Calorie counting

Options
Hi,

When you are calorie counting, do you count absolutely everything like fruit and salad?

I need to feel in control so am thinking of cal counting, but am feeling a bit put off by having to track everything.

I am currently 87kg and 5 months in to a 12 month trip in a caravan around Oz. Half the time we haven't got a signal for the Internet but I can still track on the iPhone app.

Any help is appreciated;)

Rachx

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Everything. Fruit definitely - at around 100 calories a piece, and with a high sugar content, it's something I need to keep track of.

Vegetables - pretty much, but if there are loads of low calorie things like cucumber or tomato in a salad, I might not bother with them all.

But.....once you've got a few weeks worth of food in your own history, it's pretty easy to pick out your meals from teh "recent foods" tab. So teh tracking gets easier over time.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I track everything. It all has calories.
  • AngelaG2006
    Options
    I track everything, yes. This way it is precise and I know exactly every calorie, carb, sugar, fat, etc. is accounted for :) I also log on my bad days when I go over. It is a visual for me and shows me what I DON'T want. Kind of a punishment for myself to see how horrible I did that day. Haha :)
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! It's the only way to know where you're at for the day. It gets easier as you get used to it.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I count even gum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes everything be honest! Calories are Calories anyway you look at them!
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I log everything, yeah. Some fruit has a lot of calories in it, as well as carbs and sugar. The same for some veg stuff. I tend to not log on weekends though, since I know I've gone over and I don't mind as I work hard during the week. I'm not cheating myself, I know I've eaten it, I just can't be bothered logging it :laugh: but on weekdays, yeah, everything.
  • JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everything yes and the weights of foods can make a difference too. When you look back to analyse your weight loss and what works for you, its much easier if you've put everything in.

As Melaniecheeks above said, it does get easier. The more you use the app, the more it remembers your recent and most used items.

Enjoy your trip! :smile:
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Every bit of anything I ingest is logged. I want to know exactly how much I'm eating.. those "little things" can add up quickly when you dont log.
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll be tracking everything then.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The other reason I track vegetables is because when I am not paying attention at all, I tend to run quite low in fiber and potassium. Tracking vegetables helps me know that I'm getting enough there.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I try to count everything. sometimes I go a few hours between eating a banana and logging, and forget I ate it (further proving why tracking is important)

I find it's important to remember you're not just logging to deprive yourself of calories, but also to make sure you're getting ENOUGH calories