Why are bones gross?

Options
I see this posted a lot on the forum. Comments like "If I can see bones you are too skinny" or " EWW. Bones are for dogs!"

But I don't see the problem with bones? I mean if you can see every bone, rib, spine, then well I see the problem xD But my ribs stick out in the morning, my hips stick out like crazy and even hurt from rubbing on my jeans, and my collar bone is visible through most shirts and also very very noticeable. But im healthy weight, strong, and active,

Just curious on opinions of why? Do you think seeing bones are gross/unhealthy?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross. I cried like a baby when I could see my collarbones again. :smile:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. My collarbone sticks out like mad (it was where I first started to notice my weight loss), my hips bones, my ribs (if I stretch) and my boob ribs(that's totally not the right word, but it's the part below your collar bone, but between your boobs.)
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I don't see visible bones as being disgusting unless it's unhealthy and emaciated [and I know that you are not]. But everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion so I wouldn't worry about it.
    -wtk
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bones on thinspiration pics are upsetting but normal weight bone are great. I love my hips bones
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am of the same mind frame- not sure why bones gross people out. I have a rather large rib cage so when I lost my weight, you can see my ribs a little bit, my collar bone, and my hips to stick out. I think some peoples body compositions are just like that, even at being a healthy weight.

It's when you see someone that is emaciated, you can count all the bones in there chest, back, sides, face- that is a little much and a sign of something terribly wrong- in my opinion.

I think as a society we are conditioned to believe that "bony" equals "unhealthy" but that is not always the case.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Bones on thinspiration pics are upsetting but normal weight bone are great. I love my hips bones

That is what I think of when I think of extreme bones. I am wondering if this is what comes to mind to some people maybe?
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of those threads and think they are ridiculous. You can see a lot of my bones and I'm very healthy.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I tend to think people just don't understand that which they know nothing about. One wouldn't look at us and assume we eat 6 times a day, they probably "assume" we eat once a day, if that...
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross unless your way way under weight. I feel like it depends on the persons body shape. I eat healthy and snack a lot but my collar bones and ribs do show. I'm not underweight, 134 at 5'7, so it just depends on the person. People generalize way too often.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    !<= this is gross, I wish I could see some bones lol
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Why is fat gross?

If one is thin to where they can see bones, one will face off against people who are not attracted to think people and feel t hat being thin to the point of seeing bones is not attractive. Some may call it "gross".

The same as how fat people have to face off against those that feel fat is unattractive and called gross for being fat.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who is thinks bones are gross, but it is like an irrational fear for her xD I can make her sick if i grab my collar bone :devil: heh

That i understand, and that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. But doesn't mean we are unhealthy!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bones aren't gross. I cried like a baby when I could see my collarbones again. :smile:

Same here. Mine don't stick out absurdly or anything, but I like being able to see them.
    That being said, I think we can all agree that when tabloids point out "scary skinny" celebs whose entire spine appears to be bursting through their skin, it's an accurate depiction of when bones are a sign of being unhealthy. But that's an extreme view.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My bones stick out *everywhere*! I have pointy hip bones. Any yoga or pilates that requires me to lie prone usually hurts! My collarbones are really prominent. I can see ribs and spine when I bend and stretch. I can't sleep on my side because my knee bones hurt each other. LOL

And no... I'm NOT super-skinny - 5'9" and 145. I just have a large, strong frame and this is the way my body is made.

I think it's normal and healthy to see some bones through the muscle and flesh. But there is definitely a line that some people cross and you just see too many bones.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I see this posted a lot on the forum. Comments like "If I can see bones you are too skinny" or " EWW. Bones are for dogs!"

But I don't see the problem with bones? I mean if you can see every bone, rib, spine, then well I see the problem xD But my ribs stick out in the morning, my hips stick out like crazy and even hurt from rubbing on my jeans, and my collar bone is visible through most shirts and also very very noticeable. But im healthy weight, strong, and active,

You just have to realize that a lot of people on here think their way is the only way and anyone with a different goal or who looks different than they want to look is going to be the object of scorn.

Personally, while I want to be toned (i.e. not jiggle anymore!), I don't want a six pack. I don't want hard, defined muscles. I don't want a body fat percentage so low I can't have a period anymore. I want to be toned and soft and what *I* consider feminine. But to many here, that's "skinny fat" and there's something wrong with it.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Some people are naturally big boned. My collar and shoulder bones stick out and i bump my hip bones on everything these days... but i am far from being too skinny. I am 5 9 143 lbs and wear a size 11. I do believe there is to skinny though
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have a family member who is thinks bones are gross, but it is like an irrational fear for her xD I can make her sick if i grab my collar bone :devil: heh

I would be doing that at every single family gathering... just for ****s n' giggles...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Bones are only gross when they actually break through the skin, I've had that a couple of times - must try hard not to crash the bike again ;)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I like to chew on bones. IMO Bones are good.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. If you look at my avatar, you can see my collar bones. (I look quite thin, but, I still have a belly.) When I was in my 20's, I was naturally skinny as a rail. (5'10" 130lbs) I used to get so annoyed by the comments "Oh, gosh, girl! You're a skeleton!" or "Real women have curves."

I was normal. They were stupid, rude, and probably jealous.