Just calorie counting..

Options
I am hoping someone will b able to help a little. It's seems as with the active lifestyle that my son is leading, chasing after a 2 yr old and working full time. I am having a hard time getting motivated to be active for myself! I feel very guilty for not getting a work out in so I feel like everything else is pointless:( everyone around me is loosing weight, I truly want to make this change. I am curious is anybody can tell me the success they had just counting calories on here and not so much working out. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My fiance got a neck injury about three weeks after we started our fitness program that has seriously limited her ability to exercise for at least 6-8 weeks. So far it hasn't affected her weight loss at all, she is still dropping about 2 pounds or more a week.

Two other things, don't discount the energy you expend being the mom of a toddler. That takes a lot of movement. Also, putting your child in a stroller and getting out for a walk is therapeutic for you, and stimulating for you toddler. It's good both ways.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the answer to that myself. You sound very busy and I understand the lack of time for yourself. When I was busy with 3 children (but not working full time), I did an intense aerobics program 3 times a week and did not count calories. I found I did eat a bit less just from being more aware and i dropped down to 113 pounds from 137 in about 6 months time. So that was due to exercise.
    If I had just counted calories - I'd have been cheating, I'd never have been able to lose more than about 5 to 7 pounds. At least that has been my experience with calorie counting.
    If it does work for you, i want to know though.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Cannot really give personal experience, but ...

While calorie counting + exercise is better than calorie counting, that does NOT mean that calorie counting alone is a waste! And don't underestimate the exercise chasing a toddler gives.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you are disciplined about it you will lose weight by following a balanced diet that creates a caloric deficit. Exercise is desirable for a whole host of reasons but you can lose by diet alone.

If you're following a calorie restricted diet and exercising the conventional wisdom is to eat back most or all of your exercise calories, accordingly most of the weight loss is a result of the calorie restriction.

It's hard working full time and looking after a family (especially an energetic 2 year old) and many parents have a hard time scheduling in some "me' time. While it doesn't sound specifically like exercise even going for a half hour family walk 3 or 4 times a week can have significant positive impact on your overall health.
  • MamaMel71
    MamaMel71 Posts: 15
    Options
    I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I have a 3 year old and 5 year old who don't know the meaning of the word "sit". But it is true, everything you do adds up. Have to bend over and pick up those toys, have to vaccuum or sweep up those cheerios, have to scrub off the crayon on the wall? Trust me, it all adds up. And, yes, throw the little guy in the stroller and head on down the road after lunch or even when it is nap time. My kids used to sleep in the stroller all the time. Walking is a big majority of what I do for weight loss and it works if you do it consistently and try to go longer and faster as you progress. I started out walking slow(2.0 mph) for 20 minutes a day and now am up to 3.5 mph an hour a day when I can make it. It can be done with a little bit of creative thinking. I find it too hard to just count calories and try to cut out 2 pounds worth every week. Mixing it up with exercise is so much easier.

Sorry, have to do an edit. Forgot that you said you work full time. I do too but from home so I take time out of my day whenever which obviously you can't do. Perhaps try to make it a walk after dinner then with the little guy in the stroller. Or just add things throughout your day like a walk at lunch or up and down some stairs. Going up and down the stairs for only 5 minutes can burn like almost 50 calories. While that may not seem like much, a quick trot up and down during lunch every day can add up(I lost 10 pounds in a year just doing that alone without changing everything else when I first moved into my house from my apartment)
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same!
  • aapayette
    aapayette Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am mom of a toddler and an infant (toddler goes to preschool 3 days a week) and I've barely exercised and have mostly been just calorie counting, I've lost 13 lbs since January. I lost about 9 lbs in the first few weeks very quickly and then had a plateau for a couple of weeks, so I went a bought a food scale, and it really helped me get more accurate about my calorie intake. Since then I've lost another 4 lbs.

I can barely get a shower in, let alone finding time to exercise lol. Now that winter is over, I'm trying to get outside and walk a little more, even if it's just 10 minutes. I also have some dance parties with my kids lol I figure anytime I'm not sitting down, I'm burning calories, whether it's playing and keeping up with the kids, or cooking and cleaning, it all burns calories.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It is possible for many people to lose weight only counting calories. Some people, however, must exercise in order to see the scale move.

I've lost some of mine without exercise. It just goes faster when I work out plus I get to eat more.