Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and weight loss

Options
Is it possible with out taking prescribed medications?

If anyone has been here and have some suggestions or anything that could help me I woudl REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you.

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    There are some groups here on MFP that you might find to be great resources:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=pcos&order=0
  • Hols969
    Hols969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less than a non pcos lady as we, on average, will gain 2lb a month eating the RDA so it does make it tougher to lose weight and it isnt because you are lazy or eat too much, we store fat very efficiently (lucky us). Great PCOS charity called Verity. I lost 3 stone on the Vitaline diet but have put some back on which Im now trying to lose again (11lb) so am back on it and lots mentions this site so thought I would use it as well. With summer coming up, and bikini's waving at me ....
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 33 lbs drug free. You just have to put your mind to it and cut out the majority of the carbs you eat. If you do eat carbs, make them healthy ones.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to join the PCOS groups here. I would link to mine, except every time I try to link it, it doesn't work. It is PCOS Cysters Losing Together.

For me personally, I can't lose without metformin, but there are others on MFP who have lost without medication.
  • ting1789
    ting1789 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it worthwhile to keep taking the metformin just because increased insulin = me being hungry and miserable more vs just enough metformin = satiated. Now of course if you are on a high dose like me (1000mg 2x's day of extended release) and you drastically cut carbs cut the medicine back as well. Trying to get back on track after spending a couple days practically living in the restroom and trying to add in a few more carbs to stop it. Now I've decided my body can only handle half of my usual dose with 150 carbs and under a day.