Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lessons for my future daughter

When I have a daughter, I’m not going to teach her that it’s okay to be fat. I’m not going to teach her that it’s important to be skinny. I’m going to tell her that she should only worry about one thing when it comes to her body: that it’s healthy.

I’m not going to tell my baby girl that cookies are “bad” and broccoli is “good.” I’m going to let her know how different foods affect our bodies in different ways. Just because not all foods contain much nutritional value, it doesn’t mean she can’t have any of those less-nutritious foods, or that she is “bad” if she does.

I’m going to tell my daughter that everyone deserves her love, respect, and compassion – especially herself. My girl is going to know that everyone she meets is deserving of kindness, but not everyone is worth her time. If there is someone in her life, like a boy, who treats her with disrespect, she still needs to be kind to him, but she doesn’t owe him her time, nor should she stick around just so he’s happy.

Most importantly, I’m going to teach my beautiful daughter, that she doesn’t need to compare herself to other girls in order to prove her self-worth. She needs to love herself the way she is, because the way she is is perfect.

Replies

• :flowerforyou:
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    :flowerforyou:
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    I like that. Your daughter will be very lucky to have you as a mom. How we think of ourselves as women, it all starts in childhood.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Awesome! I'm trying to teach those things to my 3-y-o son too. :)
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    I have a daughter that is 19 months old , and if she grows up with all this in mind I will be a very happy mummy :)
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    When I have a daughter, I’m not going to teach her that it’s okay to be fat. I’m not going to teach her that it’s important to be skinny. I’m going to tell her that she should only worry about one thing when it comes to her body: that it’s healthy.

I’m not going to tell my baby girl that cookies are “bad” and broccoli is “good.” I’m going to let her know how different foods affect our bodies in different ways. Just because not all foods contain much nutritional value, it doesn’t mean she can’t have any of those less-nutritious foods, or that she is “bad” if she does.

I’m going to tell my daughter that everyone deserves her love, respect, and compassion – especially herself. My girl is going to know that everyone she meets is deserving of kindness, but not everyone is worth her time. If there is someone in her life, like a boy, who treats her with disrespect, she still needs to be kind to him, but she doesn’t owe him her time, nor should she stick around just so he’s happy.

Most importantly, I’m going to teach my beautiful daughter, that she doesn’t need to compare herself to other girls in order to prove her self-worth. She needs to love herself the way she is, because the way she is is perfect.

as the mother of a beautiful 18 year-old daughter and wonderful 15 year-old son, I can confirm that this kind of positive reinforcement works! You are on the right track, and your future children, be they sons or daughters will be lucky indeed to grow up with this kind of attitude. I am so proud of my strong, happy, healthy kids:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Love this! That said, the thing that helps me teach my son the difference between good and bad foods are that there are healthy foods and treat foods. I tell him that we all love treat foods, but they just don't do the same things for our bodies that healthy foods do!