seeking shrimp ideas

Options
acook059
acook059 Posts: 15 Member
wondering if anyone has any great ideas or simple meals with shrimp? do you buy it cooked or uncooked? I tried Gorton's shrimp scampi and it was just OK flavor -but was only 120 calories for 6!!!

Replies

• jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I tried this recipe from Sunset Magazine a few nights ago. It was delicious!

Spicy Mango Shrimp
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I omitted the oil and used Pam with a little bit of water)
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon red chile flakes
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    About 12 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp (30 to 35 per lb.)
    2 cups cubed fresh or frozen mango (preferably unripe)
    1/4 cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut
    Preparation
    Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté onion in oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chile flakes, basil, soy sauce, lime juice, and shrimp; cook, stirring often, until shrimp turn pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mango and cook until warm. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with steamed jasmine rice.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    288 (this is with the oil)
    Protein:
    19g
    Fat:
    15g (sat 3.9)
    Carbohydrate:
    22g
    Fiber:
    2.4g
    Sodium:
    645mg
    Cholesterol:
    129mg
  • red_july
    red_july Posts: 13
    Options
    shrimp tacos: saute onion and garlic, sprinkle with cumin, chili powder, and lime juice. Add shrimp and once cooked throw it all into a corn tortilla. Serve with brown rice and black beans. Add salsa if wanted.

Toss cooked shrimp into whole wheat linguini, halved cherry tomatoes, wilted spinach, and sprinkled with Parmesean cheese.

shrimp enchiladas: basic concept as the tacos; but add a little low fat cheese. Roll in corn tortilla and cover in canned tomatillo sauce.

shrimp, avacado, and tomato work so well together: play around with it.
  • acook059
    acook059 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! We eat a lot of taco's around here, I've never thought of using shrimp! And I love cocunut, I may try that one this weekend. Appriciate the ideas!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    We're boring, shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, peppers, onions, zucchini....skewered together and bbq'ed with diana sauce, very very good, kids always go back for seconds.