workout routine?

Options
I'm fairly new to weight training and I'm pretty confused as to what I should be doing at the gym.

I truly enjoy cardio and my favorite thing to do is the elliptical and bike ride! But i know I need more then that.

How many reps of something do you "generally" need to do to see results? Should I be doing reps to the point that I'm straining a little, do I want to be sore the next day?

My fiance is big into the weights and I perfer cardio. My main focus overall is being active, because I'd like to lose weight first and foremost and maybe tone up later?

I donno. Could somebody tell me what their daily routine was when you first started?

:)

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I did everything wrong when I first started and I wish I would've gotten into something like starting strength or stronglifts.

For starting out, at least focus on some free weights (ask for help) and compound lifts.
    Squats/Deadlifts/Bench/Rows/Pullups are pretty much all you need to get started.

I'd google starting strength if I were you. Basic barbell programs are great. They'll emphasize that less is more, and if you keep things simple, you should make some great progress.