I want to start lifting, but don't know where to start

Options
riouxha
riouxha Posts: 995 Member
So, here's my thing. I frequent the gym, and would love to try the free weights, but obviously, I'm scared to. The first reason being I have no idea where to start, and the second is I was in a car accident last year where I was rear-ended by a transport at a dead stop, and I have cervical and lumbar stability issues now and neck and shoulder pain. Im hoping lifting will actually decrease these issues in the long run but do not know where to begin and obviously do not want to risk further injurt. Ladies, (and gents!) help!

Replies

• Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would start with some 5 pound hand weights doing things like tricep extensions, curls, arm raises, things like that. You can get a bunch of great exercises on bodybuilding.com. To help your back gain some strength(once you have been thoroughly cleared by a doc) you can do core exercises. Building up the core will make you stronger in all aspects- try excercises like knee raises, planks, side planks.

Don't be afraid of a gym!!! or the people in it!!!! if you see someone in the gym that looks like you want to look, doing an exercise your not familiar with- engage them---people love educating others, especially when it comes to the gym!!!
  • Ghewlett
    Ghewlett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of a gym!!! or the people in it!!!! if you see someone in the gym that looks like you want to look, doing an exercise your not familiar with- engage them---people love educating others, especially when it comes to the gym!!!

What a great piece of advice! I have never really thought about it like that before but you're dead right!!
  • riouxha
    riouxha Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I'm heading to my universities gym today, I'll be sure to give those a try!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are 2 programs that are great for beginers. Stonglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. They are both fairly simple and user friendly. Stronglifts has a hndy iPhone app to keep track of your wokouts and walk you through them.