Calf Length Compression Sleeves Or other Solution?

Options
Hello all...

I have a lot of weight left to lose (40 more pounds to go, give or take) but I am putting in the time and watching my calories and am well on my way to success. I'm hoping to get to my goal weight in late July or August.

As a major part of my program, I have been training to run in our local 1/2 marathon. I have been running (read: walk, jog, wog) again since January, after taking a 5 year break (had another kid, etc., yada, yada)... it is slow and painful but I'm getting there. My best distance time so far is only a 12 minute mile but I did manage to finish an 8 mile run this weekend with an average time of 13:50 so I am pretty pumped..

I am also doing weights a few times a week, other cardio (Zumba etc) and average around 20 miles running a week. I do take rest days and am not over training according to all that I have read and understand.

I have been going slow and doing all the work I need to avoid injury, but EVERY.SINGLE.DAY my calves HATE me. I know I'm punishing them with all this extra weight. I stretch (before and after) , I warm up properly, etc. but still, the aches are there. I even have a hot tub at home and often relax there after a long run, but the aches continue.. I know it is not an injury as they do eventually let up, but I'd like them to not hurt so much every single day..

No, I do not sleep on my tummy so my feet are not pointed all night. BUT, so I have a couple of health issues, including arthritis and take meloxicam for that daily... and now I take advil after every run too... but I don't want another pill for a solution...

So, I'm wondering... I just read about compression sleeves.. is that something I should consider for faster recovery? or do any of you 'real' runners have other better suggestions?

Appreciate your thoughts!
C

Replies

• MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    I'm with you on the walk/jog/wog training for a half....mine's at the end of May. My calves are also totally hating me this morning after my 7 miles (with some hills) yesterday. I've found that knee high compression socks help (I like Swiftwick's Twelves and wear them post-run), and I'm probably going to invest in a foam roller ASAP to do some self-massage as my mileage increases over the next several weeks. As for today, yoga this morning helped some, and I'll be doing some heel walking throughout the day to help loosen things up.

I'd be interested to hear what some others have to suggest, too!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd suggest compression sleeves.. Studies have demonstrated less pain and quicker recovery with use. I run in compression pants/tights/shorts nearly exclusively.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I personally love my compression socks and sleeves. In addition, I take a magnesium supplement that helps immensely with my calf issues (Hammer nutrition endurolytes)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried the compression sleeves or socks but I know some runners that are convinced they improve recovery times after a hard run.

Does your strength training include calf raises? I found that when Incorporated those into my routine that my calves became much happier after long runs, doesn't happen overnight but something you may want to consider.

The other recovery aid I've used, especially when you finish a run feeling a little battered, is an ice bath - in your case you may want to only soak your calves. They're pure torture at the time but you feel so much better afterward. I've also been told by my massage therapist that epsom salt baths are very therapeutic (has something to do with absorption of magnesium).
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Don't use the sleeves, use the full sock.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Yes, I'd suggest compression sleeves.. Studies have demonstrated less pain and quicker recovery with use. I run in compression pants/tights/shorts nearly exclusively.

Does anyone else where them while actually running?
    I'm a complete noob and trying to understand all this... Pants? tights? Knee High's? What do you all like best?
    Any brand you would recommend?
    Does your strength training include calf raises? I found that when Incorporated those into my routine that my calves became much happier after long runs, doesn't happen overnight but something you may want to consider......

Yes, I do calf raises on the machine and off a step with weights on my weight days..
    I've found that knee high compression socks help (I like Swiftwick's Twelves and wear them post-run), and I'm probably going to invest in a foam roller....

Thanks for the recommendation. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my foam roller even when it does bring tears to my eyes (and it does!)

THANKS EVERYONE for RESPONDING!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    bump
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Had a great 8 mile run with the sleeves and new shoes. Seemed to make all the difference in the world. thanks all!