Stay at home mom - protein help!

Options
Im a SAHM to 4 kids. Needless to say, I dont have a lot of extra time to prepare meals for myself. Im wanting to up my protein, and would like some realistic options. Most of my day is low calorie, although mostly carbs. :( Its just easier to pour a bowl of cereal rather than making eggs, etc.

What do other SAHMs eat when they just dont want to prepare food for themselves? Ideas would be appreiciated. Thanks!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I cook meat in larger batches.....I'll grill 3 or 4 chicken breasts at a time and eat one and then refrigerate the others and then toss them in salads or wraps or sauces for the next couple of days. Same with steak.

I know its a little controversial because of the mercury, but I also keep several cans of tuna on hand. I have tuna once or twice a week. Same thing....make about two cans into tuna salad and then it's ready to go.

Another thing I do is make smoothies with protein powder or, in a pinch, get a couple of the Odwalla protein smoothies.

If I'm out running around and really desperate, I'll eat a protein bar in place of a snack.
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt has twice the protein of an egg. Also for a quick meal full of protein I do a tortilla with non-fat re fried beans and shredded cheese. Toss it in the microwave long enough to warm it up.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts and nut butters and yogurt . I'm also trying to have more meat whether it is left overs or sliced meat from the deli counter. my cereal is also pretty high in protein.

Im at the lower end of my protein goal. I'm not sure what else to do because I don't want meat every meal and I don't find shakes and bars provide me the full feeling.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and I don't cook very much. I like to keep frozen 'grilled and ready' chicken around, and I also love frozen salmon that I can just throw in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Quick and easy protein. I can add either of these to a salad or microwave some 'steam in bag' vegetables to go with it. Yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, and protein shakes are great too.

Also, you can totally prepare eggs in the microwave. Or eggbeaters if you like them and want a lower-calorie option.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i have recently become a fan of the Atkins shakes - just crab and go and they have several flavors and are pretty good - just added one to my lunch today, 12g :smile:
  • jetsmomma09
    Options
    I make 4 egg whites in the microwave...my best friend cringes at the thought of it but they taste just fine and it's quick! For lunch I usually do what the others have mentioned, grill or bake several chicken breasts and have them on hand when I need them. I recently found the Voskos Greek Yogurt with granola and they're amazingly tasty and have 11g of protein. I try to keep almonds on hand for a nice snack that keeps me full and add some more protein.
    I love hearing what everyone else eats! I'm always looking for new and quick ideas!!