Best Shoe for a Picky Feet ???

I'm having trouble with my shoes and not sure what to do. I have wide feet and most shoes are too narrow. A regular wide will do, I don't need extra wide. I also need arch support. I'm a women's 7.5W, what brand/model would you recommend for running+gym time?! I'm also at BMI 30 so I need cushioning when my weight goes down on the shoe.

Thanks for your input!!

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    I have wide feet and like a real minimal shoe. Closer to bare feet works best for me. I use New Balance Minimus shoes, one pair for weight lifting one pair for walking.

These are real minimal shoes so are not for everyone, but I love them.

New Balance has lots of other more traditional shoes and they come in lots of widths.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    I'm having trouble with my shoes and not sure what to do. I have wide feet and most shoes are too narrow. A regular wide will do, I don't need extra wide. I also need arch support. I'm a women's 7.5W, what brand/model would you recommend for running+gym time?! I'm also at BMI 30 so I need cushioning when my weight goes down on the shoe.

Thanks for your input!!

I was going to suggest minimal shoes, like old-fashioned tennis shoes, too.... then I got to the last part, and fair enough. At least until you strengthen up, support would be good. What brands have you tried? I have wide-ish feet, and when I was still wearing engineered running shoes, I tended to go for New Balance.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Your best best bet will be to get to a good running or sports store and try on a heap of shoes. There is no "perfect" shoe that will suit everyone, especially if you have picky feet -like me!

Shoe store staff always try to put me into New Balance because they say they are wide, but they just don't suit my feet. Usually Nikes have been the best for me though my latest shoes are a Brooks Dyad - I'm still not quite convinced but I think I'm getting used to them. You just need to keep trying until you find what is right for you.

It's not going to be cheap to get good shoes but it is money well spent. Injuries are even more expensive!
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    I hate going to the shoe store. Even finding normal shoes is hard enough. :( They just don't do wide toe narrow heel and straight Achilles tendon (regular shoes always rubs the back of my ankle raw - I have to get shoe w/o a back or very flexible back) and I have duck feet. I'm good at swimming at least, lol.

I tried some New Balance, Sketchers, Nikes, and Adidas... I think so far Sketchers fits me best but somehow the new shoes don't fit me anymore, I think they changed their style or my feet changed. Either way, I guess I'll have to find a store with a huge variety to fit me...
  • I have foot problems and am currently wearing the New Balance 940 with pronation control orthotic insoles. The shoes themselves have plenty of cushion and the insoles give them a high arch and the support I need to control my overpronation and prevent foot pain. I wear a B width but the 940 goes all the way up to a 2E. Looks wise they aren't my favorite and they are pricey, more than I like to spend on a pair of shoes, but it's worth it to me because the foot pain I had before was terrible.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    After years of wearing motion control and/or stability shoes bc they were the "right" shoes for me (overpronation), I am loving my Reebok Realflex! I now have 3 pairs and they have made a huge difference for me in so many ways. U echo the others that the closer you get to minimalist the better. I think most of what is wrong with my mechanics and deficits in my lower legs are a byproduct of wearing the "right" shoes all these years.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    I hate going to the shoe store. Even finding normal shoes is hard enough. :( They just don't do wide toe narrow heel and straight Achilles tendon (regular shoes always rubs the back of my ankle raw - I have to get shoe w/o a back or very flexible back) and I have duck feet. I'm good at swimming at least, lol.

I tried some New Balance, Sketchers, Nikes, and Adidas... I think so far Sketchers fits me best but somehow the new shoes don't fit me anymore, I think they changed their style or my feet changed. Either way, I guess I'll have to find a store with a huge variety to fit me...

Hah! I also actually have really wedge-shaped feet too! Howzat for a co-inky-dink. ;p Yeah, as I said, NB always used to do the trick for me.... the other brand that I found even better were Asics, but I tended to go NB because they were much cheaper. ^^;;; But, yeah, as has been said, you should just put aside an afternoon and go shoe shopping. It's really the only way to do it.
  • kyt1206
    kyt1206 Posts: 101
    I went to Fleet Feet!!! OMG they were amazing!! I found my shoe!!!