Runners with small children

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I am attempting to do the couch to 5k program but I'm finding it really difficult to do because of my 4 year old son. I don't get many opportunities away from him so sometimes I try to bring him with me on his bike but he usually wont cooperate... I don't think he likes riding his bike that much.

So I'm just curious what you all do with your young children when you run? Do you have a running stroller? I think my son might be too old for one of those...

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have a double BOB. It's like pushing a blocking sled while running, but it gets the job done. You also feel a ton faster when not running with it.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to get up early to run (like 4 am early). There is one gym here that has a mom's room with treadmills in the play room, and the Y offers two hours of child care with a family membership.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I run a home daycare, so I know all about scheduling exercising time with kids! lol I started running in the evenings (after dinner) when it wasn't so hot out. I will also run on the treadmill at naptime. I bought a BOB Revloution SE stroller. Well worth the money, trust me!! It has been my lifesaver. it's very lightweight, easy to push, turn on a dime, and fits larger children as well. I also have those plastic gates (Superyard XL) from Wal Mart. You could put him in there and exercise while he colors or something. Good luck!!
  • hesn92
    Options
    How old are your kids that go in the running stroller?? Is 4 too old for that?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5AM, out the door at 5:30 and back by 6:30 before anyone else gets up. It's the only way I could stick to a regular training schedule.
  • FrecklesMo
    FrecklesMo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with a 6 and 4 year old,...so in other words i wouldnt necessisarily be able to wake up early in the a.m lol.....I go to the local middle school by house and run on the track there,...the boys take a ball and play for about 30 minutes.......hope that helps :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I also run at night on my treadmill after the kids (ages 7,5,3,1) go to bed. I get outdoors for a longer run on the weekends when hubby is home. I do sometimes run while the baby is napping, the oldest is at school and the other 2 are being watched by the electronic babysitter - although, this is pretty rare. I do sneak in a 1/2 hour Jillian Michael's DVD in the morning and the kids just play around me or jump on my while I'm on the floor. My plans for the summer are to hire a teenager to watch the kids so I can run/workout.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a BOB stroller. My son is now almost 2. The thing is awesome. It adds resistance, so I get double the workout.

Not sure if he will still do it at 4. I see kids at the park were they ride bikes wile the parents run.
  • aunfire82
    aunfire82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old and she rides in the jogging stroller. She LOVES to "run" with mommy, so I am hoping that by doing this now will instill in her good health habits. Plus also, on race days you feel alot "lighter" as you aren't pushing the jogging stroller anymore. :-)
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Single-child BOB strollers have a weight limit of 70 lbs/32 kg.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I run into the same issue. No pun intended. LOL. I have a 5yr old who can't exactly keep up and I don't want to send him to daycare either. So, I use my elliptical and will try to start my new running program on days that my husband is off. Getting up early is hard because I do work nights. So, its either get up earlier in the day to squeeze in my workout or do it as soon as I get home from work.
  • TMusumeche
    TMusumeche Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5k program. I have a 3 year old and 3 month old. I try to go as soon as I get home and the hubby takes over. It's only 30min. So by the time I get home at 5:20 and get changed. I'm on the street for 5:30 and done by 6:00.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I run super-early in the morning, but I love the idea above of letting my kids play in the middle of a track while I run around it. My daughter is still a little too young for even that level of supervision, but in a couple of years, maybe I'll try that.

As it is, though, whenever I'm not at work or taking care of the kids, I'm pretty much always running. And that's only 30-60 minutes a day. I just don't do anything else!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think 4 would be too old for the jogging stroller... I am divorced and have a 6 and 8 year old, and they are JUST now getting to the point where they can take a scooter or a bike and go with me while I walk. I had to do the elliptical or the treadmill at the house to ensure I got in a good workout on the days that the boys are not at their dad's.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I get treadmill and proper outdoor running time when the hubby is around. When it's TheBoy and I (who's going to be 6 soon), we do (and have done for a couple of years now) what I call wacky races around the neighbourhood. We jog, walk, hop, skip, jump, and run at full tilt (something kids seem to take real pleasure in) for 20-30 minutes. When I'm in charge of both TheLittleLady and TheBoy and want a walk/run, it's TheLittleLady in her buggy (she's almost 3) and TheBoy walking/running alongside or riding his scooter. We also just run in circles inside the house on miserable, wet, dark days (of which there are many here in Scotland). I've measured and 100 laps of our downstairs is about 1 mile. When you've got little ones, flexibility is key, and a bit of fun hopefully gets them on the path to a lifetime of fitness as well!
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just ran this morning with my 5 yr old son in the jogging stroller. I gave him a gameboy and some fruit snacks and just bundled him up and he was fine for over an hour.
  • hesn92
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'm just going to try and wake up early to go. Which is sad because I'm NOT a morning person lol.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and try to workout out nights (after bed time) or mornings (before my my one year old wakes up). I work full time & have an hour commute and sometimes find it hard to make time. My workout routine changes day to day depend on my schedule & my sons demands.

On nice nights or weekends, I take my son out in a jogging stroller or wagon.

If I am doing a workout video or some strength training ~ I will do them in the same room with my son. He plays with his toys & watches me workout. Sounds weird but, he actually likes it. Sometimes when I do yoga he will join me on my mat and try to copy me. It's a nice way to show them that exercise can be fun & should be part of your daily activities.

Good luck :smile:
  • Annieminnesota
    Annieminnesota Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yup, running stroller or my gym has free childcare for a 2 hour maximum.
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    If your 4 yo isn't too big now, s/he soon will be. I end up running after the kids go to bed, or while my husband gets them ready for bed. I'm NOT a morning person, and although I'm tired as anything by then, I force myself out the door. I wear reflectors for safety - very important. As it stays light later, it gets easier and I see more people out and about in my neighborhood.