Women who only lift weights

Options
What do you think? Any experience or suggestions?

I am every day leaning more and more towards this. I have lost 20 pounds by eating little and moving more like everyone. I strength train 3x a week, but not like i would like to! So.. I'm too the point where I am happy the way I look and feel..in clothes. Other than that, i'm just a smaller me. Still soft and flabby. I am into old school weights and only compounds. Deadlift, squats, rows, presses... things like that. i'm seriously considering ONLY doing Stronglifts 5x5.
Oh and I have about 10 more pounds to lose as a goal (healthy BMI) BUT I threw my scale away this weekend so that's a very minor detail :)

Opinions?

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I only do weights and I've had great results. You can check out my pics for a progress pic. :)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I only do weights and I've had great results. You can check out my pics for a progress pic. :)

Are you following a program? How often do you lift and how long have you been doing this?

I just recently started lifting and I'm following the Jamie Eason 30 Day program. I'm on my 4th wk. I hardly do any cardio anymore unless its walking or jogging on my lunch hour or at night.
  • aj_31
    Options

I just looked at your pics and your progress is amazing. How much did you weigh when you started?
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just started doing weights in Feb, and I am having so much fun! I see/feel results much faster, and it doesn't feel like I am struggling like I was when just dieting or doing only cardio. I say keep it up! :bigsmile:
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

awesome progress.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I only do weights, and am happy with my progress :)

I train 4x a week, upper/lower split. Heavy compounds lifts, with other isolation ones mixed it too.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I'm doing cardio right now is because I want to run a 5k this May. Otherwise I'd be doing lifting, and enough cardio to help boost my cariovascular health.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do mainly weights.. with a cardio day or two thrown in.

I lift 2-3X a week(twice on my own and once with a trainer) and in the past year, I've gone from a 10 to a 4.. Got a flat stomach, solid legs and arms.. It really does help!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's certain possible to lose weight with weights and no cardio. However, I don't think all women could do this, because women on the smaller side need the extra calorie burn to maintain a deficit. Calories can only be dropped so far before adequate micronutrients becomes an issue.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I do full body compound lifts 3x/wk. I started lifting in September but I spun my wheels with too many isolations for the first couple months. I dropped all cardio in November. My avi is from end of Jan to mid March. I realized I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could in the gym and my lifts went up a lot in that time frame. I only lost about 2 lbs between the before and after also. I don't vilify cardio but I don't enjoy it. I love lifting though!
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    I do full body compound lifts 3x/wk. I started lifting in September but I spun my wheels with too many isolations for the first couple months. I dropped all cardio in November. My avi is from end of Jan to mid March. I realized I wasn't pushing myself as hard as I could in the gym and my lifts went up a lot in that time frame. I only lost about 2 lbs between the before and after also. I don't vilify cardio but I don't enjoy it. I love lifting though!

6 weeks? That is an amazing change in your body! I'm looking more for something like that than losing weight really. What are you doing? And do you still eat at a deficit or did you up your calories?
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I've been lifting for 1 month and have lost 6lbs! I lift 3 times a week and I do cardio 1-2 times a week purely for cv health, it is beneficial and recommended for everyone regardless of weight. I love lifting and already see a great difference in my body!
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I just looked at your pics and your progress is amazing. How much did you weigh when you started?

I was about 133 lbs and ~23% body fat at 5'4" when I started in September and now I'm about 129 lbs and ~16-17% body fat.

You can check out my blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cyncetastic) for more info on my routine if you're interested :)
  • aj_31
    Options

I was about 133 lbs and ~23% body fat at 5'4" when I started in September and now I'm about 129 lbs and ~16-17% body fat.

You can check out my blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cyncetastic) for more info on my routine if you're interested :)

Great, thank you! I can't wait to read up on what you've done.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

I LOVE that you posted this, because some women would look at numbers like this and be depressed that they "only" lost 4 pounds. Nice work! Throw out the scales ladies, body fat is where it's at!
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    bump
  • nutandbutter
    Options

6 weeks? That is an amazing change in your body! I'm looking more for something like that than losing weight really. What are you doing? And do you still eat at a deficit or did you up your calories?

I'm in a healthy weight range (5'4" 133) so I eat 200-300 below my maintenance. I still have fat to lose.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    This is the way I'm going too. I love lifting and lifting heavy- I do cardio for general health and sometimes it'll sneak in there for fun (playing soccer in the park etc).

I lift two to three days a week- one upper, one lower and one general fun where I simply enjoy movement with a kettle bell (lightweight) and some stretching.

Lost ten pounds so far but most of that was water weight. I'm MUCH more proud of my 19 inches lost and that I'm upping my weight consistently. I'm seriously looking into powerlifting now too- it looks like so much fun and I love the competition.

Feel like one of the few women on MFP who are eating 2500 cals a day tho- and I'm still not hitting my maintenance cals. I'm built big though so I doubt my cals will change all that much as I go along.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Seriously, READ THIS:

The New Rules of Lifting for Women...

http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women (quickie overview)

buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332799801&sr=1-2 BEST $12.24 you can spend..

They actually believe that unless you do it correctly, cardio isn't going to help you get where you want.