Stop stuffing your face stupid!

Options
I struggle with this action of stiffing my face stupid. When I get home from work I just want to relax so I eat. . . Huh? It sounds weird even when I say it. I often overeat when I am stressed or whenever I feel uncomfortable. I recently strained my legs in taekwondo and whay have I been doing? If you guessed stuffing my face stupid then you would be correct. I know I can overcome this very bad habit of mine. I need to face these feelings instead of hiding from them behind food. I go through spells of this and the more I move on and the faster I move on the easier it is to overcome. I have decided to post daily about my daily actions. Perhaps it will help find where I go astray. Anyone can post daily if they go through this. I would be glad to support anyone who struggles with this. But remember no starting over!

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are holding yourself accountable like this, hopefully it will help you stop. I've been getting a bit stressed lately and keep getting the overwhelming desire to just have a big ol' binge on comfort foods. So far I've either resisted by convincing myself that I will definitely only feel worse later or I've done a whole load of excercise to earn enough calories for the comfort food I want - not sure if that is a good solution or not really.
    I think you are right the key is to talking the cause not the symptoms. Perhaps if you can look at why you are stressed you can overcome that without needing the food.
    Good luck!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem to snack, just try to substitute bad stuff with fruit or popcorn, healthy snack stuff.
  • bellydancerj9
    bellydancerj9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, snacking is okay, but I take it to a whole new level. It is more like emotional eating. I get like a zombie: food! :). I just keep thinking about what can I eat next. I was not born this way and I will overcome this for good!
  • bellydancerj9
    bellydancerj9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did not eat too much yesterday. I did not eat everything.in sight! I am finally getting myself under control. This time I will keep it that way.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1: Stop insulting yourself, would you take that from a stranger? :huh:

Binges happen. They are going to always happen. Best thing you can do when you realize that is what your doing is to get away from where ever you are at. Change location, step away from food! It may not be an easy thing to do, but find a way to distract yourself. Best thing you can do!

Just be gentle with yourself! Do your scolding and move on. No worries!
  • Helenacabral1
    Options
    U sound like me!!Its hard to change but a always start a new day and try to do better!!Don;t give up,,u can beat this!!!Add me if u like!!Good luck..:)
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with binging - it's really hard to deal with! My cure was increasing my calories, working out (including weight lifting) and concentrating on making my calories count.

A 100 calorie snack pack of oreos will not satisfy me in the long run like my 89 calorie afternoon snack today (hard boiled egg & yellow bell pepper). Now that I'm eating smarter and fueling myself with plenty of calories my urge to binge is GONE.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY what I struggle with.... mindless eating after work, part of it is I usually am a little hungry after my 12 hr shift. But I'm not able to have a small snack and stop. I'm using eating & watching TV as a way of unwinding after the stress of work. I'm trying to find a replacement habit that will give me the same reward (relaxation), does anyone have any suggestions or tips that have worked for them to break a bad habit/ritual?
  • cassmonster
    cassmonster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do it too! Mindless eating.....especially with the Nutella :P no control. Ive come far, been at a standstill FOREVER, and need to start over again!! Support and adding me as a friend is appreciated:)
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The same here. After 3 o'clock when I start eating I can not stop,
    But we can do it together
    :smile:
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    This is me too :(
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Just step back, examine the situation, and make a wise decision.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have done that before and will probably to it again. We all fall into that mode, but recognizing it and knowing what triggers that response will help you steer clear of it on a consistent basis. Mine was idle time, when i was watching tv with nothing in my hands i would fill it with food. Now i have my computer (this site) to keep me company while watching tv, it takes my mind of munching. It is sometimes a necessity to feel like you have lost control, but by regaining control of your behavior you become stronger every time.
  • Iamsugarlips
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7592592
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this one out myself. I've had some incredibly stressful situations come up lately, and I've found myself binging on many days. I'm trying to figure out how to quit. When I'm that stressed, I just don't care, but I always regret it later. I'm working on getting back on track now after doing this for a while.
  • PSGPolly
    PSGPolly Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I said that to myself Saturday and the Sunday before that. Week-ends are the time I seem to be giving myself permission to binge. Seems I have been too restrictive and focussing on the numbers of the scale. Then when I let me hair down it is out of control. And I promise never to do that again, but do. So this week I am going to try and plan better, allow for a treat, then stick to it and no more. I have to be careful what I choose though because I think sugar causes me to want more and more and sets me up for a binge
    We're all learning so be kind and keep trying...well done for an honest post
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to eat constantly while preparing dinner then sit down and eat a full dinner (even though I really didn't feel like it). I now know that afternoon is my real danger time and I often find myself standing looking in the pantry for something to eat. A couple of things that have helped me is to brush my teeth as it slows me down, and lately I've started chewing gum while cooking dinner and only throw it away when it is time to eat. It has really helped me stop the mindless nibbling.
    As for stress eating - I can't help there!! I still do it myself, not to mention up all night with crying children eating!
  • HikeRunLift
    Options
    Get high and use the munchies as an excuse. Then you can blame the weed and not your lack of willpower
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Read a good book, get absorbed in it, sip herbal tea while reading. Do you like pickles?
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY what I struggle with.... mindless eating after work, part of it is I usually am a little hungry after my 12 hr shift. But I'm not able to have a small snack and stop. I'm using eating & watching TV as a way of unwinding after the stress of work. I'm trying to find a replacement habit that will give me the same reward (relaxation), does anyone have any suggestions or tips that have worked for them to break a bad habit/ritual?

Hi Did u find any solution .Just came back from 12 hours work and I ate salmon fish cucumber (pickle to satisfy my crave for salty food ) with tomato .I am not hungry But keep thinking I should eat some fun food .