Extra calorie allowance after working out?

Options
Wow! I'm on day two of MFP and entered a workout for the first time today. I completed my diary for today last night (effective tip learned from WW), so I knew exactly what to expect of my day food-wise. I just went in to tweak something on my food diary and noticed that I earned 250 more calories for the day! I know it's important to eat enough every day, but when on Weight Watchers I never realized how valuable the exercise points were from a calorie perspective. Do you all use your extra calories? It makes me nervous because on WW, while I did use my extra exercise points, I never tapped into my flex points without gaining. I know it's not apples to apples, but I guess I need some reassurance before I indulge! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I use just about all of my calories back earned from exercise. I make sure to stay in the green though and I finish many days with 100 calories left to eat. Some people don't eat any back and others eat only half etc etc.

I choose to eat mine back because I lift weights everyday and try to reach my protein goal.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat all of mine back. Heck...it's the only reason I exercise! So that I can eat more! LOL
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oh, you'd better believe I use my exercise cals! Gotta feed the machine, if you want it to run well for you. I initially lost 46# doing it that way, and my exercise was running.. Now I've switched training seasons, and I'm strength training (still running, but not logging nearly as many miles). I have actually gained 10# back, but it's all muscle. I"m actually in the same clothes that I was at my lowest weight, but now I'm tight and strong. And I've gone down another inch in my measurements despite being up 10#. I am a firm believer in fueling the machine.
  • ctychick
    ctychick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh, you'd better believe I use my exercise cals! Gotta feed the machine, if you want it to run well for you. I initially lost 46# doing it that way, and my exercise was running.. Now I've switched training seasons, and I'm strength training (still running, but not logging nearly as many miles). I have actually gained 10# back, but it's all muscle. I"m actually in the same clothes that I was at my lowest weight, but now I'm tight and strong. And I've gone down another inch in my measurements despite being up 10#. I am a firm believer in fueling the machine.

What an inspiring post!

Thanks everyone!
  • ExerGal99
    ExerGal99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too and figured I would use some of them. I will try to judge by how hungry I am. I know it is important to eat enough to fuel the body and you will need more calories the more you exercise.

I think this will be the best tool for me. I have always had a problem figuring out how much I should eat when I exercise. Most diet plans don't really take that into consideration. (I have never done WW, it sounds like they do from your replies)

Thanks!