Wheat/Gluten free foods

Options
I was given a recent diagnosis of wheat intolerance. I am fortunate to not have Celiac. My goal is to live a 100% gluten free diet. The problem is, I love muffins, breads, english muffins for breakfast. I have tried the Bob's Red Mill bread mixes and I do not like them. I did make up the Hodgson's Apple muffin mix this morning and it was okay, not great. Anyone try anything that was great and gluten-free in the bread line? Also, please let me know of any gluten free food that you like! I appreciate the help!

Replies

• msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Everything that I have tried from Udi's has been wonderful! Arrow Mills has pretty good cake mixes and the Tinkyada rice noodles are awesome.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    They do make flours out of other grains that you can use to make all your favorite baked goods out of. I have to give up yeast due to an allergy. I can't have bread anymore, and I loved it. No more pizza or stuffing either. I'm already really missing it, and I've only known about 6 weeks now. It's hard to totally overhaul your diet due to a food sensitivity, but sometimes we just have to give something up for our own good!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill is a garbanzo bean based flour but not all of them are formulated like that. There are tons of recipes online for making your own flour blends and recipes for gluten free versions of your favorite foods. I've heard great things about Mama's Gluten free flour blends but haven't tried them. She has one that's coconut flour based and another that is almond flour based. (www.glutenfreemama.com)

Yesterday I made a coffee cake from my regular recipe using sorghum flour instead of wheat flour. Turned out great and everyone loved it. Since it was coffee cake it didn't really matter if it was a bit crumbly but you could add a little xanthan gum to it if you wanted it less crumbly.

Here's a great site with information for you if you're just getting started: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm SUPER picky with what GF stuff I eat, so much of it has weird textures. I've found that all the Udi's brand products are awesome! I eat half an Udi's bagel for breakfast almost every day, they're really tasty. Their bread is great too, and they have these delicious blueberry muffins. As far as pasta, I haven't found one that I love, but generally speaking I find that the brown rice pasta is a little better than any of the ones made with potato (those seem to be really mushy).

Whole Foods also has their own line of GF bread that's pretty good, if there's a Whole Foods near you. Otherwise, I've been able to find Udi's at pretty much any specialty store and some nicer grocery stores.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I buy Udi's bagels and they are pretty decent. I buy Enjoy life cookies ( I have diary and soy intolerance as well) and they are really good, They are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and nut-free.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Gluten Free Gourmet has a wonderful set of cookbooks for desert, pastries, muffins, breads. The Betty Crocker Brands are very good tasting. And The Udi's are good too. My boys are both celiac, and we simply find it's easier to live w/o these things than to pay the prices or make our own
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    Hmm can you eat oats, barley? I have also a Wheat Intolerance but can still eat Rye, Barley and Oats (thankfully!) Depends where you are in the world though? Ive found making my own food is better. And there are some stores that sell muffins and what not that are free from! =) xx
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac's five years ago and I still can't find a bread I like. I just don't eat it. I'll wrap my sandwiches in lettuce, or turn things into a salad instead.

But Glutino's pretzels are AMAZING. I had to hide them in college because my roommates would steal them, they were so yummy. Enjoy Life cookies are really good if you're craving something sweet. And the best pasta I've tried is Trader Joe's corn pasta. Those are all rice free too, which is awesome (and so hard to find!) since I have a rice allergy as well.
  • hawaiiprinzezz
    hawaiiprinzezz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Udi's for bread. Tinkyada for pasta. I make my own cakes and cupcakes with the Betty Crocker Gluten Free mix but you have to add a box of Jello pudding to the mix to give it a more cake like texture.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like Udi's for bread. Glutino's pretzels are so good. Also, Blue Diamond rice and nut crackers. If you love pancakes, waffles, Bisquick makes a gluten free mix that is super good. You can use it for bread and pizza crust as well. If you like yogurt, (not all are gluten free) but I have found Stoneyfield Oikos greek yogurt is. Its very tasty. Vanilla and Superfruit are my favorite.

I was craving banana bread last night and found a recipe on-line and used rice flour. You can normally find really good recipes just by googling anything. I use lynnskitchenadventures.com a lot.

Good luck.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Check out you local health or whole foods store for grain like quinoa and amaranth. Package directions will tell you how to cook them. I use amaranth in my stuffed pepper recipe, and stuffed cabbage. People love it! Amaranth also contains a lot of protein. Using other grains gives you some variety in your diet. My daughter is gluten, soy, and dairy intolerant, so I had to make a lot of adjustments. She works in a gluten free bakery. They are popping up here and there, so use the internet to see if there is one close to you. Her shop makes cakes, cookies, pizza crusts, mixes, muffins, biscuits, and on and on. Also, celiac disease is common among Italians, and many Italian restaurants offer a gluten free pasta option, but you have to ask for it. Some show it on the menu, but you should call ahead and make sure they have it in stock the day you go. Also, polenta is great with pasta sauce, just make sure yours comes from a dedicated gluten free manufacturer.
    In our house, we are eating more vegetable based side dishes, and fewer breads and muffins. Flour based stuff is very caloric, even the gluten free flours. Also, GF stuff may have a lot of butter in it, to improve the flavor. Read the labels, so you don't but delicious 450 calorie muffins!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for wheat/gluten free baked oatmeal cups. They're DELICIOUS. Just make sure you buy the gluten free oatmeal!

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    bump
  • imaloser
    imaloser Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your fantastic suggestions and sharing. I look forward to trying them and looking up the sites suggested. Thank you!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm married to a wonderful man with Celiacs. He's VERY picky about the foods he likes. I also do food reviews about brands, foods, products, etc. that are gluten-free. Check out my blog: www.threelilsisters.wordpress.com for those reviews.

Also, message me, and I can give you my mother-in-law's AMAZING homemade rice bread recipe.

:) Hope that helps!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of gluten free recipes that I can share. There are lots of gluten free alternatives even for baking. Feel free to add me!
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    these macaroons (really more like cookies) are a bit fussy but amazingly delicious

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Macaroons-with-Chocolate-or-Caramel-Filling-105084
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    chex is gluten free! lol my sister has celiacs really bad (cross contamination sets her off it's so bad) and she told me she buys honey chex 3 boxes at a time. it's really good too. i know she makes a lot of stuff herself. if you have a pinterest, there's a TON of gluten free recipes that pop up. i tried a gluten free cracker over christmas break when i went back and it wasn't bad at all. I don't remember the brand though so I'll have to ask her and get back to you! I would say try to make some of your own because i know buying stuff can get really expensive. Someone else said that they wrap sandwiches in lettuce instead of bread which is what my sister does as well. good luck! I know it's really hard at first!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My Hubby has Celiac's, but it isn't as severe as some (ie he cheats and isn't doubled over in pain). I LOVE rice pasta! I haven't found a gluten free bread that I like.

I just recently bought "Think Thin Protein Bars" off of Amazon. They are gluten free and sugar free and the most delicious protein bar I've ever eaten! I had the White Chocolate and the Creamy Peanut Butter. The PB one was almost like the Reese's Fast Break bar. I'm trying the Crunchy Peanut Butter next!
  • HopeFaithLove71
    HopeFaithLove71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel "Food for Life", has a great line of breads, english muffins and tortillas. Amy's carries a gluten free line, including pizza.