What to eat while on vacation in new Orleans

Options
Some friends and I are going to New Orleans for spring break next week. I am overly nervous about how I'm going to maintain my healthy diet while down in the south. Although I avoid processed foods at home, I'm planning on bringing Luna bars to have as some meals along with whatever fruits and veggies I can find. Does anyone else have some suggestions as to healthy options in New Orleans (or in general?). Anything is greatly appreciated! I'm flying down so foods that are okay to have on a carry-on case are great :smile:

Replies

• Kitty582
    Kitty582 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid. My Husband I made a 22day long Journey trough the south and I've gained only two lbs. Every morning we've had a great Breakfast, something little for Lunch and in the evening we always ate normal southern food like ribbs e.g. But I always ate a small portion, we also shared our dessert. We were just avoiding alcohol for most days. Only one night we had some Magarithas.

So, just enjoy your Spring Break!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    try to stay away from the benights at cafe du monde (this is a popular place in the french quarter) .. they are sooooo good but they are fried donuts with powedered sugar (i dont want to know the calories..lol)

there is plenty of good food to eat down here (im just outside new orleans)
    and if your in the french quarter, you will do plenty of walking

i recommend trying some gumbo or jambalaya if you never had it before

also the french quarter has a lil market and you should be able to get some fresh fruits //
    feel free to send me a message with any questions
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add, but I hoping you get a few more responses because I am heading there myself in a few weeks.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I live in new orleans and let me tell you what, food is the centerpiece of everything. There's so much southern cooking that is irresistable. That said, seafood is a staple of a lot of dishes and that's where I would stick to. Boiled crawfish is in season right now and is the big thing at the moment. You can find all sorts of fish and shrimp dishes at most restaurants, though watch the sauces. If you explore downtown you can walk for hours looking at all the tourist things so that can be an unexpected workout while enjoying the sites. I might also just eat simple and healthy for breakfast and lunch and do your thing for dinner. Otherwise, just enjoy yourself and have a good time while you're on vacation. Just get back to work in the end.
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with Rachel - I also live in New Orleans and when I eat out I tend to stick to the seafood (which is amazing down here) and if I don't then I just make sure to ask for the sauces on the side. You will get a lot of walking in which should balance out the extra calories but my suggestion would be to enjoy yourself and eat what you want in moderation...
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish) so I love that there are plenty of fish options. While I plan on sticking to healthy meals for the most part, I love sweets so those will be my splurges. I have a wedding to attend soon after the trip and need to make sure I don't go too crazy.

I love walking, and cannot wait to see the city! For those of you who live down there, any suggestions on must see attractions? (We've already made reservations for a swamp tour, so cool!).:happy:
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    First of all…have fun! New Orleans is soooo amazing. The atmosphere, art, food, and music is all amazing! I would love to go back and spend more time there.

As far as food, seafood, seafood, SEAFOOD! =D Unfortunately there are plenty of seafood dishes that are probably not low calorie but I don’t think you should restrict yourself from anything while you’re down there. I’m sure you could simply just ask for any fish or other seafood just plainly grilled if you want, they are pretty cool down there. If you go to a good restaurant or find one highly recommended and hear that their etouffee is great….get it! Because it is great…. Just only eat a smaller portion and bring the rest back to your hotel and eat it later or share a plate with one of your friends. It would be a shame to miss out on some delicious food (and drinks!). Just don’t go crazy. And maybe once you get home…wait like 2 weeks to weigh yourself again! =D
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian who eats fish) so I love that there are plenty of fish options. While I plan on sticking to healthy meals for the most part, I love sweets so those will be my splurges. I have a wedding to attend soon after the trip and need to make sure I don't go too crazy.

I love walking, and cannot wait to see the city! For those of you who live down there, any suggestions on must see attractions? (We've already made reservations for a swamp tour, so cool!).:happy:

If sweets is your thing definitely make a stop at Southern Candymakers on Decatur street (you can google their website). They have award winning pralines and every kind of chocolate something you could imagine. All made fresh right in front of you. Decadent, I know just don't forget your exercise!
  • MissGFY
    MissGFY Posts: 8
    Options
    I love that this forum has been started. I am heading to NOLA this Saturday and was thinking the same thing. And how will I work out when I am visiting friends and too excited to eat alligator and drink frozen margaritas?!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Okay so for a general reference, if you go from Canal street and the River Walk to the end of the French Market walking down Decatur that's roughly one mile. So if you walk down the shops on each side you'll get in two miles without even thinking about it. Not to mention walking down to bourbon street if you decide to go out, which is also the same from one end to the other.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat yourself, just eat in moderation. I would share meals or focus on having one super meal that day, along with your healthy ones. I would be sure to eat something healthy for breakfast so your body will begin burning fat. And if you must have a yummy snack, share it for sure. This is your vacation, allow yourself to enjoy it. You can jump right back into your weightloss program when you get home. Remember no matter what, you will gain from the way the food is prepared. but that will come off within a day or two. Also I shear by this, since I've added weight training to my workout routine, I've vacationed and returned home with only a 1 to 2 pound gain. When I only did cardio, I always had a 5 to 6 pound gain. Hope you have a wonderful time!!! Moderation is the key!!!!!!!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Some friends and I are going to New Orleans for spring break next week. I am overly nervous about how I'm going to maintain my healthy diet while down in the south. Although I avoid processed foods at home, I'm planning on bringing Luna bars to have as some meals along with whatever fruits and veggies I can find. Does anyone else have some suggestions as to healthy options in New Orleans (or in general?). Anything is greatly appreciated! I'm flying down so foods that are okay to have on a carry-on case are great :smile:

I just moved from there...lived there for two years. Great place to visit. So...here's what I think....

Grilled Fish/Shrimp/Crawfish will be a safe bet. Alligator is QUITE lean. Get your normal grilled/steamed veggies.

DO NOT get the daquiri's from Bourbon street at places like Jester's...they suck!! If you are into the bar scene, I have a friend that enjoys Finn McCool's, it's an Irish Pub.
    SUperior Grill has AMAZING mexican food. Fajitas are always a win!
    Rotolo's is a Pizza Joint & has a GREAT hummus appetizer.
    If you go to Cafe Du Monde, split a plate of beignets with friends...it comes w/ 3. Def'ly worth it.
    There is a BEAUTIFUL park in Uptown called Audubon Park. It has a wonderful walking trail that is about 1.5 miles.
    There is another AMAZING restaurant called Zea's, it is a rotisserie & microbrewery place. Soooo delish!!

I'll be there this weekend too for a 5k with my old coworkers that live there.
    There is a 5k & 10k on St. Charles Avenue called the Great St. Charles Road Race. And in Luling, there is the United Way St. Charles Bridge 5k/10k. (Im doing that one!)

You can do this! Don't let your trip mess up your journey, but dont let your journey mess up your trip.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Seafood salads
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love that this forum has been started. I am heading to NOLA this Saturday and was thinking the same thing. And how will I work out when I am visiting friends and too excited to eat alligator and drink frozen margaritas?!

You can go the Audubon Park or run on the Levy. There is a sidewalk that goes for MILES along the MS River Levvy. Check it out!! Definitely worth it!!

<3
  • avandy83
    avandy83 Posts: 23
    Options
    Man, I can't control myself in New Orleans. I HAVE to have the beignets, I have to have gumbo, I have to have the Mufaletta. But when I go, I make sure I get in as much "excercise" as possible to try to balance it out. Lots of walking sight-seeing (lots to see anyways) and just 30 minutes in hotel gym every morning. But I can't deny myself the delicious foods in NOLA
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    You'll burn a ton of calories walking around the city. New Orleans is an amazing place to visit and part of that enjoying the local cuisine. Log your walking time and enjoy it.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options

Just find a gym and work out early everyday and have a blast!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Muffalettas, jambalaya, beignets and other tasty foods
  • Jimmy192120
    Options
    Stay away from the Gumbo
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you make a point of doing alot of extra walking, taking stairs instead of elevators when you can, etc - then there is probably no reason to deprive yourself of new orleans goodies. That is my plan of attack on any vacation - just move more and earn my dinner!