Taking a Day Off From Exercise? HELP!!!!

Options
To be honest, I just really need some reinforcement, some support -- tell me again how important it is for you to take at least one day off from your workout routine. I got up this AM, got dressed, went downstairs and just staired at my ET. I couldn't do it. I couldn't get on. I know I'll feel guilty later too, but I'm trying to take the que my body is giving me.

Talk me down from the ledge, people, lol. Thanks!

Replies

• flossybach
    flossybach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yep a day off is good replenishing! I am having one as well. Just get organised to get back on tomorrow and don't beat yourself around. I am trying to have one day off a week at the moment.
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    they say taking a day off or two days off during the week helps you repair muscle, as long as you have a good routine and dont let it get you off track, it shouldnt be a problem, or atleast thats what i heard :))
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    yes...u need 2 rest days
  • shikala
    shikala Posts: 9
    Options
    Dear Livy you re not a robot....and if u make too much effort daily i dont think is good either....i workout whenever i feel like it...2-3 times a week....i dont sacrifice my sleep and wake up early to start jumping around the house....i work 8-9 hours per day.. plus the housekeeping....do u think all these ladies who make the dvds have to cook and iron and clean the house? all their problems are solved....unless u dont work and u can plan your day better.....oh...and if u feel like eating a chocolate just do it....life is short and if u believe food is not just something to keep u alive then dont feel guilty.....enjoy the little things and put some limits not to overdo it :)
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options
    You may be a bit burned out...change up your routine for a few days and do some yard work, go for walks and think out of the box..I did that yesterday, walked for 70 minutes with the iPod and stopped at my gym for a pit stop..you don't have to do the ET to burn cals ..walk in the mall with the mall rats..they will enjoy seeing a new face on the circuit..
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i work 8-9 hours per day.. plus the housekeeping....do u think all these ladies who make the dvds have to cook and iron and clean the house? all their problems are solved....

Anyone can find the time to exercise. And what do you know what these ladies do or do not "have to do?"
    I go to school full time and work full time and I still find the time.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I'm working out with a personal trainer, he's setting up my workout programs according to the days I have time to do something.
    He actually gave me 2 rest days today and tomorrow, apparently I've done enough this weekend to earn them :-)

So... if a trainer gives 2 rest days in a row, you sure are allowed to have 1 rest day for yourself!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need a day off. It's okay and good for your body. You have to take rest days. The fact that you're feeling guilty is a good thing! That way know you'll get back on tomorrow! Enjoy your rest day!!!!
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    You're supposed to take a day or two off every week. I just took a whole week off. Exercise isn't the be all - end all of weight loss; calorie intake is.
  • shikala
    shikala Posts: 9
    Options
    Anyone can find the time to exercise. And what do you know what these ladies do or do not "have to do?"
    [/quote]

oh that's good for u and i'm glad u can make it...i'm not just the type who thinks working out daily is my no1 priority that's all...i dont like pushing myself cause last time i did it i ended up having psysiotherapy sessions.

and concerning the ladies....without knowing them of course....i admire those who have the great bodies and all....but i dont think for example that a professional trainer with a specific glamorous lifestyle, publicity etc has a daily routine like mine.....
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Rest days are essential for your muscles to repair and grow and your cardiovascular system to get more efficient.

If you get itchy feet, have an "active rest" day and just walk or swim gently.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I take very few rest days but for me thats fine I strength train 4 days a week I cardio most every day. but when I do feel tired I take a rest day but that is rare drives my wife nuts
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

oh that's good for u and i'm glad u can make it...i'm not just the type who thinks working out daily is my no1 priority that's all...i dont like pushing myself cause last time i did it i ended up having psysiotherapy sessions.

and concerning the ladies....without knowing them of course....i admire those who have the great bodies and all....but i dont think for example that a professional trainer with a specific glamorous lifestyle, publicity etc has a daily routine like mine.....
    [/quote] umm how does a Certified Personal Trainer have a glamorous and public lifestyle ... ? :S unless your CPT is on tbl or has their own private show i seriously doubt they have a "glamourous lifestyle"
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have 3-4 rest days per week. I like energy. I no like tiredness. I also like muscle recovery. Muscle recovery gives me strength. Muscle recovery good.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Sometimes I walk on my rest days just to be active but yet still rest my muscles. No fast pace or high heart rate just a nice walk.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I walk on my rest days just to be active but yet still rest my muscles. No fast pace or high heart rate just a nice walk.

This is exactly what I do. With the nights being nicer, I want to do a little something, even on my rest days.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I'm actually MAKING myself take a complete rest day today. I woke up feeling tired, run down, chilled and with a runny nose. Yeah, I think it's time to take a day off. ;) It's good for your body. You need time to repair any muscle damage you might have done with working out. Your body will thank you for it. If you need to move, just go for a nice walk.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Saturday is my normal rest day. I take it off for my mental health too. I need to remind myself that as important as my fitness program is, there is more to life than fitness. It's difficult, but I'm finding it's just as important as training hard the other 6 days.

This past week, I had an interesting thing happen. On Friday, I jumped on the treadmill and had planned to do 2-3 miles. The first mile was a piece fo cake, but the second mile was AWFUL. I felt lethargic and sluggish. I slowed the treadmill down and walked the next mile. Then I stopped. I sat down and had a good cry. I felt disappointed in myself. Friday night I felt soooooooo tired. Saturday I continued to feel tired and exhausted. I went to bed early Saturday night, and by Sunday I felt fantastic! I really think my body just needed a break.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rest is essential. All the "good things" (fat burning, muscle repair) happen while resting, not while working. Over training can actually be worse for your health than not exercising at all.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i agree with the active rest day. you wont feel guilty and you will still get in exercise without even thinking about it.

walk to the grocery store or play ball with your kids, declare the day "spring cleaning" and surface clean every room.