calories burned???

Options
mstanley
mstanley Posts: 121 Member
Can anyone tell me how accurate the exercise database is when it comes to calories burned for certain exercises? I recently bought a bicycle and have been riding it at least 30 - 60 minutes a day with my daughter. Granted, I'm not able to ride it at a very fast pace because my daughter is 6 and she has trouble keeping up, but I figure that anything is better than nothing. (plus I'm still trying to make it to the gym at least 3 times a week on top of the biking). So, I was wondering if I'm actually burning the 300 (or so) calories that it says I am, when I'm having to stop and slow down periodically to wait on my daughter.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's a very rough estimate based on other MFP member's experiences. It shouldn't be taken as the bible on calorie burn. If you really want to be accurate you need a good HRM.
  • sandas23
    sandas23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that the calories burned were about 10% too many. So when I eat back the calories I don't eat 100% back. Also, if I feel I'm not working as hard as the "average" person for one reason or the other (having a 6 year old with you) I always cut the duration down when posting my exercise.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    :smile: I found that since I got my HRM it seems that the running section seems pretty accurate, just a bit low. I average out between my treadmil counter, HRM, and the site numbers. as with anything, it is always an estimate. I only eat back half of my calorie to be sure. :happy:
  • mstanley
    Options
    I really need to get a HRM. I think knowing exactly would be great to motivate me more. I always like to have a goal in mind when I'm exercising.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When I ride I log it as about 12-13.9 MPH moderate effort. I am obviously not flying along like some of the serious cyclists but I can also feel that I am pushing enough to get a good workout and I am pedaling the whole time (except for going down steep hills) and when I ride with my brother his GPS watch reads our speed as about 13 MPH. Since you have to go slow and wait for her, I would log it as less than 10MPH, but you may also want to cut some of the time. If you were out for an hour but make frequent stops, I would log it as about 45 or 50 minutes.
  • mstanley
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • brendaboop
    brendaboop Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this so you should wear a HRM instead of a peodometer and can somebody please explaine the whole calorie thing i did the whold calorie counter thing and it gave me 1333so i think i'm doing something wrong can somebody pleas educate me on how to do it properly???? i'm begging
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    When I ride my stationary bike for 45 minutes as fast as I can, I burn about 1000 calories.
    Does that help?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this so you should wear a HRM instead of a peodometer and can somebody please explaine the whole calorie thing i did the whold calorie counter thing and it gave me 1333so i think i'm doing something wrong can somebody pleas educate me on how to do it properly???? i'm begging

1300 plus calories doesn't sound wrong. it depends on what your weight, height, age and activity level are, but that's within the realm of reason IMHO, a lot of people are on a 1300 or 1400 calorie plan