people who have had success by upping their calories!

Options

Replies

• kayglo
    kayglo Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you so much :)

I've adjusted my counter as suggested (to very active 1lb loss a week) and will see what happens :) I've never actually 'dieted' before so I'd rather get it right the first time and not yo yo over the years to come.

(Recap: I eat 2000 a day and do my exercise as normal to get to my BMR of 1600 and that should still facilitate my weight loss?)

Thanks again ^_^

Correct, whatever the daily net goal was is your daily eating goal, exercise that day or not.

Now, if you change your routine in a big way permanently, such that one of the other activity levels is more correct now, than time to recalc.

And just one more little question (:P), should I log my exercise in the diary? Or leave it out as I've included it in my "very active" selection?

Also, even if I'm not losing weight, I'll still be getting smaller and more toned with the amount of exercise and weight lifting I do right?

I've used a lot of my brain on University work today and as such I cannot think -_-
  • kayglo
    Options
    i dont understand this. Why does consuming more calories make you loose weight faster? x

If you lose weight too quickly, you'll lose as much lean body mass as you do fat. Losing a bit more slowly, but maintaining muscle and metabolism is the big picture. It's the difference between caring what the scale says, and caring what the mirror says (plus it's much healthier and easier to maintain long term.)

So we will still be getting 'smaller' as in toned but the scales won't show the work? I bought scales just as a concrete measurement, I'm much more concerned with how I look in the mirror (which might make me sound a bit vain but hey!) :D
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    i dont understand this. Why does consuming more calories make you loose weight faster? x

If you lose weight too quickly, you'll lose as much lean body mass as you do fat. Losing a bit more slowly, but maintaining muscle and metabolism is the big picture. It's the difference between caring what the scale says, and caring what the mirror says (plus it's much healthier and easier to maintain long term.)

So we will still be getting 'smaller' as in toned but the scales won't show the work? I bought scales just as a concrete measurement, I'm much more concerned with how I look in the mirror (which might make me sound a bit vain but hey!) :D

Depending on your current status, you will most likely lose fat and gain muscle and look smaller. If you have little fat left to lose, you may not notice much on the scale. Otherwise you should lose weight at a heatlhy rate :)
  • kidrobot3
    kidrobot3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ::bump:: for later...
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Bump
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    what a great read this has been. I have only been using MFP for about 3 weeks, and have now upped my calorie intake from 1200.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So that link is telling me to eat 2400 on workout days. Not happening! Can't do it.

Hopefully you're still following this thread and see my reply, but I've been eating close to 2400 calories/day (including exercise, ~300/day), and I'm FINALLY losing weight again after a 6-month stall. (I checked out your profile and see that we're the same height. I have a desk job too, so I'm not very active aside from my daily 30- to 45-minute moderate workout.)

If you decide to increase, please give it time to work. I gained 2 pounds the first day I increased but have been pretty steadily losing since. Whenever I think I need to lose faster and don't eat enough, I gain. Sounds strange, but it's been my experience and the experience of a lot of people on MFP. Check out the groups for people that eat more for examples of success eating more!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I would suggest that you take measurements - you will often see results better than way
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    And just one more little question (:P), should I log my exercise in the diary? Or leave it out as I've included it in my "very active" selection?

Also, even if I'm not losing weight, I'll still be getting smaller and more toned with the amount of exercise and weight lifting I do right?

As far as calories to eat goes, you included that workout already.

As far as tracking for sake of stats and curiosity, sure you can log it.
    Just keep in mind your true daily eat - MFP will show you with credit calories because of working out. So long as you leave in the green what MFP says in footnote you earned as credit for exercise, that's good.
    If you just want to see the workouts in general but have no decent calorie estimates anyway, you can log them as 1 calorie.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Now I am wondering if I have upped my calories enough. I am set to sedentary, of course MFP gives me 1200 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week which I am not doing. I upped it to 1400 calories and have been eating back my calories frequently. I feel like I am starving all the time, but I am not losing.. I am bouncing between 219 and 225 lbs. I am a 55 year old Female, 5' 11" tall. Currently (this morning) I am at 222.2 lbs. I went to Fat2fit and saw that they say my body fat percentage is 42.2%, my BMR is 1627. I copied and pasted below their dietary recommendations and am wanting some feedback from you on this!

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1711
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1961
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2210
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2460
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2709

Which should I select? Does this sound right to you? Sorry to be such a PITA but it is so important to me to be successful!!

Depends on what method you want to use? Manually set once and forget it, or set MFP to change automatically and feed workouts? Oh, I think Moderately Active - you walk 3-5 days you said. And that is excellent workout.

If you want to eat back all your exercise calories, and for that serious walking you are getting pretty decent estimates, and you want MFP to set goal calories that lower as you lower weight, then do the following.
    Settings - Diet/Fitness Profile
    Change Activity Level to Sedentary.
    Change Loss Goal to 1 lb weekly.
    Your goal should be set to 1624. Right at BMR estimate.
    Now log your workouts and calories, and eat them back on the day they apply.

When you get within 20lb of goal weight, you'll need to change to 1/2 lb weekly loss goal.

If you want to manually set it and forget it, and don't worry about exercise calorie eat-back, then do the following.
    Change Activity Level to Very Active. (trust me on this, difference in calculations between MFP and other site)
    Change Loss Goal to Maintain. (trust me on this, you are manually setting your goal)
    Now go to Goals - Change - Custom.
    Your Net daily goal should be set to 2633, change it to 2210.
    Change your Macros as desired.
    Change your workout goals as desired, if you want to visually see on Exercise logs how you are doing for your goal. Change calories to 0.

You just created cal deficit to your better estimated TDEE. Now when you finish your Food diary daily, you'll receive encouragement "in 5 weeks you'll weigh..."
    And as you get closer to goal weight, the amount of deficit automatically is less, without changing anything.

Do NOT eat back your exercise calories in this case. If you want to log the workout for records, use 1 calorie. Or just remember what your daily number is, and record the calories if desired. Just remember your Daily number in green should match the footnote that says so many credit calories for workout.

So the difference there is, the manual method daily eat is always the same no matter exercise or not, and that will be less calories than the auto-method where you eat more because of the exercise on just those days. Your NET on a weekly basis ends up being the same.
    On a weekly basis though, it would all be the same.

And you learn to eat according to your workouts. Miss a workout, skip 2 snacks that day. Add a workout, add a snack. Big dinner Sat night, leave 200 in green on Fri and Sun, eat smaller meals rest of Sat, enjoy dinner out. Workout that day.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Now I am wondering if I have upped my calories enough. I am set to sedentary, of course MFP gives me 1200 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week which I am not doing. I upped it to 1400 calories and have been eating back my calories frequently. I feel like I am starving all the time, but I am not losing.. I am bouncing between 219 and 225 lbs. I am a 55 year old Female, 5' 11" tall. Currently (this morning) I am at 222.2 lbs. I went to Fat2fit and saw that they say my body fat percentage is 42.2%, my BMR is 1627. I copied and pasted below their dietary recommendations and am wanting some feedback from you on this!

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1711
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1961
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2210
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2460
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2709

Which should I select? Does this sound right to you? Sorry to be such a PITA but it is so important to me to be successful!!

Depends on what method you want to use? Manually set once and forget it, or set MFP to change automatically and feed workouts? Oh, I think Moderately Active - you walk 3-5 days you said. And that is excellent workout.

If you want to eat back all your exercise calories, and for that serious walking you are getting pretty decent estimates, and you want MFP to set goal calories that lower as you lower weight, then do the following.
    Change Activity Level to Sedentary.
    Change Loss Goal to 1 lb weekly.
    Your goal should be set to 1624. Right at BMR estimate.
    Now log your workouts and calories, and eat them back on the day they apply.

When you get within 20lb of goal weight, you'll need to change to 1/2 lb weekly loss goal.

If you want to manually set it and forget it, and don't worry about exercise calorie eat-back, then do the following.
    Change Activity Level to Very Active. (trust me on this, difference in calculations between MFP and other site)
    Change Loss Goal to Maintain. (trust me on this, you are manually setting your goal)
    Now go to Goals - Change - Custom.
    Your Net daily goal should be set to 2633, change it to 2210.
    Change your Macros as desired.
    Change your workout goals as desired, if you want to visually see on Exercise logs how you are doing for your goal. Change calories to 0.

You just created cal deficit to your better estimated TDEE. Now when you finish your Food diary daily, you'll receive encouragement "in 5 weeks you'll weigh..."
    And as you get closer to goal weight, the amount of deficit automatically is less, without changing anything.

Do NOT eat back your exercise calories in this case. If you want to log the workout for records, use 1 calorie. Or just remember what your daily number is, and record the calories if desired. Just remember your Daily number in green should match the footnote that says so many credit calories for workout.

So the difference there is, the manual method daily eat is always the same no matter exercise or not, and that will be less calories than the auto-method where you eat more because of the exercise on just those days. Your NET on a weekly basis ends up being the same.
    On a weekly basis though, it would all be the same.

And you learn to eat according to your workouts. Miss a workout, skip 2 snacks that day. Add a workout, add a snack. Big dinner Sat night, leave 200 in green on Fri and Sun, eat smaller meals rest of Sat, enjoy dinner out. Workout that day.
    Thank you so very much! I so appreciate this help! I think I will do the manual method. It just sounds like the way to go! Thank you so very much!
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have been fascinated reading this thread, but am still a little confused. I am 5ft 3 and weigh 150lbs my goal is 120lbs. not only do I want to lose weight (the healthy safe way) but I want to tone up my wobbly bits and be able to see some muscle definition (but NOT be muscly/bulky I want a soft yet defined body) I currently do at least 30 minutes a day of 30DS (on day 6 of level one) plus at least 2 times a week I will do Zumba for between 20 - 45 minutes plus most evenings I do some work on my arms with weights (only 2.5lbs weights) plus ab work. I have been fighting with the same 2-3lbs for the past few months now, so need a kick start, and thought this may help IF I know what to do properly.

MFP puts me at 1200 a day, but when I work out my BMR is states 1360. I have also worked out my TDEE I was not sure what activness to put as Mon - Fri I am sitting at a desk all day, so I worked it out for little or no exercise and that was 1743 (*0.8) 1394, light exercise was 1990 (*0.8) 1592 and moderate was 2243 (*0.8) 1794.

In all of your opinions what would you recommend I do? Apologies if this is a repeat of what somebody else has asked, I am pretty new here and getting slightly confused lol Jen x

You are not at Sedentary level with that much exercise. Definitely Moderate level. Could round down to nearest hundred.

What site did you use for TDEE estimate, because those values don't work out?
    For instance, Moderate is BMR * 1.55, which ends up 2108 * 0.8 = 1686 (or round to 2100 * 0.8 = 1680).

Then you would eat to that every day, workout or not. You would NOT eat back exercise calories since already in there. And if you spot checked calories burned with HRM, would likely be at or slightly under BMR for those days. Rest days allows recovery.

And since you have been so underfeeding your system for that workout level - you will see great body improvements first, weight loss will come later until body catches up with what you are asking it to do.

I think it was fitness frog?! But my BMR I also got on here?!
  • clarkane8
    clarkane8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have been fascinated reading this thread, but am still a little confused. I am 5ft 3 and weigh 150lbs my goal is 120lbs. not only do I want to lose weight (the healthy safe way) but I want to tone up my wobbly bits and be able to see some muscle definition (but NOT be muscly/bulky I want a soft yet defined body) I currently do at least 30 minutes a day of 30DS (on day 6 of level one) plus at least 2 times a week I will do Zumba for between 20 - 45 minutes plus most evenings I do some work on my arms with weights (only 2.5lbs weights) plus ab work. I have been fighting with the same 2-3lbs for the past few months now, so need a kick start, and thought this may help IF I know what to do properly.

MFP puts me at 1200 a day, but when I work out my BMR is states 1360. I have also worked out my TDEE I was not sure what activness to put as Mon - Fri I am sitting at a desk all day, so I worked it out for little or no exercise and that was 1743 (*0.8) 1394, light exercise was 1990 (*0.8) 1592 and moderate was 2243 (*0.8) 1794.

In all of your opinions what would you recommend I do? Apologies if this is a repeat of what somebody else has asked, I am pretty new here and getting slightly confused lol Jen x

You are not at Sedentary level with that much exercise. Definitely Moderate level. Could round down to nearest hundred.

What site did you use for TDEE estimate, because those values don't work out?
    For instance, Moderate is BMR * 1.55, which ends up 2108 * 0.8 = 1686 (or round to 2100 * 0.8 = 1680).

Then you would eat to that every day, workout or not. You would NOT eat back exercise calories since already in there. And if you spot checked calories burned with HRM, would likely be at or slightly under BMR for those days. Rest days allows recovery.

And since you have been so underfeeding your system for that workout level - you will see great body improvements first, weight loss will come later until body catches up with what you are asking it to do.

I think it was fitness frog?! But my BMR I also got on here?!

You may want to go to this link and ask Helloitsdan to run your numbers - should help with the confusion.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?

You just need to give the stats data asked for in the first post in the thread.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Success story here. Upped my daily calorie goal to 1588 a few weeks ago. On workout days, I eat as much as 2100 calories. I reached my goal weight on Feb 22 but I am still losing weight. This morning's weigh-in showed I lost 2 lbs for the week.

I work out 4-5 times a week for 1.5 to 2 hours each time. It's a mix of strength training and cardio. I have also been eating more protein and fewer carbs.
  • zia130
    zia130 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kayglo
    Options

Depending on your current status, you will most likely lose fat and gain muscle and look smaller. If you have little fat left to lose, you may not notice much on the scale. Otherwise you should lose weight at a heatlhy rate :)

I have plenty of fat left to lose :P Thanks for the reply :)
  • kayglo
    Options

I would suggest that you take measurements - you will often see results better than way

Yeah, I measure myself weekly as well as the using scales. I only recent bought the scales just as an extra measurement, trying to not become obsessed with weighing myself! Thanks :)