Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• allglorytohim
    allglorytohim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, my eyes are opened! Thank you for explaining!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this topic in terms anyone can understand. :smile:
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The best explanation I've heard yet...Thanks :)

^^^^ Exactly this! :) ^^^^
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • healthier_shana
    healthier_shana Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is really helpful, I never understood if you were supposed to eat back your exercise calories or not. Thank you!
  • techvixen
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • shell3986
    shell3986 Posts: 98
    Options
    Awesome explanation! bumping!
  • arobinson2390
    Options
    bump
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    BrownEyedJerseyGirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BUmp
  • abcerc
    abcerc Posts: 58
    Options
    bump
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    subscribe
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    lots of "myths" floating around in this thread...

if you want to know what's what go to alan aragorns page and he'll set you straight...

at the end of the day calories out > calories in you will lose weight...

having said that, everyone on a weight loss plan should also be involved in a weight resistance traning program which totally bunks the whole "OMG i'm burning all my muscle and no fat" myth... and you should be making sure you are getting ample protien in your diet from multiple sources...

I am not sure what 'myths' you are referring to. I have not seen anyone say you will burn all muscle and no fat.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I haven't waded through all 15 pages of responses yet, so I apologize if this has already been asked.

I usually exercise at night, typically before dinner. If I know that I am going to go for a run that will burn 800 calories that evening, should I try and "pre-eat" the extra calories earlier in the day? I obviously don't want to try and cram in a 1200 calorie dinner right before bed. Or should I just try and make them up the next day? Does it make a difference if you eat the extra calories before or after the exercise?
  • SteveZT
    SteveZT Posts: 16
    Options

if you want to know what's what go to alan aragorns page and he'll set you straight...

having said that, everyone on a weight loss plan should also be involved in a weight resistance traning program which totally bunks the whole "OMG i'm burning all my muscle and no fat" myth... and you should be making sure you are getting ample protien in your diet from multiple sources...

dude, I like your thinking and I personally think that "eating back your exercise calories" is wrong, but I still do not understand if it is true or not that your body burns/eats muscles FIRST and then the fat , as the other people are saying?

So according to this logic, all those biggest loser people are coming back home without any muscles on them, still loaded to the rim with all those glorious fats ?

They are on recommended 1000 to 1750 cal diets in there

Further to that, their hearts must surely be damaged beyond control?

And one more thing, regarding healthy , fit people versus obese , fat people,
    there must be different rules for different bodies?

Im obese (used to be :tongue: ) , and I have around 50 more lb to lose,
    surely, my metabolism and daily activities will not bypass all the lovely fat that I have and go directly for my calf muscles, or my heart or my biceps to feed itself?

I know Im being a bit cheeky here, but can anyone explain this?
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    What an excellent way to explain! Thank you so much for such a clear example. :~) I admit, I lost about 20 lbs through low-fat and about 1300-1400 calories daily, plus working out nearly an hour (25 min circuit-style strength training, 25 min cardio, plus daily walks) 4-5 days a week. But I hit a plateau, and have been there for about 6 months. Then friends suggested I try MFP, because they are doing it.

Here's my confusion with doing the 'upping' of my calories:

I went to the Fat2Fit site to work out my BMR, and depending which formula I used for calculating body fat percentage, my BMR is anywhere between 1340 and 1480, roughly. But MFP decided my goal calories daily should be 1200, and that was to drop less than a pound a week. I had not been eating back much of my workout calories (400-600 calories 4-5 days a week), but after reading the original post, I started to do so (mostly) this evening.

With the significant enough difference between what MFP and the calculations say, which should I attempt as my net goal? Should I eat at a maintenance level for the amount of exercise I do now, or try to meet just above my BMR? Or should I follow MFP and continue to try to always net that bare minimum of 1200?
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Bump - great discussion
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP ....Want to read this, thanks for posting
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

dude, I like your thinking and I personally think that "eating back your exercise calories" is wrong, but I still do not understand if it is true or not that your body burns/eats muscles FIRST and then the fat , as the other people are saying?

So according to this logic, all those biggest loser people are coming back home without any muscles on them, still loaded to the rim with all those glorious fats ?

They are on recommended 1000 to 1750 cal diets in there

Further to that, their hearts must surely be damaged beyond control?

And one more thing, regarding healthy , fit people versus obese , fat people,
    there must be different rules for different bodies?

Im obese (used to be :tongue: ) , and I have around 50 more lb to lose,
    surely, my metabolism and daily activities will not bypass all the lovely fat that I have and go directly for my calf muscles, or my heart or my biceps to feed itself?

I know Im being a bit cheeky here, but can anyone explain this?

If you already have a deficit biut into your target how can eating back your calories be wrong? You are just making sure that you do not create too large a deficit. I have not re-read the thread, but cannot recall someone making a sweeping statement that muscle is burnt before fat. The issue is, creating a very large deficit regularly, makes it more likely for the weight loss to be higher % of muscle than it would be if you have a smaller deficit. Morbidly obese people do not have the issue that other folks do as there is enough fat stores not to have to dip into the muscle at all - actually, its the ideal time to try to build muscle.

I think this was already explained.