What do you think about Food, Inc?

Options
slparsaca
slparsaca Posts: 59 Member
I watched the documentary Food, Inc last night and I seriously think I've lost my appetite. Have you seen this movie and what do you think about it?

Replies

• joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've thought about watching on Netflix a few times but just can't bring myself to to do it. Just think how much worse it will be become as the population grows. Soylent Green I tell ya ! ; )
  • Wrappedinbacon
    Wrappedinbacon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I watched it and it is disturbing. The guy with his arm in the side of the cow was a little much for me. But I did find it educational and it is helping me to make some different food choices
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    it upset me enough to only buy organic meat, lol..
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I watched it and it is definitely eye-opening. The way that some of our food is produced...ugh.
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've thought about watching on Netflix a few times but just can't bring myself to to do it. Just think how much worse it will be become as the population grows. Soylent Green I tell ya ! ; )

Soylent Green? That sounds tasty!
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    All those shows are biased but not everything is untrue also. There was the lady who showed her chicken farm because she said it just wasn't right what they do to chickens and she didn't care about losing her contract. Come to find out they already pulled her contract so she can say anything negative and it has more to do with her being fired then what is or is not true. Things like that turn me off of food documentaries. With that said we buy grass fed beef locally and see the cows and pigs we are eating roaming the fields across the street from the butcher shop. Tasted way different but no pink slime or saw dust :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary Food, Inc last night and I seriously think I've lost my appetite for life. Have you seen this movie and what do you think about it?

Pretty much the same as I do about all the scare-mongering, over-simplifying conspiracy theory movies. That it oversimplifies and scare-mongers. I think, if you're inclined to read, rather than watch movies which try to cover a complicated point in around two hours, you'd do better with Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." More good facts, less nauseating scare-mongering.

If you really hate reading, it's at Audible as well.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It sickened me, but definitely made me think about my food choices.
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I recently watched it on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. It really didn't make me hungry for a few days. It turned my stomach on several scenes. But it really showed us the cold hard facts about your foods. And really sealed the deal on buying organics and grass feed/free range meats & poultry. I alway complain but the higher prices but now that is all that I will buy. I also want to support these smaller farmers. : )

I lived in North Carolina for 12 yrs and we saw those chicken houses out in the country all the time. We'd hear stories about how awful they were. Drive by them on a damp cold morning and chicken #$#$# is all you smelled. It was gross.

I am only eating vegitarian now when eating out at restaurants unless I know there meats/poultry are grass feed/free range.
  • FitLink
    Options
    All those shows are biased but not everything is untrue also. There was the lady who showed her chicken farm because she said it just wasn't right what they do to chickens and she didn't care about losing her contract. Come to find out they already pulled her contract so she can say anything negative and it has more to do with her being fired then what is or is not true. Things like that turn me off of food documentaries. With that said we buy grass fed beef locally and see the cows and pigs we are eating roaming the fields across the street from the butcher shop. Tasted way different but no pink slime or saw dust :)

No, not everything is untrue, but not everything is true, either. And these missteps in truth are excused by saying that the point needs to be made. This type of movie is good only for people who are looking for something to back up an opinion they already hold and want to make a point about. For some reason they think the "over-the-top" tactics makes their point rather than detracts from it. For a more balanced look at food production in the US, Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma" seems better researched and less intended to scare or sicken to make the point.
  • FitLink
    Options

Soylent Green? That sounds tasty!

"Soylent green is people!"
  • slparsaca
    Options
    I know some documentaries are one sided, but for the most part I think there is some truth to the message they are trying to convey. I will be making different choices when it comes to food. Last year we started to buy more from our farmer's market and local farmers but mainly to support local businesses and to eat healthier. I'm going to make better choices now that I know better.

I think I'm going to check out that book, "The Carnivore's Dilemma." Thanks!
  • FitLink
    Options
    I know some documentaries are one sided, but for the most part I think there is some truth to the message they are trying to convey. I will be making different choices when it comes to food. Last year we started to buy more from our farmer's market and local farmers but mainly to support local businesses and to eat healthier. I'm going to make better choices now that I know better.

Omnivore. "The OMNIVORE'S Dilemma."

Of course there's some truth in the movie. There's also a lot of deliberate misstatements. That's why I recommend a more balanced presentation, like Mr. Pollan's.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Omnivores-Dilemma-Natural-History/dp/0143038583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332773548&sr=8-1
  • FitLink
    Options
    I watched the documentary Food, Inc last night and I seriously think I've lost my appetite. Have you seen this movie and what do you think about it?

I am glad to see you've edited this. It was disconcerting to think you would consider life not worth living over a movie that is mostly half-truths anyway.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Disgusting documentary, but it makes you realize that the food in our grocery stores is disgusting. I'd rather know the truth, than be naively unaware about what I'm putting in my body. I don't want cancer in 30 years.

I started my first garden this summer and I'm planning on making it organic. I still don't have a lot of access to healthier meats, though.:-(

Shannon
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I thought it was interesting and thought-provoking and caused me to evaluate what we eat/buy. I had the same reaction to Omnivore's Dilemma and the documentary King Corn. I think some of it is over-the-top and sensationalist, but I also think that if that drives some change, so be it. The more people are aware of what they eat, the more what they buy may change. Ideally, that will mean the food industry will respond to what consumers are spedning money on. Theoretically, at least.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It changed my life. I immediately started buying organic milk and produce, stopped buying ANYTHING Tyson, started buying cage-free eggs and poultry (bonus if it's organic) and grass-fed beef. I use the app Fooducate now, because this movie started making me scrutinize everything I put in my mouth, but more importantly, everything I buy for my child.
  • slparsaca
    Options

Omnivore. "The OMNIVORE'S Dilemma."

Of course there's some truth in the movie. There's also a lot of deliberate misstatements. That's why I recommend a more balanced presentation, like Mr. Pollan's.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Omnivores-Dilemma-Natural-History/dp/0143038583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332773548&sr=8-1

YES, The Omnivore's Dilemma! I got it! LOL
  • slparsaca
    Options

I am glad to see you've edited this. It was disconcerting to think you would consider life not worth living over a movie that is mostly half-truths anyway.

Haha...yeah, for those of you who do not know me I am NOT a morning person....sorry for any worry I may have caused :)
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I liked it. I thought it was interesting and thought-provoking and caused me to evaluate what we eat/buy. I had the same reaction to Omnivore's Dilemma and the documentary King Corn. I think some of it is over-the-top and sensationalist, but I also think that if that drives some change, so be it. The more people are aware of what they eat, the more what they buy may change. Ideally, that will mean the food industry will respond to what consumers are spedning money on. Theoretically, at least.

True enough. The "Pink Slime" or Boneless Lean Beef Trimmings product is a recent example. It may be approved by the USDA but I don't want to eat it if I can help it. Just give me choices. You just have to be smart when wtaching any documentary these days. Most times there is an agenda being driven. Eating healthy is a laudible and reachable goal. Most people know by now though that eating fast food on a regular basis is inherently unhealthy. I can stiill make my own decisions on wether to partake. Just tell me if it's Soylent Green...come on : )