protein

Options
unable to meet my protein requirements though i make my calories... but... suggest something... i am not that into protein shakes.
I am vegetarian consume dairy products and do not take egg or fish...

Replies

• 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be greek yogurt, nuts, peanut/almond butter and cottage cheese

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I think beans are a good source of protein.
  • krullone
    krullone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I was on dialysis my nutritionist turned me on to these New Whey liquid protein shots. They have tons of protein and seemed to do the trick.
  • childofbodom123
    childofbodom123 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i am also vegetarian so here are a few things I try to get plenty of.

Wholegrain foods - Wholegrain bread, wholegrain cereals, barley, spelt, brown rice, corn, oats etc
    Beans - Kidney beans, Black beans etc
    Nuts - Cashews, peanuts, almonds, walnuts , even peanut butter!

Hope this helps :-)
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    quorn sausages, cottage cheese (can add protein powder to the cottage cheese)

i love

100g of fage o% greek yogurt
    50g raspberry
    50g bluberry
    70g strawberry
    add some protein powder,

mix pop in freezer for 20 mins
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating eggs, meat or fish you are going to have a very hard time getting enough protein without some type of protein drink or supplement. Especially if you are trying to lose weight or tone up. The MFP guidelines for protein are the bare minimum for maintaining normal health. But if you're working out, trying to tone or build muscle, you should up your protein so you're eating at least your lean body mass (measured in pounds) in protein grams per day. And if you're trying to lose weight, you should eat at least your weight in protein grams per day. For example, I started out weighing over 300 lb so I ate 300 g protein every day. Difficult, but it worked, and ensured that I didn't lose muscle as I lost weight.

But to answer your question: dairy is good! Hard cheeses in different flavors are a great snack. Greek yogurt can be good, but watch the sugar content in some of those. I like to get the plain kind and then mix a little flavored protein powder or crystal light powder into it, so you can get the flavor without the sugar. Also try choosing veggies that have higher protein: go for leafy greens, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms. I can't eat carbs, but if you're not too worried about that, then beans & tofu have more protein. And nuts are excellent, especially almonds.

Good luck!
  • sunnykt
    sunnykt Posts: 66
    Options
    Agreement: Protein powder. You know you want to do it! Plus you can even get pea and rice protein powders and such, which is a more vegan alternative.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thx... ppl..
    I have a feel that I will have to get some protein powder... i had a big serving of Black chickpeas, one each of kidney beans and amaranth greens, a cup of milk and also curd... but I still lack 78gms og protein... i weigh 162 gms and am not even eating half :grumble: