Frustrated - 17 Day Diet, 14 days in, and have gained!

Options

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Maybe the 17 day diet is not earth days. Moon days are a little longer, maybe try there?
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the 17day diet, but i'm going to guess that they made the diet 17 days for a reason. No one picks 17 days at random. I'm guessing that since it is not the 14 day diet, you should not fret on day 14 but wait until day 17 and see what's up. If everything they promised happened in 14 days, they would call it the 14 day diet.

If it doesn't work out, well, at least you tried! You probably learned something about yourself in the end.. I did the Clean cleanse and although I only lost 4 lbs, I still learned a lot about myself, what I like to eat, how much I really need to eat in a day, and about preparing new foods. Make sure to focus on the good from the experience too!
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I have had a few minor slip ups, I will admit. But they are SO little.
    1) I ate a piece of fruit after 2pm, 3 different days.
    2) Twice I've added a HALF packet of sugar to my coffee (for a total of one packet of sugar in two weeks)
    3) I went to a baby shower and had one 1"x1" (very small) square. Other than that I ate a little fruit at the baby shower (which was one of my times I ate fruit after 2pm), and i made sure it was fruit that was acceptable (berries).

This. Any diet which makes you think of these things as "slip-ups" is clearly perpetuating unhealthy habits and beliefs relating to weight loss
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. That's why I use MFP as the only program. I keep up with not only calories but fat, protein, chol., fiber and sugar. I've been on the program about 2 months and have lost 15lbs. I eat the foods I want but try to stay within my limits. I have only gained one week and it was a pound. I practice patience because I only loose 1-1.5 per week but I enjoy my meals. I also print out my reports and review them. I know this is extreme but it's working. I try to drink my water and take the stairs at work. make sure not to over load myself with a lot of exercise fast because I want to stay on this program. I hope this helps I know it has helped me a lot. I weighted in at 208 so you know I have a long way to go. GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU DO

WHAT SHE SAID!!!

FYI... today I'm going to a mexican buffet. So, I will eat veggies like crazy in lunch and at night, I surely will pass my allowed calories. And tomorrow I will be back at normal "eating closely to my allowed calories".

Those "dont eat that! Or that!" can work. But the freedom that you have only controling what you want to eat, is priceless.

MFP FOR THE WIN :)
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    Restrictive diets I've found either make a person gain weight or lose a lot then gain it all back. I find an hour of exercise along with the dieting helps, and they key to getting weight to stay off is not depriving yourself. Because then all you do is crave what you cannot have. Also, I had the same problem but I upped my calorie intake and I started losing weight. If you eat to little your body will go into starvation mode.

THIS!

This is why a lifestyle change is more important than a short term diet. Eating to your calorie goals on MFP is a good start along with adding in your exercise goals. Diets are short term and can only give short term results. I think people need to realize there is no "quick fix" and that you have to eat healthy, eat things you "crave" in moderation, and move your body!
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I take it that you wanted this 17 day diet to kickstart your weightloss rather than shed the 30lbs in that time, right?

Are you drinking lots of water where you didn't before? Might be water retention. Also, that diet (I admit I had to google what that is!) is on very low calories. So your body might be storing the calories for better times, especially if you keep eating at or below the 1200 cals the diet allows on days you exercise.

Also, the diet appears low in fiber, that's not necessarily a good thing either, and the link I clicked it says 'Dr. Mike says the diet is not for type 1 diabetics, or for teens, pregnant and lactating women, and sick people I might add. And it is prudent to take a multivitamin-mineral supplement during the first two phases.'
    That statement alone strikes me as 'not healthy' - so make sure you get enough fiber and vitamins and maybe eat your exercise calories back

Best of luck, and if this one didn't do the trick for you I sure hope you'll find a way to lose weight healthily that works for you. Personally, I'd say stay away from these diet fads and just turn your personal food intake into a healthy, balanced one and keep active!

x
  • BrayneZ
    BrayneZ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about the 17day diet, but i'm going to guess that they made the diet 17 days for a reason. No one picks 17 days at random.

Scientifically, I don't see any basis for the number 17 other than a marketing gimmick. Everybody (particularly people who are in need of lifestyle changes, or "diets") is at a different metabolism setting - some might take a lot longer than others for the fat to start melting of healthily.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on your parade but if you are really serious about losing fat and being healthy. Stop fad dieting and change your eating habits. Eat CLEAN and exercise.... Fad diets are temporary and require way more will power than most humans can handle. By changing WHAT you eat, you will be more healthy, full of energy and never deprived..
  • FinalOutrage
    Options
    Step 1: Stop fad dieting.
    Step 2: Stop eating at starvation level but continue at a 300-500 calorie deficit (CLEAN eating)
    Step 3: Start lifting weights
    Step 4: SUCCESS.

Seriously, I grow tired of people that worship these quick weight loss diets, when all they are doing is burning majority lean body mass in the end instead of fat.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've read the book (still have it on my Kindle somewhere). I like some of the principles, but overall, I don't want to ever 'start' something I cannot maintain.

Honest opinion? Stop the diet.

What it all boils down to is: Healthy lifestyle change.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you measured your waist/hips? I've you've been doing an hour of intensive yard work every night that is not common for you to be doing, its possible you've traded fat for muscle... even just a little bit. Certainly not as much as you would like, but those detox and crash type diets usually are disappointing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record what you've told us is exactly why people should avoid these diets in the first place.

You did well on the South Beach Diet but put it back on.....why? Because these "diets" are not sustainable - trust me, I've done more than my fair share over the years and the weight has always come back with a vengeance.

Whet you need to do (what we all need to do) is focus on making good nutritional choices, practice portion control and eat a balanced diet of lean proteins, vegetables and fruits - avoiding processed foods that are often laden with trans fats, hidden sugars (a rose by any other name.......) and sodium. Create a sustainable caloric deficit and, preferably, build exercise into your lifestyle and be patient.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The 17 day diet (whatever that is) makes a huge mistake in thinking that you only have to diet for 17 days. Diet is the way you decide to eat. This is a lifetime - for all of us. I don't have just 17 days left to live (that I know of) so I'm bound to choose a "diet" that will work for my life. You should too.

And you might want to reconsider not lying to yourself. The one paragraph you state how hard it is to stay on this diet but you have done it. Absolutely. The next paragraph you list 3 ways you DID NOT follow the diet absolutely. If you log your food you don't confuse yourself about what you are eating, not eating.

Just my thoughts.
  • MissPiggyWiggy
    MissPiggyWiggy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    fad diets do not work
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Step 2: Stop eating at starvation level but continue at a 300-500 calorie deficit (CLEAN eating)

Seriously, I grow tired of people that worship these quick weight loss diets, when all they are doing is burning majority lean body mass in the end instead of fat.

^^^^^THIS

once again...diets dont work
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options

This, only one thing you got wrong in that statement: the main thing these diets do before burning anything, is make the person who wrote the book a good bit richer! :tongue:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    Sounds like you just want the weight off NOW. Remember, the weight didn't come on that fast, so trying to lose it fast isn't healthy. YOur body goes into starvation mode and hordes the fat rather than release it. Get on this site , find your program ,which it says around 2 pounds a week is normal, track your calories. If there is something I really want to eat , like pizza, I know I have to excersize to make up for the added calories. When you excersize the program will automatically deduct the calories burned and you have more room to eat more if you wish. the program will tell you if you have not had enough calories that day also.. its great!!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have tried silly diets like this one and others and the only one that works is just eating low calorie, healthy food and exercising like crazy! I have been exercising since Jan 2012 at the gym and I am so much more toned, and have lost ten pounds and six inches off of waist and hips. It takes time, but it is something that I must continue to do. My goal is by the end of the year losing thirty pounds. It's the only way. I say don't be in such a hurry.

And as for you saying you must adhere to a strict diet, I assume because you feel you may cheat, MFP regulates your calories and fat etc, so it is a guide for you to know if you are getting closer to your daily allotment.

If you MUST have a strict, ready made diet plan, try Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. People have had good results with those, and they give you all the food you need, already measured out. You pay about the same as you would if you go grocery shopping.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Stay away from these money making, gimmick diets, as that is all they are. They promise great results, happily grab your money and don't promote a healthy lifestyle at all.

Just stick to a reasonable number of calories, using this site to work out how many, exercise for an hour, 4-5 times a week, whether it be jogging, fast walking, cycling, lap swimming or dance etc, and stop trying to get a quick fix solution. It won't happen.

You have to change your whole lifestyle in a way that you can sustain for life, not just a few weeks, and most of these diets are not sustainable for life.

It might take a little more time to lose the weight, but at least you will start losing it and keep it off.

Also, it is your body, only you can truly know what it needs, so why place more trust in someone else to know what it needs than your own self?
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you probably need to drink some water. also make sure you are getting the minimal amount of cals which is 1200. if it is less than that your body will be storing if you go over on some days.
    If you were to add up what you ate on the South Beach Diet it would have been around 1400cals and they say exercise at least 3 time a week. some specialty diets such as this are more for Plateau busting not to lose weight when you need to change your eating habits all together.
    Maybe you should go back to the South beach Plan and after you have reached your goal weight finish it up with the maintenance they suggest to keep the weight off.
    Good Luck