starting to get discouraged

Options
I'm starting to get discouraged... I haven't lost any weight in about 2 weeks. I'm always under my goal .. I walk and Zumba about 4 days a week. The other 3 days, I work I am so busy and i work long hours (CNA). I am getting so frustrated and at times i wanna give up... but I always feel guilty thinking like that.. My husband has been loosing weight seems like every 3-4 days.. all I do is stay the same or gain half lb. If you have any advise please send it my way!! I need some motivation!!

Thanks.. Shepock

Replies

• tigerbabe2
    tigerbabe2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined 2day & seen post. Don't give up, never just like the lil train, lol. I used to work as a HHA before my pg in 1999 and know how time consuming it can be. I've been on the Special K diet for a month w/o results. I'm a single mom of 2 sons, and have no support system, so I am here to be your's. Maybe 2gether we can win this Fat game :P I have a goal of 30 lbs. to lose by my b-day 7/22. nice 2 meet ya, have a gr8 day :D
  • aprileigh27
    Options
    I know this sounds funny, but have you ever checked what your BMR is and your TTDE. Google it and put your figures in. MFP tells me that I am supposed to eat 1300 cals a day....my BMR is about 1600 and my TTDE is about 2000 and bc of that they are telling me that I should eat in between that which is 1800. So if I am exercising and eating 1800 then my body doesnt go into starvation mode and then I start loosing fat. Switch it up a bit and see what happens. Also drink a gallon of water a day and make sure that your eating a very large breakfast...so that over the day you wont be over doing it for lunch and dinner. :)
  • bellydancerj9
    bellydancerj9 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough or too much of sugar or salt. Do not give up! You can do this!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fml
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get discouraged... I haven't lost any weight in about 2 weeks. I'm always under my goal .. I walk and Zumba about 4 days a week. The other 3 days, I work I am so busy and i work long hours (CNA). I am getting so frustrated and at times i wanna give up... but I always feel guilty thinking like that.. My husband has been loosing weight seems like every 3-4 days.. all I do is stay the same or gain half lb. If you have any advise please send it my way!! I need some motivation!!

Thanks.. Shepock

Eat your calories plus the ones that you earn from exercise and you will lose.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How about comparing two weeks to the amount of time that you were not trying to lose weight?

How about tracking your life on a monthly cycle and realising that your natural weight will go up and down and you may be maintaining during a time when you usually gain. SO you're actually ahead.

How about realising that two weeks without a loss is NOTHING.

Also, you and your man are completely different people and lose weight and change body comp at entirely different rates- not because of gender difference or anything, but because you dont have the same body...

If you're planning on changing your entire life, you cant let two weeks frustrate you. How will you face the next 40 years if 2 weeks is enough to make you quit?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Guys seem to lose weight faster than women. For the first time ever, I'm losing faster than my boyfriend, but I know that's temporary because his meds were messed up. Don't compare yourself to anyone but yourself! Do you feel better after two weeks of eating better and exercise? That's a terrific way to start!

It can take 4-6 weeks for our bodies to respond to a new mode of eating and activity. Give your body time to figure out what your mind wants from it! Think THIN! You can do it if you can hold on to it in your mind. The power of visualization is important!

Keep up the good work! The weight loss will come in time.
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    Last year I had the same problem, I was at, under or slightly over my recommended calories and my weight was not moving. I made an appointment with a nutritionist to see if they had any ideas and suggestions.
    It could be that, YES you are consuming the right amount of calories, but a nutritionist can look at what you are eating to see if are eating enough of the RIGHT calories for your body.
    I was eating too many carbs and not enough protein.
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Success often happens just AFTER the point where many people give up.
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    ShePock,

jonesdav254 offers solid advice. Giving up is certain failure.
  • lisaj65
    lisaj65 Posts: 2
    Options
    ShePock, I am in the exact same boat! I have a really long way to go and it is so discouraging that i have not lost in the last 2 weeks, and I have been good! I am keeping positive and trudging through and will NOT give up! I made the decision and I will keep with it! Stay with it, i know we both can do this!
  • ssilva1977
    ssilva1977 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. So I started measuring everything that I ate. As soon as I started doing that I noticed a big change. Note, don't compare yourself to your husband. Men loose faster than woman. My husband has lost double of what I have lost within the same time. Keep it up. Your are doing great.:wink:
  • Jovette42
    Jovette42 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Never give up! Never surrender! You CAN do this!

Men are weird so no worries. :laugh: I've been making this lifestyle change for almost a decade. It's been a LONG road. That's why I call it The DOF (decade old fat) but I know my goal is right around the corner. I didn't do well with the writing down my cal intake and now that I'm at 75 days of MFP I'm actually seeing a change and YES it took that long. I ended 2011 around 165 or maybe more (had to buy a new scale :o lol) Now I'm at 152.8. It fluctuates BIG TIME. For the whole month or so I stayed at 155-156 and didn't move. :noway: So when I break the plateau I'll know and feel I am on the road to 122lbs and healthy again. Hang in there!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can most certainly do this.

in my own case, it took 5 months to lose the first five pounds. I added a new exercise regimen and the next 7 came off within weeks. Part of the issue, I think, was that when I began using MFP I was already exercising a good bit, and all I did was start recording diet and exercise. I twice reduced the number of post-exercise calories I allocated myself.

And if you have less to lose, it definitely comes off more slowly.
  • fdavisdarthard
    fdavisdarthard Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Shepock, when you start to exercise and eat healthier, its perfectly normal that your initial reaction is typically frustration, because it seems like your weight doesn't change that much at first. That's because muscle is simply a lot heavier than fat. So as you build a little bit of muscle mass and lose fat, you may not see a dramatic reduction in scale numbers right away, but you will see reductions in waist size and overall shape. After you make it through the initial transition into exercise, chances are that you'll continue to see more dramatic changes in your body composition, your metabolism, your weight, and your waist.

Another aspect of when you first start exercising, your body will respond with very outward. signs: You'll sweat and you may feel sore. Your body will also start responding on the inside, with changes in muscle size, blood flow, and blood chemistry. While exercise combined with a healthy diet, you will see and feel changes in your body shape even within a week. And with the combined workout and eating your specific exercise and eating plan, you may see a two-inch reduction in waist size within the first two weeks as your body composition changes. I work as a Fitness Program Coordinator at the YMCA in Houston. I have clients in the same situation. Don’t give up!!