-75 g of protein (unless I'm wrong), which protein powders would you recommend? What do you think about Isopure or Myotein? What do you use?