Kale and other greens

Options
2»

Replies

• darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, if you're going to blend kale in a smoothie, make sure you have a pretty high-powered blender. Kale can be pretty tough and sometimes it doesn't get as blended as it should!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I add arugula to just about any pasta thing I make (I loooove arugula!). I'll also make a warm baby spinach salad:

- sautee a little garlic in olive oil in a large pan
    - add a bag or box of baby spinach (in batches, depending on the size of your pan)
    - add a little bit of white wine (or vegetable broth)
    - sautee until a little wilted
    - squirt with a little lemon juice
    - finish with salt, pepper, asiago or another funky cheese if you like, and pine nuts (all of these are optional)
    :flowerforyou:
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try Kale chips, but I think I should, I keep hearing so much about them!

I put spinach in my scrambled eggs (or egg whites) and in many other things. You can put spinach in just about anything.

I also will add it into a salad.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I put kale in soup... minestrone, or a 15 bean soup.

I also have cooked it like collard greens (with a little lean bacon, garlic and onion).

Or I make colcannon (Irish cabbage and potatoes) but use Kale instead of cabbage. Using fat free evaporated milk is a good way to make mashed potatoes creamy with no added fat (and a lot of added calcium and vitamin D). Colcannon is also a great way to get "Mashed potatoes" with less starch.

There are a lot of colcannon recipes out there, but I sort of "wing it."

(P.S., the leftovers can make a great soup)
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies! :) However you have to have a pretty hardcore blender to shred leafy greens.