Strenght Training at Home???

Options
Hi All

Probably a silly question and I am expecting a 'you cant' answer but here goes:
I really need to do some strength training I do cardio 4-5 times a week which has been working well but I am very aware that I am doing no strength at all. The problem is I cant afford a gym membership so cant go and lift heavy weights and I dont have weights at home either and dont really want to purchase any, is there any type of strength training I can do at home? My stomach is my main problem area so particularly any training that concerntrates on the belly area!!

Thanks alot :)
JUST READ THIS BACK SORRY FOR THE TYPO IN THE TITLE!!

Replies

• BriskaPacojame
    Options
    bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You can do body weight training at home. Plus cans and water bottles can make great weights.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No clue, but I can tell you I am in the same boat, so will be watching this thread...
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    YES there is.
    I do the workouts on www.bodyrock.tv It is almost all body weight. And any of what they do can be modified to beginners. If you are doing a full body workout your core will strengthen as well. Message me if you need more info.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Check out this book called You Are Your Own Gym. It's all about strength training with body weight exercises. Pretty much all of the exercises work your core muscles (abs and back). My wife and I just finished week 1 of the beginner program and we're both very, very sore all over. But we also feel stronger after just a week.

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332778217&sr=8-1
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do pushups and crunches and I have a set of resistance bands that I use.
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I started with the 30 days shred video by Jillian Michaels but really that doesn't get you too far. Are there any planet fitness or chuze gyms around you? They are only $10 a month, I bet you could even pull together enough change to pay for that. Now I am following the new rules of lifting which a book that was about $12 on amazon. I'm a student so I don't have a lot of money either but doing strength training has been totally worth the money.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Google body weight exercises. Also check out Marksdailyapple.com and do a search there. there are tons of things you can do to develop your strength. Pushups, pullups, crunches, planks, burpees, squats and much much more.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You could always start with pushups, tricep dips and plank/spiderman plank.

No weights required, and it's a tough workout
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    You can always do body weight exercises such as push ups, dips, squats, pike press...there are a bunch of different things you can do to get your muscles burning. As far as your stomach it's all about your diet! Get your diet tight to get a tight tummy!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you can look up body weight exercises and find how to use proper form by searching youtube videos.

even if you bought (1) good pair of hand weights that would benefit you for light resistance training, 5-10pounds

push-ups, sprawls (those are good for abs, love those), mountain climbers, etc
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises! Like mentioned before, cans or water bottles or anything that's a few lbs (about 5 or so). Here are a few links for body weight exercises:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/ultimate-home-workout
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/rockettes-long-lean-legs-workout
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/top-10-moves-thinner-thighs?page=6
    http://www.prevention.com/print/26102

OH and I really like doing this for a quick workout of strength & cardio:
    118219558938443858_Js9JSFPS_f.jpg
  • jessivette31
    jessivette31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is!! Righ now, i am doing one called Les Mills Pump and it is the best thing ever.. WELL AFTER INSANITY lol you can send me a message if you have any questions... So proud of you~
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Google bodyweight workouts - there are dozens out there! If you don't want to buy weights, consider resistance bands. You can get then from Amazon in a variety of strengths, they take up no room and are dead cheap.

You can't spot-reduce your tummy, but weight loss combined with resistance training will speed things up. Rather than concentrating on crunches and the like, focus on full-core exercises like planks and side-planks.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5 days a week. 3 days a week I use the 200 squats, 200 situps,100 pushups apps for my iPod touch. The apps are available for all iPad, iPhone, Android or use the website.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Do you by any chance have a Netflix subscription? You can find Pilates and Yoga videos - lots of core work, very little to no weights. You can use canned food and such if you do need some light weights for your workout.
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thank you all so much - how naive thinking that i needed weights to do strength training!! I will be checking out all your reccomendations!!

Thanks again :)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home, using my furniture and body weight. I installed a pull-ups bar, and bought trestles for elevated push-ups and dips.
    Here is a typical session :
    Dips
    Push-ups : feet on floor, hands on low-table
    Push-ups2 : feet on trestles, hands on floor
    Pull-ups
    Jumps
    Quadriceps workouts
    Abs
    Triceps against wall kitchen

Imagination ftw
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I do all my weight training at home. I started with one or two sets of dumbbells and for Christmas my wonderful hubby got me an olympic weight bench which I use. I also recently got the SelectTech dumbbells from Bowflex. I mostly use Cathe Friedrich videos which are excellent and in my opinion, more challenging than any of the Beach Body/Jillian/etc. Her website is www.cathe.com My advice to you would be to buy what you can, as heavy as you can, even if its just one set of dumbbells. You can also do quite a bit with body weight exercises.