To those of you that saw the The Hunger Games

Options
Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
Was it good? I didn't get to go this weekend because it was sold out!

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yeah it was alllright, I had no preconceived ideas about it as I have not read the books. Wasn't massively impressed but was still a great movie.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty darn good. The only thing I didn't like was the way they moved the camera around sometimes - that shaky quick moving camera thing they do where you almost get nauseous.

They left out or changed few very things (like Prim giving Katniss the Mockingjay pin, not Madge, and a few other small details). I thought Haymitch was more positive toward Katniss in the movie - he didn't seem to like her much at all in the book, although he did give her more stuff during the game).

Overall, very good, and I'd go see it again.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I loved it! I've read the books and like the above poster said, there were a few changes, like Haymitch being nicer to Katniss, but overall they stuck to it. It was very well done and I was a giant crybaby through the entire reaping at the beginning.
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I LOVED it!!!
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    I thought it was great!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    LOVED IT! I read the book back in early 2009 - shortly after it was published - so I had forgotten a lot of the story. The movie brought it all back. They did a great job with the casting and the screenplay.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I really liked it, I've read all the books so knew what to expect and still jumped out of my skin at one point :/

No spoilers though.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    yeah i tried going as well and it was sold out. i haven't read the books or anything, i just really wanted to go to the movies this weekend and that seemed to be the best pick so that was what i wanted to see. well i ended up just leaving and deciding i will try to see it next weekend, or a different movie....
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It was great! I agree with the shaky camera aspect. It made me feel like I was missing what was happening.

Rue was so adorable and her scenes with Katniss were very good.

Go see it!
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It was okay. The books were much better. However, they did a fantastic job at recreating the visuals from the book! It was just as I had imagined it!
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was surprisingly happy with it. It wasn't a bad adaptation. Although I do agree with Juwaack68 about the shaky camera. I suppose it's just for the audience to get a sense that everything is happening in a blur at certain parts but I had to move back a few seats to get a better focus. But I would say go and see it.

I would also say definitely read the books though. They are good!

Edit: We went yesterday at 11:30am and it was in a small screen with no more than around 30. Loads of seats available. I was really expecting it to be packed but it was eerily quiet.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    No, big disappointment.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We are waiting until next weekend to let the crowds die down!

I wasn't really that interested in the book, but the movie looked so good that iI ran out last week and bought it- I read it in 3 days- a section a night after work!

I finally convinced my husband to take it and read it (he works overnights and has a lot of spare time!). After this first night reading it, he came into our bedroom the next morning as I was waking up, threw it on the bed next to me, and said "why dont you just shoot me up with crack in my sleep next time! that might be less addictive"....

So now we are both oficially hooked! Buying part 2 and 3 today! Woo hoo!
  • HRBush
    HRBush Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I thought it stuck well to the book with a few minor changes. I really liked it and my husband liked it to (he didn't read the books). I liked the fact that they explained what the trackerjacks were because I was about to explain to my husband that they weren't wasps when they explained it in the movie...so that was helpful..haha.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Went to see it with my daughter I donot like sci-fi trillers, but I must say Jennifer Lawrence acting along with Josh Hutcherson and Haymitch were are all good.I had booked it 3 days in advance and I got to sit in the 2nd row. The theater was full mostly adults with a few children.
  • coltrax
    coltrax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Read the trilogy and saw the movie and was impressed how close to the story line they stayed and thought the acting/action was good. Far better than the early Twilight movies. I recommend it.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the books, but I went to see the movie with my friend. It didn't give me any amazing "Wow" -feelings, but it was okay. Better than I expected :)
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed by it. I felt like they left off key parts of the story that might have helped non-readers...also, they ended it on a note that didn't leave people wondering if there would be another movie. I think they should have showcased the rebellion more so they knew that President Snow was mad at Katniss.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I thought it was pretty darn good. The only thing I didn't like was the way they moved the camera around sometimes - that shaky quick moving camera thing they do where you almost get nauseous.

They left out or changed few very things (like Prim giving Katniss the Mockingjay pin, not Madge, and a few other small details). I thought Haymitch was more positive toward Katniss in the movie - he didn't seem to like her much at all in the book, although he did give her more stuff during the game).

Overall, very good, and I'd go see it again.

This, exactly, for me too. I loved the books and was so worried that I'd be disappointed. I thought the adaptation was excellent and that the details they changed were minor. Loved Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, but agree that he was a little too nice to Katniss. The movie was only half over when I told my husband I wanted to see it again!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Better than Twilight. Nuff said.