Stronglifts 5x5? Pros? Cons?

Options
Im interested in this training program. I would like to hear from some folks out there that have done it or doing it. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    There are some huge feedback threads on this on the bodybuilding site.
    Trend seems to put it up against starting strength, with most people thinking 3x5 is better for long term gains.

Either way, one of the above is very good.

ymmv.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Good program.
    I'd reccommend that or starting strength.

Run that for a good year and you should see some results.

I wish I would've went that route when beginning. Spent too much time ****ing around with bodybuilding type workouts and got nowhere until I switched to a good barbell routine.
  • enginerd81
    Options
    My wife and I started this a few weeks ago - like it alot - the app is easy to use and the PDF is available for free online.

Only thing I don't care for is the squats on every session.

But we will give it 3 months before we really judge.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and I think it's working well. Don't be an idiot like me though and try to start heavier than you should. Start light and focus on form before adding weight. You really don't want to hurt yourself doing squats or deadlifts. I'm finally getting to a place where I feel like my form is better and I can start upping the weight. Watch video tutorials for any workouts you may not be familiar with.

And don't be afraid to ask questions if you see someone in the gym doing the same lifts. I saw a guy yesterday doing overhead presses and I realized how bad mine have been. All part of learning.

And good luck.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    My wife and I started this a few weeks ago - like it alot - the app is easy to use and the PDF is available for free online.

Only thing I don't care for is the squats on every session.

But we will give it 3 months before we really judge.

It'll be a bit boring, but squatting 3x a week will really build some muscle/strength.
    As long as your hips are feeling okay, keep squatting.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Im hearing nothing but good things about this program so Im definitely gonna try it out
  • wellbert
    Options
    Be very, very sure you know what you're doing when it comes to form. Bent over rows can wreck your lower back if you don't engage it properly. Not to mention what the rest can do.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    Is stronglifts good for building muscle mass, or should I do something different for that?
  • wellbert
    Options
    Is stronglifts good for building muscle mass, or should I do something different for that?

You'll get very solid, strong muscles. If you're just looking for beach muscles, it might not be your dish.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    I see. So you can pack on some mass with Stronglifts, then cut later?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Pros:
    Great strength building program
    Very easy to calculate and figure out progression
    Hits all the major muscle groups

Cons:
    The website has good info, but Medhi can reach "used car salesman" levels of annoyance at times.

All in all, I started the program in December, and saw huge gains before I had to stop and take the last month off due to a shoulder and back injury (unrelated to Stronglifts.) looking to get back into it in the week or so.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

5x5 is a strength building routine, not a hypertrophy routine. You will build strength, and dense, heavy muscles, but you won't build body builder type large muscles. Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick, but throw a shirt on and you'll just look like a regular guy, you won't have huge muscles bulging out of your shirt.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    I see. Sounds like a great strength training program
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

5x5 is a strength building routine, not a hypertrophy routine. You will build strength, and dense, heavy muscles, but you won't build body builder type large muscles. Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick, but throw a shirt on and you'll just look like a regular guy, you won't have huge muscles bulging out of your shirt.

It depends on how you eat. Lifting heavy doesn't mean you build dense heavy muscles.

To the OP, yes you'll put on some muscle mass from this. Eat big and lift heavy, then you can cut later if you want.
    Simple barbell routines will pack on mass, and you can look like you lift even with a shirt on. I've never seen a 600+ pound deadlifter that didn't look like he lifted. If you're hitting heavy compounds, you're gonna get big.
  • Brandongood
    Options
    Awesome thanks everyone!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    thanks everybody! i've been looking for more info on this!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    ... Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick...

Sign me up! What is the web site?
  • Brandongood
    Options
    ... Pretty much you'll be able to bench press a Buick...

Sign me up! What is the web site?

Send me your email I'll shoot you the PDF
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks into it and I have enjoyed it. It's motivating to keep adding weight to the lifts. I went too long trying to develop my own workouts. While I had success with my own routine, it became monotonous. I use the iphone app and it helps me keep track of the workouts.

Edit: And yes, lifting vehicles is a good goal to have.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump